Has Anyone Seen "Prometheus"?

by Low-Key Lysmith 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• Azazel
    Azazel

ditto the above two responses

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

I seen it a few weeks ago. It made me kind of angry with the characters actions. I too, was dumbfounded with the way a team of scientists reacted on a new planet wit new organisms. It's things on this planet you wouldn't touch, let alone on some unknown planet. People aren't that naive. While watching it, I did think of religion but not to the degree that was really represented in the movie. I'll have to see it again. There's a pretty good breakdown of it on YouTube. The guy "RallisP" goes chapter by chapter on it. He does makes assumptions and comes off as cynical at times.

I don't know how to embed the video. Sooooo.....if someone can do it for me.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k-YjyI2_K30

• Low-Key Lysmith
  • kepler
    kepler

Didn't see the movie. As a matter of fact, was more curious about another (partial) space opera, about a planet named "Melancholia" that ends up destroying the set. An update on "When Worlds Collide" - but in a way a little more plausible.

From time to time had heard of the notion that life on earth got its head start from elsewhere. Francis Crick, one of the discoverers of DNA back in the early 50s, about a decade or so later went around suggesting that life on Earth got started, maybe if some aliens had stopped by and left their garbage here.

Or other variations, that elementary lifeforms or advanced organic chemistry compounds are abundant galaxy wide and drift around, or that places like Mars where it could have got an earlier start, contaminated the earth via impact debris from other collisions that got knocked off the surface. We've got the martian meteorites of recent arrival, picked off glacier surfaces in Antarctica or Greenland - but the arguments that microbial formations were anything that once lived - far short of a scientific consensus - but the search goes on.

What I have heard about the movie though is that there is some Space Odyssey early scene of an alien 3.5 billion years ago seeding the earth with some bacteria or something - and then, like "The Search for Spock" or "Nemo", people from Earth take off looking for the guy.

Well, exo-planets aren't exactly like the moon hanging around nearby in the sky. If the little green men from billions of years back came from planet Zong orbiting star Zing, both Earth and Zing-Zong are orbiting the center of the galaxy. Their paths are arbitrary. They are two stars in a crowd of a couple hundred billion. What would place them in proximity now? How could you tell?

And what do you know! From what I hear it's like the identical twins that were raised by adoptive parents. We named our dogs fido; so did the aliens. We grew up to be firemen. So did the aliens. And it all started with archeobacteria or whatever. The aliens must have got impatient about their plans having to wait until the Pre-Cambrian for anything multi-cellular to show up. But they had a dream, ... I guess. How did the dinosaurs fit into the scheme? I guess they needed to have a 200 million year jungle picture episode. All gets wrapped up in the 23rd century though, right?

That business about "Melancholia". I don't know if the director had any idea, but as the exo-planet picture has been getting clearer, part of the clarity is that a whole lot of planets get ejected out of star systems. Maybe one for every star. Space is pretty empty, true, but I can remember when people debated about whether there were any planets at all, much less whether they were any running loose like the home of Ming the Merciless, the planet Mongo. Maybe a chilled down Neptune. 2012, 2013 a chance in a million, true. But if aimed right,an interloper like that could put a kabosh on an eterna corporate party on a paradise earth.

• mind blown
    mind blown

It was good but I was a little disappointed. The directing and movie was a bit off (hinting more David had an alterior motive and Ugh, Theron was exactly like her character in Snow White and the Huntsmen) also they may have cut story line or bad editing = hack job

Maybe this could be the reason...from Wiki:

On 31 July 2009, news surfaced of a two part prequel to Alien [ 23 ] with Scott attached to direct. [ 24 ] The project, ultimately reduced to a single film called Prometheus, which Scott described as sharing "strands of Alien's DNA" while not being a direct prequel, was released in June 2012.

I dunno..... I'm thinking Scientology influenced/inspired.....

• still thinking
    still thinking

It was a great documentary...especially in 3D....I enjoyed it....LOL

• smiddy
    smiddy

Overall I enjoyed it , after all it is science fiction ,however their were a few times I thought" yeah right" ,movies like this you gotta just leave your brain at home ( like being at a meeting )

smiddy

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

What smiddy said.

I enjoyed the movie. But then, I didn't go into it with the expectation of having life's mysteries explained to me. It was just a movie.

• kepler
    kepler

Memories return of previous pictures about aliens and viewer impressions.

Decades ago, one of the local UFO enthusiasts was asked if he had seen "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind." Yes, he had. But he didn't like it, because "Actually, it was not realistic."

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

All serious philosophical analysis aside, I was disappointed with the movie. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I felt the film was a bit uneven and the ending was a big disappointment...I walked away with a "where's the payoff" feeling. I saw it in IMAX and didn't feel it was worth the $30 per ticket price tag!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit