The Photoshop Tutorial page.

by ScenicViewer 29 Replies latest social entertainment

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

In FlyingHighNow's wildflower page, she asked how an image could be added to another photo, and I thought to reply in a new thread.

I have noticed there are plenty of experienced Photoshop users on this board who would likely have many tips to share with other users.

Feel free to ask questions, or provide answers here. My experience is limited, but I will help where I can, and I hope to learn from others.

There are many capable programs other than Photoshop, so feel free to post about any of them you are familiar with.

There is often an easier way to do something, so any shortcuts are welcome!

How To Add an Image to Another Photo

There are a number of ways to accomplish this move, but here is a common way to do it.

1) Select the 'Jesus' image by drawing around it with the Lasso tool.

Tip: It's hard to draw the whole selection in one move. I usually draw around the image in small portions until it's finished. After drawing out the first portion you must hold down the Shift key on all later additions to the selection. By doing this, if you make a mistake you can easily go back one step and redo that small part. If you tried to do the whole selection in one step, and made a mistake, you would need to start the whole selection process from the beginning.

2) Delete everything but the selected area. You will need to invert the selection. Use Menu Select > Inverse. Now hit the Delete key (or Backspace key).

3) Move the 'Jesus' image to the picture file you want it to be in. With both files open, simply activate the Move tool, click on 'Jesus' and hold it, then drag it to the other file and let go.

4) You can now drag the image to where you want it, and resize it as needed.

5) Manipulate the color if it helps, in this case to make it match the trees. I also reduced the opacity of 'Jesus,' making it a little transparent. I wanted to make the Jesus image even more faint, or transparent, than it is, but the ripply water in the background interfered with that; it looked awful. (See finished photo)

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for that. I am a beginner with PS I have a good tutorial book and CD but never find time to work through it

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Cofty,

I have a few books too, but they don't seem to do me much good. I tend to learn from knowledgable people much faster than from books.

• fugue
    fugue

Mask, don't delete. Never delete.

• cofty
    cofty

Please elaborate fugue

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

"Mask, don't delete. Never delete"

Yes, pleas explain more. I'm not sure P. Elements has the masking feature, but then maybe I'm just not familiar enough with it.

Also, when deleting, I would do it to a copy of an image, if it was an image I wanted to keep, never to an original. In the case of the 'Jesus' image, it was a one-time thing and I had no need to keep the original.

• snowbird
    snowbird

bump

• snowbird
    snowbird

Try placing Him here.

• Nellie
    Nellie

I never learned to use Photoshop - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Microsoft PhotoDraw that's obsolete now (and also not as powerful) - As much as I want to know how to use it, I'm always overwhelmed by the steps it takes to do anything. Any suggestions for a less powerful program that more user-friendly?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Whoa! I am 'marking' this as I have no idea what the hell I am doing in photoshop.

Let's put it this way: I rubber stamp everything. I highly doubt this this a 'best practice.'

Thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit