Any new light on windows in the KH

by jam 38 Replies latest jw friends

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Our KH had windows and on a hot day they had to open them to cope with the heat as we didn't have aircon. Unfortunately this created a breeze which meant some JW's were a little cold whilst others were a little hot. During such meetings the hall overseer would get dozens of requests to open or close the windows from disgruntled JW's. He couldn't win and there used to be announcements to say he was doing his best. The looks that used to shoot around the hall when someone got their way could kill.

But those windows, when open, were a taste of freedom. Watching the trees move in the sunshine was so uplifting in what felt like a prison. They too wanted to brick them all up during a refurb. Not sure if they got their way - would be nice to think that some other kid imprisoned there will get a view of nature.

mmxiv

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Once, while in a tropical locale, there was a lovely KH built in a plantation house style. It was a gorgeous building, inside and out. It had openable windows. They were frosted! So, you couldn't see the palm trees swaying in the breeze and pretend you were outside.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

The local KHall built in 1987 and remodeled a few years ago has only windows in the front where there was a small meeting room (usually known as the back room, spanking room, elders's room...). Lately I found out that they did away with the library and they tore down the wall separating it from the meeting room to create a larger space for a foreign language group meeting...At least they now can look out and watch the cars go by when the meeting gets boring.

The KHall in surrounding areas have no windows either...

• Stealth
    Stealth

They just build a new hall a couple years ago where I live and it has windows. This could be due to the fact that they built in a subdivision that has restrictions and may have been forced to put them in. Not sure though, I was already gone when they built the new building.

• JWOP
    JWOP

Growing up, my hall had regular sized windows all along the wall on both sides of the auditorium. The library also had a window, and so did the restrooms and the coatroom. Of course, ours was an older hall, so I'm sure the number of windows is "out of date" now.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This remains funny. My law school's main building overlooked Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village. As I walked to the law library, I woud pass many people having fun in the park. Several musical groups would perform. It was agony. One of my more boring classes had large windows looking out over the park. I started to stretch from boredom. Looking out the window for relief, I saw people cavorting on a beautiful spring day. I sighed so hard that it disrupted the whole class. Everyone turned around to look at me and laughed.

I am so old that KHs had windows. The ones in bad neighborhoods (mine) might have iron grating over them. They still let me in some light. I bought some fluourescent bulbs for personal use b/c of my concern for the environment. After two hours, I thought I would go out of my mind. I am now stockpiling incandescent light bulbs.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I wonder if you have to fight for windows.

I was on the building committee, local, and lobbied hard for windows, I got one, on the south end. It was awesome.

I did get the "this is the way they do them now, brother, no windows" and I said we are paying, it is our hall, we want the window.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

After quite a number of KHs were stoned or even worse arsoned: NO WINDOWS!

• mP
    mP

Could it be that windows allow others to look in, perhaps no windows helps pedos attack little kids.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

A hall near where I live has framing and trim that look like openings for windows, but the openings are closed off with siding. It's quite visible from the street and the outdoor tables at the Starbucks next door. IMO, it makes the building look shabby and spoils all the hard work they obviously do keeping it clean, nicely painted, and tending the landscaping.

It's a shame. This would be an attractive building, but having no windows makes it look like a warehouse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit