Has Anyone Seen "Prometheus"?

by Low-Key Lysmith 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I loved it! But then, it went right along with my own personal beliefs concerning mankind's origins, so I'm a little biased.

Wondering what a religious person's thoughts would be?

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Forget religious persons. Did you ever wonder what a "scientific" person would think? In my case: ehhhhhh....

Chariots of the Gods nonsense again.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Why is alien engineering any more ridiculous an idea than creationism? I think it's a hell of a lot more plausible. I'm not saying I'm 100% convinced of the idea of an alien race engineering our DNA and planting us on this planet that was grown FOR us, but it makes A LOT more sense than the idea of a sky genie going "poof! There's a cow". "Poof! There's an elephant".

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

Well, you still have the problem, as said in the movie even, of where did the Engineers come from? "Poof! There's an alien!"

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

I saw Prometheus and I thought it was a creative way to explain human origin. I don't know what to believe anymore so I watched the film purely for entertainment.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Welllll, my buddy really liked it. I thought it had good potential, what with the origins of the human species written into the plotline, but I got hung up on a coupla details that distracted me and brought it down the rest of the show.

SPOILER ALERT. Kinda.

First, I know it's sci-fi... it's not supposed to be realistic. But I mean, c'mon, they could've written SOMETHING in the screenplay to explain how a chick could basically compete in a triathalon after undergoing a self-imposed C-Section and being tacked back together. I would even accept her disappearing into the hi-tech healing pod and coming back out with a fresh scar... if we hadn't seen all that happened. (Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic.) But no. She's sliced across the abdomen, spread open, alien removed, staples and we're done. Now get back out there and run the bleachers, ya pansy.

Everytime she'd leap over a ravine or run 100 yards, I expected to see a trail of intestines. Do you know how many times I was disappointed?

Also, this movie reminded me that when I see a giant wheel rolling towards me, I will strafe left or right a few feet instead of running directly down its path.

• darthweef
    darthweef

Was not a huge fan of the movie .. pacing was off, I have no idea why Charlize Theron is in that movie, her character seemed completely pointless. I share SBC's skeptism about being able to move, let alone run jump and play, after that type of surgery.

Also, it seems a little ignorant to assume that aliens would come, seed their DNA on this planet, and then 3.5 billion years later here we are .. a race that looks identical to them.. Evolution just doesn't work that way. The odds of us looking ANYTHING like a pregenitor species are astronomical.

I also was EXTREMELY dissapointed by the lead up and execution of meeting the aliens. The whole freaking movie is about going to meet them, and when you finally get to a being that has been evolving for at least 4 billion years, the only thing it does is rip off a head, kick someone and run away?! Really!? let down.

I also was a little perturbed by the fact that it seems they are ignoring the AVP cannon that has established that the predator race created the aliens, not the Engineers, but that was a very minor issue.

Positive -- Michael Fassbender.. He was freaking amazing in the movie, and was pretty much the only thing that salvaged it for me.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Worst of the series since Alien, what, 4? All it did was establish where the Alien critter came from, and that there will be more sequels, none of which promises (based on this turkey) to be any good.

• PrincessPeachz
    PrincessPeachz

" this movie reminded me that when I see a giant wheel rolling towards me, I will strafe left or right a few feet instead of running directly down its path" - Haha @SweetBabyCheezits, three of us sitting in a row watching this were all "Run to the side, C'MON RUN TO THE SIDE... WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU???".

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Lowkey - conceptually, what really is the difference between alien genetic engineering and God? Who created the aliens that engineered humans, and so on and so on? Why couldn't God just be the most ancient evolved 'alien'?

All mainstream Hollywood movies are basically disappointing these days. The audiences are not as mature and discerning as they used to be. They mostly just want remakes and Marvel comic heros.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit