Ultimately it is the child who should stop the abuse according to the GB!

by life is to short 204 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cult classic
    cult classic

Particularly to those who have been abused, the article's instruction and that picture can stir painful emotions and memories. But the information is not dissimilar to what I've read and heard elsewhere. How WT handles real-life cases is a different issue. One we all agree needs to change. I do know elders and JW's who have handled the matter with the seriousness it deserves and contacted authorities.

It seems the tension in this thread is based on a misunderstanding. JT's and fleaman's initial comments simply stated they didn't take issue with the advice given in the book. A couple other posters did not either. They were subsequently accused of not understanding the seriousness of child abuse. They were also accused of supporting WT's mishandling of child abuse cases. That's not fair.

Even among those who have been abused, experiences will vary.

• life is to short
    life is to short

That is amazing Pistoff-

Because that is exactly what happened to me. I truly thought it was only in my hall. There was this pedophile that moved into my hall in 2006 the pedophile had dated my sister about 12 years before and in fact had even been engaged to her. I did not get along with the pedophile while he was dating my sister and it was the only way I found out he was a pedophile as the elders had keep it secret, my sister let it slip. My elder husband convinced me that the elders were handing it OK. We were at Bethel at the time they were dating so I really was not around to see how the elders were truly handing it.

So my sister took in a roommate who had a little seven year old girl while she was engaged and the pedophile dumped my sister for the roommate and married her in just a couple of months. He did not believe in waiting long. The little girl reported to the school that he had touched her with in weeks but then the girl recanted her story and of course the pedophile who had been prison denned that he had touched her so nothing was done. I lost track of this guy expect at one assembly he came up to my husband and I with four little girls on his arms and just snickered at me. His wife had given him a new daughter and he had his step daughter and two other little girls flanking him. He was so proud of himself. I walked away from him sick. I dogged my husband over the fact that he had not only his two daughter with him but what about the other two children. They were all under the age of ten. My husband convinced me again that the elders were handing it OK.

I guess I just wanted to believe it so bad as I had been told from birth that this is the true religion.

Then Date line came in 2002 and again my husband convinced me that it was wrong even though I had known Joe at Bethel I had not known Barbara. I think I still wanted to bury my head in the sand like fleaman it was easier. Then my parents who abused me sexually died in 2003 and 2005. The elders treated me like garbage. One elder yelled at me that I was not a good daughter to my parents in the KH, an elders wife told me I was the worst child that she had ever seen and I was the same as an adult, yet before my dad died when he was still living at his home he once threatened to kill her and she called me up demanding I do something. I told her threatened to kill me my whole life what I am I supposed to do?

My parents truly did sexually abuse me and now I really and truly wonder what the elders knew and kept hidden. My parents were best friends with one elder and his wife when I was a baby and we always had elders coming over to the house. I now think how could they not have known.

Anyway I digressed so this pedophile moved in and I told the elders he was a pedophile, they flipped out at me asking me how I knew, the secretary yelled at me in the hall to the point I was sobbing demanding how I knew this guy was a pedophile.

Even though we had a attorney in the hall, he would not get the police and court records. So I figured out how to, totally blew the elders minds. The CoBE was totally blown away asking how in the world I did it. Anyway the court records said he was an incurable sexual psychopath highly likely to reoffend. So get this I make copies for all the elders take them to the meeting and NOT ONE ELDER would take a copy expect the CoBE. Not the secretary who had just yelled at me demanding to know how I knew. One elder put his hand up like the little girl in the picture as if to say NO, NO, NO I will not look at what you have. I was totally blown away.

First they called me a liar when I told them this man was a pedophile then when I bring them proof they would not take it.

My world fell apart that night in the KH. Everything started to crumble. The hell I had just went through with the elders and my parents, at which time I think I had a slight nervous breakdown now this.

Dateline of 2002 was staring me in the face. I could not deny it was happening. I so wanted to be like fleaman and hide my head in the sand and say it was not true. But it was right in my face, I could not just walk away even if I wanted to. These elders were my friends, I had, had them to my home for dinner, I tried and tired to reach out to them and yet they all turned on a dime over a pedophile and seemed to hate me.

That was when I told a mom an elders wife in fact about the pedophile and she told me that there were two more pedophiles. I was totally blown away. One of the things I had done when we switched halls over my parents was that I met with the whole body of elders and I told them very clearly that I did not want to ever be around pedophiles. I told the whole body that my parents had sexually abused me, etc. Yet the first thing the whole body did was make my then elder husband who had been an elder for over 25 years the book study overseer of a level 3 sex offender and this sex offender brought in another sex offender he had been buddies with in prison. This was all done within the first month of us being in the hall. The elders sure do not waste time when they want to something. Informing parents takes years but putting me with a pedophile took just four weeks.

I always fed the speaker and I had the JW's over for dinner a lot as I loved to entertain. I had this pedophile in my home at least half a dozen times. Granted as the attorney elder pointed out to me very snidely what was the big deal as I do not have kids. The big deal is I asked not to have child molesters around me and the elders agreed. That was the big deal. I was so hurt. Even my husband was forbidden to tell me. He said he was not even told himself for about the first year we were in the hall. He was an elder and he was not told. Another elder moved into the hall with little kids and that elder was not told. My husband finally learned that this guy was a child molester and was holding the other elders kids so my husband told the elder father, who told his wife who told me.

I was sick, the pedophile had mentored a boy in the hall had taken care of his sister who was mentally handicapped, he had a sleepover in his back yard for the kids, one of the elders grandsons was invited. All while I did not know. Once I found out I flipped out hugely. I was beyond pissed.

When the elders wife told me I went straight from the KH to the local Cop Shop we have here and checked the registry for sex offenders. There he was along with his buddy, I then went home and checked my computer and there he was again along with his buddy.

I thought I was going to throw up. My husband and I got into a huge fight because he never told me, he said he was not allowed to tell me.

Until this day that still hurts, my own husband was not allowed to tell me. What kind of marriage do I have? This was back in 2007 and it still hurts that my husband remained loyal to a stupid religion over me.

Well I flipped out like I said and the attorney elder told me exactly what you wrote Pistoff that the pedophile did not do the crime because he told the whole body he didn't. I knew at that time that this pedophile had been in prison for eight years for raping a eight year old child.

Turns out according to the attorney elder he only took the rap for his son who was the one who raped the child. The attorney elder said that the pedophile told the whole body of elders he did not do it and no man would lie to a whole body of elders so they had to believe him over a court of law.

My whole world fell apart that day. It is exactly what you have said Pistoff.

So when ones like fleaman and JT spout off about that great polices the Jehovah's Witnesses have it makes me so sick.

LITS

• cult classic
    cult classic

LITS - I feel your pain.

Sadly, even in the non-JW world it can be difficult to get justice for victims of child abuse. That's why the high-profile cases are such victories and strike a chord across society.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Cult Classic

You hit the nail on the head when you said particularly to those who have been abused, the article's instruction and that picture can stir painful emotions and memories.

It was the picture that did it for me and that was what I meant from the beginning of this thread. It was all I truly did mean. Yes the words were somewhat right about telling someone you are being abused. But who is a child supposed to tell? It is such a closed society that the Jehovah's Witnesses live in.

Again from the very begging that picture just haunts me, it will pop into my mind just out of the blue as to me it is just so sad. To me it one of the most unbelievably sad pictures I have ever seen.

Just looking at it makes me what to cry. How can a little girl fend off a child molester like that.

It was all I truly ever meant with this post, no child by just holding up her hand can ever fend off a child molester like they are showing.

LITS

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I am sorry you went through that LITS.

To those who have direct experience with the sickening policies of the WT regarding child sexual abuse, that picture in the children's book is enraging because it is in direct contradiction to what they PRACTICE.

They do not protect children, the policy does not protect children, the net effect is protection of the abuser, over and over and over again.

It is NOT certain that it is good advice. Empowering children, maybe, but to think a 5 year old will be able to understand they are being manipulated by a predator and hold up their hand is preposterous.

How many stories will fleaman, et al, have to hear about how entire elder bodies are deceived by level 3 sex offenders to understand that a 5 year old is not able to fend them off??

• life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks cult classic

I just feel so sad for what children go through.

LITS

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    They were subsequently accused of not understanding the seriousness of child abuse. They were also accused of supporting WT's mishandling of child abuse cases.

No; what fleaman took issue with is the description of the WT as a pedophile paradise.

When they don't turn in child abusers, and they don't consider a plea deal a confession, and they don't warn new congregations of past accusations OR convictions, what else can you call it?

How can it be overstated?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    Turns out according to the attorney elder he only took the rap for his son who was the one who raped the child. The attorney elder said that the pedophile told the whole body of elders he did not do it and no man would lie to a whole body of elders so they had to believe him over a court of law.

And there in a nutshell is the way the WT handles things. They don't understand predators; the GB believes their own press that they speak for Jehovah, and elder bodies follow the 'slave'. Really, they are so gullible in this case there are no words to describe.

It is a recipe for repeated abuse of children, and destroyed families.

Only repeated losses in court will force a real change in policy.

• cult classic
    cult classic

LITS - That picture makes my stomach churn.

I understand what you're saying 100%.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

fleaman

What if they are wrong?

What if you are wrong about them?

..and vice versa?

Actually I and most people here have already asked and answered those questions - honestly. It was hard to accept that what we had been told was the "truth" turned out to be a con and a lie. That kind of betrayal is really hard to accept but we did it. We now know they were wrong and that I was wrong to believe them

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit