DC Ramblings: A non-comprehensive review of some lowlights

by sir82 31 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Recently attended the DC.

There have been mny threads already on this, but here are some random thoughts giving my take on what I saw & heard...

-- Attendance was about the same as last year, averaging around 8000 per session. One weird thing was Friday - attendance dwas 8072 Friday morning, but only 7020 on Friday afternoon. I have no idea why 1000 just up and left and lunchtime, but that is just really weird.

-- Number of baptisms dropped, from 43 to 38. I was pretty far away, but I'd say about 1/4 were 12 or younger.

-- Any "worldly" people who got an invitiation and decided to check it out likely left immediately, shaking their head (maybe that's why 1000 people left at lunchtime?)

For example, thre was a demo on Friday about a "sister" receiving an invitation to go to lunch with her handsome boss. Her first inclination was to accept to show him that, quote, "Jehovah's Witnesses are normal too". Then there was a "retake" of the scene, with a "better way to handle it", where the "sister" tells her boss "Thanks, but I use my lunchtime to study the Bible".

And I'm thinking, what the hey? To any normal person off the street, the "approved" reaction to a lunch invitation from workmates is "make sure you come off as an anti-social loon". How in the world is that an attractive message to someone not familiar with JWs? "Hey, join our religion and you too can completely isolate yourself from normal human interaction".

-- The primary scolding occurred in the Friday afternoon talk, "Avoid Testing God In Your Heart"

A few choice quotes (not precisely word for word but pretty close):

"Never murmur about changes in scriptural understanding or organizational adjustments; they are always for our benefit. Examples are the direction from the organization on how to treat disfellowshipped relatives, and making scripturally wise decisions regarding higher education. If you doubt, even secretly in your heart, you are testing Jehovah in your heart."

"Jehovah provides all the spiritual food that is needed - but some feel it is not enough. Some are studying the original Hebrew and Greek that the Bible was written in, as if to check the accuracy of the New World Translation, then discussing their findings in private groups and online. You should read the foreward to the New World Translation. The New World Translation Committee had Jehovah's backing, these other groups do not."

"Elders, ministerial servants, and circuit overseers are appointed theocratically. We should not doubt their qualifications, even in our heart. We also need be on guard against apostates and their comments. Apostates are nothing but constant complainers, and their outcome will be the same as that of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram"

Again, any "worldly" invitation accepter would have left muttering about "paranoid nut cases".

-- Another "JWs come across as loons" talk, on Saturday, "Guard Your Heart Against the Works of the Flesh - Fornication, Uncleanness, Brazen Conduct". A few (again more or less) direct quotes:

"Some forms of dancing are an avenue to flirting. They involve close phyical contact or even imitate sexual activity"

"The Bible condemns all forms of immorality, including homosexuality. Are we homophobic? No. We don't treat gamblers, alcoholics, etc. as 'beneath' us, nor do we do so for homosexuals. Is this cruel and unloving? No: the Bible urges use to refrain from many desires and types of conduct. The world says we must act on all our sexual urges; Jehovah dignifies us by saying we can choose to act on them or not"

-- And another talk in that same symposium, "Drunken Bouts, Revelries, and Things Like These".

"A 'drunken bout' is defined as a lot of alcohol in a short period of time. The world calls it 'binge drinking'. The CDC defines it as 4 or more drinks in a row for females, 5 or more in a row for males."

I thought it was striking that they actually defined how much is "too much". Guess I'll have to cut back to a 4-martini lunch!

"Revelries involve overdrinking, unrestrained behavior, and loud music". There was a demo of the police being called to a rowdy JW party.

And I'm thinking, this is absolutlely not going to fly with the Spanish-language US JWs, who, based on this definition, have "revelries" every weekend.

Those were just the unusually egregious examples of lunacy - of course there were the standard messages of:

-- "Have a problem with [X]? meetings, field service and prayer will solve it"

-- "Give us your money"

-- "Obey us, we are appointed by God"

... sprinkled liberally throughout, as in every DC since, well, forever.

Have not bothered to read the new releases, nor watch either of the videos, yet.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

So glad I dont have to sit thru this crap fest. Thanks for the view though...

I really do feel sorry for any Joe Public turning up at bidding of the JWs invite blitz, they will be followed, made to feel uncomfortable and unwanted, if they manage to get as far as sitting down then they will have a fight or flight reflex within the 1st session and realise it's a cult. Well, here's hoping anyway...

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

"Revelries involve overdrinking, unrestrained behavior, and loud music". There was a demo of the police being called to a rowdy JW party.

This demo had me lol....2 brothers on stage, dancing, pointing around to random people, trying to talk to each other but can't hear above the music. Somehow one brother is able to hear the police knocking on the door. Then the policeman, the brother must have been 60, walked with a limp. At first I thought he was playing an HVAC technician or Mr Goodwrench...his uniform was dark blue work pants, a light blue work shirt and a ball cap. Then the brother explains to the cop is the reason why the neighbors keep complaining about them is because they were Catholic and didn't like them because of their religion...

• sf
    sf

UGH--

LET ME BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR HERE:

When you willingly and fraudulently walk into a kingdom hall and STAY and PARTICIPATE IN ANY WAY (memo: walking in IS participation), YOU HAVE JUST COMPROMISED YOUR CHILDS SPIRIT/ SOUL. PERIOD. YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THAT REALITY.

WHY DO YOU STILL WALK INTO THOSE DEATH HALLS AND SIT DOWN AND PARTICIPATE IN WHAT YOU....K N O W.....IS LETHAL TO NOT JUST THE CHILDREN IN THERE BUT THE ONES YOU ENCOUNTER IN YOUR 'MINISTRY'...OUR CHILDREN!!!

HOW DARE YOU.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Thanks for the report from the inside sir82!!

om

• Room 215
    Room 215

"Jehovah provides all the spiritual food that is needed - but some feel it is not enough. Some are studying the original Hebrew and Greek that the Bible was written in, as if to check the accuracy of the New World Translation, then discussing their findings in private groups and online. You should read the foreward to the New World Translation. The New World Translation Committee had Jehovah's backing, these other groups do not."

... So I guess we older JWs will hae to expunge the Kingdom Interlinear Translation of The Christian Greek Scriptures (of which they produced at least 850,000) and Wilson's The Empahtic Diaglott from out home libraries. ....

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Thanks sir82!

Your report helps those of us who are out know what tripe is being fed to our loved ones.

• baltar447
    baltar447

sf - chill out, he probably has a good reason for going. Trying to gradually get his family out for example.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    "A 'drunken bout' is defined as a lot of alcohol in a short period of time. The world calls it 'binge drinking'. The CDC defines it as 4 or more drinks in a row for females, 5 or more in a row for males."

I thought this was being pretty generous myself!

. . . and a shameless plug for my thread, 'Thought Reform and the Psychology of the Safeguard Your Heart 2012 Convention'

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Jehovah provides all the spiritual food that is needed - but some feel it is not enough. Some are studying the original Hebrew and Greek that the Bible was written in, as if to check the accuracy of the New World Translation, then discussing their findings in private groups and online. You should read the foreward to the New World Translation. The New World Translation Committee had Jehovah's backing, these other groups do not."

So I wonder what this says about people who read Watchtower literature? Obviously, the Bible "is not enough", by their logic. The other thing is, having God's approval and being able to translate ancient Hebrew and Greek into English are two very different things--unless the speaker/the Society is claiming to have the ability to translate tongues by means of holy spirit. Otherwise, some academic credentials might be worth mentioning, you know?

The other thing is, the Watchtower itself routinely quotes from scholarly research on the original Hebrew and Greek themselves. Aren't they essentially indicating by doing so that they don't feel what Jehovah has provided is enough? The only difference between their research and private findings and mine is that one of us can publish said research in a magazine distributed worldwide and have it accepted as gospel, and the other is branded as a heretic and shunned.

So...are we really surprised that 1,000 people left at lunchtime? It was the only time you could sneak out without anyone wondering where you were going, so...why not? I, uh, left my cooler in the car. I'll...go see if it's okay....

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit