Preparing to "flee to the mountains"?

by NanaR 46 Replies latest members private

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Around these parts people flee FROM the mountains when wildfires go sweeping through them.

flee the wildfires

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Check this thread from Flipper a few months ago: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/222924/1/4-15-WT-WTS-Pridefully-says-they-can-Guide-JWs-past-Armageddon

This is the official line, some JWs may of course take it upon themselves to "prep" more then others.

• blondie
    blondie

After showing they did not know where the sheep were during the 2005 Katrina fiasco, the WTS started a basic preparedness process.

*** km 5/07 p. 3 Announcements ***Bodies of elders should review the July 6, 2006, letter regarding disaster preparedness and ensure that they have up-to-date contact information for each publisher. In disaster-prone areas, additional emergency contact information should be obtained. Of course, in addition to emergency situations, it is helpful when publishers communicate with their Congregation Book Study overseer or another elder if they will be away for extended periods, such as when traveling on vacation or business, during a hospital stay, and so forth.

*** w11 12/1 p. 6 Coping With Natural Disasters ***

Haveaplanofaction. In spite of all precautions taken, you may still find yourself a victim of an unexpected tragedy. Coping with it will be much easier if you have planned in advance. This is also in harmony with the advice at Proverbs 22:3, quoted earlier. Do you have an emergency kit prepared and ready to go? The publication 1-2-3 of Disaster Education recommends including the following items: First-aid supplies, bottled water, nonperishable food, and important documents. It would also be wise to review with your family the types of disasters that could take place and what could be done in each case.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I can attest that the previous posters were correct, in that this is simply a standard emergency preparedness measure that everyone should follow-- no mentions of the Big A or the Great Tribulation when the recommendations have been read in my hall.

The ONE thing that freaks me out a little (or a lot, actually) is that the Emergency Contact form they have everyone complete asks for the contact information for close relatives outside of the area. It completely makes sense from a normal emergency planning perspective, but I remember reading a letter (or "Flock" book scan?) that directed the elders to contact extended family members in an effort to track down (read: hound) a [faded/MIA] publisher, should the elders want to meet with him [for a potential JC].

As my Service Group Overseer handed me a pen and insisted I fill it out while he stood there so he could collect it on the spot, I couldn't help but think that this form could easily be referenced to help track down faders that have (tried to) fall off the grid.

R_O

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

kinda funny live in the mountains..... WV was the worst hit state from the last storm but the LAST state to be helped by the Government. We have no power and may not for over a week.... lost all our food we couldn't grill...... I'm not there anymore took my 1st real shower in 5 days. yikes run to the mountains only if your neighbors love you... the mountain neighbors that is

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I personally have a BUG OUT BAG because of the possibily of a major disaster. This is a good idea. My mom however has an Armageddon bag. The GB will often create thoughts by induction. They will say "brothers you should have a bag ready in case SOMETHING happens", but will always stop short of saying that it is for "the end" This way, they create a sense of urgency while avoiding making specific predictions.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I think it means having a ready supply of toilet paper, flashlights, and food from the 4 Major Food Groups: Wine, Beer, Chips and Salsa.

Rub a Dub

• NanaR
    NanaR

Thanks for all the replies! This talk is scaring an elderly JW woman that I care about. She thinks she is actually going to have to go somewhere with that backpack.

We recently lost power for 49 hours. We were somewhat prepared, had flashlights and food that didn't have to be cooked. Having extra supplies is simply prudent.

But telling elderly folks that they are going to have to be prepared to survive in the Appalachian mountains is just crazy.

NanaR

• NanaR
    NanaR

About the comment re literature: As quickly as the JW literature gets outdated, you'd spend a lot of time updating that buried stock.

NanaR

• jgnat
    jgnat

I had three - visceral and off topic - reactions to this thread.

I'm LIVING in the mountains already! Love it!

Did you know that the Mormons do this as a matter of course? They are a little more organized about it, though.

After being involved on an emergency preparadeness team at work, I became more aware and made a 72 hour kit of my own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit