Has Anyone Seen "Prometheus"?

by Low-Key Lysmith 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• Terry
    Terry

Movies are not about solving problems, answering questions or curing cancer or connecting the dots of reality.

Movies--at their very best--are about Art.

Art changes us in some way. It can make us uncomfortable. It can make is think or search or merely experience our own emotional values.

Sci-Fi generates ideas which, then, we or others can explore as a launching pad for genuine creation/innovation in real world settings.

Remember Flash Gordon in the 30's or H.G.Welles novels before that? Such creative ideas spawned technological advances by planting seeds that flourished in the human imagination decades later.

What is it Sir Isaac Newton famously said? "If I have seen farther than others it is because I have stood on the shoulders of GIANTS."

Prometheus gives us real giants!

Would there have been a space program in the U.S. if not for the foundation of sci-fi?

And were it not for the technology developed trying to beat the Russians and get to the moon and back---would we have tiny hand-held iPhones, internet, Wi-Fi, laptops, HD TV and Blu-Ray, miniature circuits, etc. etc. etc.??

Prometheus isn't a template movie where you plug in characters and go from A to B to C and have resolution.

Deeper (and Spiritually themed) issues are explored. (Not nailed down.)

The Engineers were self-sacrificing Johnny Appleseed altruists spawning ever-evolving life forms.

But, Evil appears when non-self-sacrificing life forms evolve and taint their Elixir with mutation.

The creators are destroyed by their own creation. (All but one, apparently).

This means the Creator's impulse is to regret.

This film's central theme takes place on Christmas. Keep that in mind.

We have a sort of Virgin Birth episode after a chilling Annuciation. Slaughter of the Innocents and, if not a Crucifixion, a sacrifice of lives

to prevent the extinction of others.

I saw the film twice.

The first time I was clueless.

I read interviews with the Director and writers.

Then, I saw it again with a basic knowledge of the "Religious" undertones and enjoyed the hell out of it more knowingly.

Your mileage may differ according to your preconceived expectations and values....

• darth frosty
  • tec
    tec

I loved it too, despite the reviews.

I'm pretty sure it 'flew in the face' of evolution though, Low-key... so do you think mankind was seeded then?

S'cool. Just curious, hon.

Peace,

tammy

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Wow! Lots O' haters.

I try not to dissect films too much. If I'm entertained, then good enough for me. I was entertained by Prometheus. Sure, there are some holes, but overall, I thought it was imaginitive, well acted (Fassbender), and well filmed. Ridley Scott can do no wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

Low-key... so do you think mankind was seeded then?

Absolutely. As I said in a previous post, the theory makes more sense in my feeble little brain than the idea of a sky genie with a magic wand.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Man, I think expectations account for a lot here. I went into this one expecting more depth, since it [ambitiously] set out to tackle man's origins.

Terry, for my tastes (which are just that, neither right nor wrong), any philosophical morsels were both cheapened and eclipsed by awkward dialogue, cliches, and conduct unbefitting real scientists.

• Snake-like alien creature flares it's hood in what any normal biologist would assume is threatened or threatening manner... but our biologist laughs like an idiot and tries to tickle it. Alien subsequently kills him. What did he expect? Like the two ladies running from the giant rolling space bracelet at the end, I have to assume this scene was scripted by the same writer who makes heroes casually stroll away from explosions in action flicks... because that's what they're supposed to do.
    • Geologist has awesome hovering toys to map out tunnels and track life forms. I was still into the movie at that point. Despite this awesome tech, he gets lost. Why did he get lost? Well everyone can't die at the same time.

Had I gone to see an alien-wreaks-havok-on-a-spaceship movie, I think I might've been less picky. OR if I'd had a few beers, maybe I'd have been less uptight about it all. Instead, I left the theater frustrated, arguing with my buddy, "No way she could've jumped that gap and walked away with her bowels intact."

• tec
    tec

Okay, I have to agree with your two bullet points there, SBC, lol... however, I love the alien franchise, and I simply overlooked these couple of silly plot... um... oopsies ;)

Peace,

tammy

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I saw it. Like you Terry I need to do some reading on it before I see it again. I did feel it presented some interesting notions on the possibilities of our origins.

Isaac

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

My wife and I enjoyed it.

It's a monster movie. The attempts at adding philosophy to the film detracted from it. Several characters were unnecessary.

Still, the core of the film is Noomi Rapace's performance, with Fassbender being a close second.

It's not entirely unlike Alien or Aliens.

The YouTube video pointing out the problems is hilarious. All of these issues are minor, however, if you want to enjoy a good monster movie.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I liked it purely as a SF movie ! It didn`t have to be beleivable,factual,scientifically accurate ? or medically accurate , it`s a Movie for your entertainment,leave your brain out the door as you would in the majority of movies today " IT`s ENTERTAINMENT "

smiddy

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

yes, in 3d, great movie, agree pretty much what smiddy said

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit