What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Going For Them?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

There MUST be a reason JWs stay or people join.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Jehovah's chosen organization?

Seriously, what they offer is a product not available on earth currently - Everlasting life in paradise earth

How ya gonna beat that?

• whathehadas
    whathehadas

indoctrination......"We are the friends, they are the enemies, and this is why?" A person comes into the Org for the first part-friends- and then they start to believe the other half.

• minimus
    minimus

Most came in believing they'd have everlasting life AND never die at all. Now, they're no different than any other religion.

• darthweef
    darthweef

They get hope ... some people just can't grasp a life without some sort of reward/punishment system tied on to the back end. For the JW's they get a "real hope" that they can count on, so they don't have to fear anything .. not even death.

Many would stay even if they knew without a doubt that it was not true, simply because they can not bear living without belief.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

minimus: There MUST be a reason JWs stay or people join.

1. The reason people join: The promise of a Paradise Earth TM - No crime, no violence, no more war or hunger and even no more death! Ya' gotta' admit, that sounds pretty good.
    2. The reason JWs stay: Leave and you will be shunned by all your JW friends and family and then at Armageddon Jehovah will kill you!

Have a nice day!

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

Why do they join?

What is presented to them sounds good. But people don't ask the right questions about what they are taught. Ex. What happens in detail if later I decide to not be part of this organisation that I am joining?

As a result, they cannot truly evaluate the pros and cons of what they are getting in to.

And they cannot be faulted for not knowing the right questions to ask.

• Ding
    Ding

There's the sense that you are special, that of all the people in the world you are one of a tiny minority of human beings who are pleasing God and are going to survive the imminent destruction at Armageddon.

You believe your life is meaningful because you are a part of God's worldwide life-saving preaching work.

There's also the security of being a part of a worldwide brotherhood where everyone thinks alike.

In order to break free, a JW needs to see that all of that is nothing but a house of cards.

Many simply can't handle that, which is why they bury their head in the sand and believe the illusion.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" There's the sense that you are special, that of all the people in the world you are one of a tiny minority of human beings who are pleasing God and are going to survive the imminent destruction at Armageddon."

My mother has said that to me in so many words. She loves being a jw.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Some folks like living in La-la-land.

See this thread:

What's the difference between a JW and ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit