Just wanted to say...

by tec 90 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

... how truly great this place is.

I have not been on many forums, but I think this one is unique and strong in a very important way. It is of course a support group for those exiting the WTS, or trying to deal with remaining within it, first and foremost. But the awesome thing about this place is how it welcomes everyone. Atheist, agnostic, religious people and/or people of faith; muslims, jews, christians (in all their various forms), hindus (if we had any), pagans, buddhists, and anything else that i cannot think of. I can learn about science, politics, share with others of faith, keep up to date on current events, and I can do so with people all over the world.

With this much diversity, and this many people, we are bound to have disagreements of course... some very heated. Some of us can shake hands and walk away after that; some of us cannot. But we are most of us still here. Still discussing. Still learning from one another; still seeking to understand one another; still drawing comfort or offering it TO one another; still healing, or helping others TO heal.

It is easy(ier) to get along with and show respect to like-minded people. It is much harder to get along with and show respect for people whose world view is different (and sometimes even opposite) of your own.

So kudos to Simon and the mods for the effort they put into this place.

And kudos to everyone who continues to share, to listen, to learn, and to grow in understanding and tolerance of one another.

Peace to all,

tammy

• dingo1
    dingo1

i agree but unfortunantly many noobs have been driven away. x jdubs still retain their lack of trust. some are cliquish, some are douches and some are still funked by beliefs. so vent. piss on the haters and cliques. kinda like being at a meeting. say what you say and do you. im unknown and dont care. WHATEVER

• tec
    tec

Oh, I know that not everyone here welcomes everyone who comes here. Some people can be downright intolerant and hateful (but they're here, and perhaps learning better)

But this place welcomes everyone (provided you follow the rules, and there is a fair amount of leeway shown in those). I'm just appreciating that a lot right now, and wanted to express that.

Peace,

tammy

• dingo1
    dingo1

peace. we are all on the same page. we are mind funked and shouldnt be beefing over semantics. we are all dealing with mind funks in diff. ways. i will ask a truce in the name of the daddy his bastard and the holy spook. no diss. LETS ALL GET ALONG. we were all bamboozled. please support one another. judge not. pm me if you are feeling rejected. i hate all ppl too.

• tec
    tec

For you, Dingo: a hug and a You sound like you could use them right about now.

Thank you for your offer of peace in return. I accept :)

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hear, hear.

One of the best things I've learned since being on here is that I don't know jack.

That is a good thing.

Good thread, Tammy.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for the thread and the thoughts, when I first discovered this place that is what I loved about it, it was inclusive, O.K we give short shrift to Trolls and we do not suffer fools gladly, but most of us realise we came here knowing very little, and we learned from older members and their wisdom, which in their lov ethey shared with us.

I find no difficulty at all with anyone who does not share my world-view, I am a non-believer so you and I, dear Tec, are in opposite camps, but I respect your views and your right to hold them, and I love you for staying here and showing new members what a reasonable believer is like, for some, your faith and attitude must be such a comfort, to find themselves totally amongst non-believers would be of little or no help at all !

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

That’s a very nice sentiment to express Tammy.

This board continues to offer support and help to damaged people leaving the Watchtower Society. It fills a space for those who are feeling lost and often alone. At the same time as they have lost their belief in a new world, and Jehovah’s approval, they are shunned by those they love. They are able to share their loss and heal by talking with the people here, amny of whom are ex-Jehovah's Witnesses.

It has helped me to feel validated in my decision to leave the Watchtower Society, and I like to think I have in some small way tried to give something back. Debate can be helpful in helping people to adopt a new way of assimilating information and coming to an independent conclusion with out the heavy hand of the Watchtower Society on their shoulder.

Here’s to the forum lasting many more years.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Indeed Tammy.

When folk are permitted to speak their mind, I guess it can sometimes be brutal, confronting and challenging.

At the same time it can also be very liberating and stimulating.

I'm appreciating developing social skills after being born into a supremacist socially destructive environment and spending several decades there.

I am amazed at the variety and level of skills that are unleashed in free people.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

This is a good place - it helped my mother and myself tremendously when we came out 6 years ago - there are still some of those oldies around and I miss some of the other "faces". We came here ranting and raving trying to prove or disprove that and the members opened up their reservoirs of research, we debated, we talked, I met a friend for life on here. I left again when I outgrew it, BUT then the thought struck me that if everyone outgrew this place - where would I be.

That is why I pop back, read the topics and offer a kind word or encouragement to those that need it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit