How have you fared since leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses?

by God_Delusion 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• mindseye
    mindseye

I drifted away pretty young, without getting dunked. It took a while to be completely mentally out. Education helped with that. Honestly, life couldn't be better. Nothing's perfect, of course, but I am very content. I think ex-jws have a special outlook in life, because they appreciate things others often take for granted: having the freedom to learn, exploring authentic spirituality, celebrating holidays, etc.

I do think one's circumstances do effect how good one's post-jw life is. The deeper that you're in, the more difficult the transition. And living with a JW relative or spouse no doubt can make things much more complicated. But it can be done. One of my close friends was a super pioneer, from a hard-core JW family, and got married to a JW girl at a very young age. He eventually got out, got a divorce, and went to college. It was much harder for him than for someone like me, but it was worth it. He couldn't be happier as well.

• harleybear
    harleybear

My life is awesome. My social circle is one really big area that has improved. I now have so many cool friends that are real and fun. All walks of like not just boring JW's. I dress so much more fun now. Stay very physical and the sex is great. 26 years with my hubby and he still makes me crazy.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I suppose the best way to sum up my life now is that my ship has found "fair winds and following seas". That's not to say there aren't challenges to meet, but that I can do so with a strength I did not have before. I am drawing near a coastline and soon will disembark to explore the new land that is opening up before me. I am very excited about that but wish that some of my friends in the org were still with me. However, I am making new friends and rebuilding relationships with my fleshly family. Had I remained a Witness, neither of the foregoing would be true now.

Quendi

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

It will be 3 years since I left in August, and finally I feel like the JW drama has quieted. Yes, my family shuns me...but honestly, I don't miss them like I thought I would. I love college, I am a junior now and looking forward to hopefully an internship next summer. The friend thing is slow going, but I am introverted so making friends is just taking more time than it does for other people. I am happy and sleep easy every night. No regrets!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Aussie Oz:

I like your post and it is interesting how you point out that your depression was circumstantial (as opposed to clinical). You changed your circumstances and presto, the depression was gone. What does that tell you?

C6H1206:

I agree with your "good" side of it: having free time, sleeping in on weekends, not having to deal with fake friends, having holidays and birthdays, no worry about stupid rules and busybodies judging me. Glad I'm done with it.

• gymbob
    gymbob

You all must be liars! How can it be possible to leave The Truth and have a better, happier, less stressful life?? Gotcha!

I know it's very hard at first, when you realize you've been fooled...I know when I learned TTATT, I felt like I'd had my head up my backside my whole life. But after a while, you realize what life is all about. "Worldly" people are not all bad (actually, I personally believe they are better than most JW's).

Also, you learn things like...you won't get struck with lightning when you respond to co-workers/neighbors/strangers by saying, "Merry Christmas to you too", or, "you have a Happy New Year too!" You learn what being a TRUE friend, and TRUE love is. Also Christmas and Thanksgiving are great with what family you have, and grandkids you may have, and most importantly.... family YOU HAVE CHOSEN AS FAMILY.

You realize WHY people have celebrated.....THINGS....anything... for thousands of years! It's fun!

I could go on forever on this subject, but the bottom line is, I have done very, very well since leaving Jehovah's Witnesses. Gym Bob

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

Sex drugs and rock'n'roll!! And loving every minute of it. More true friends than ever, better self esteem, and I'm not afraid of some old men telling me how to think.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I've lost weight, I'm much more relaxed, I have made new friends, my kids are happier, and my sex life is better. I really can't identify a single negative thing about getting out of the borg :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit