What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Going For Them?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

To answer the question- Absolutely nothing! However the reason I stay is because I do not want to lose my entire (immediate, extended, wife, kids and her immediate and extended) family. Leaving would cause extreme stress in my marriage and with my kids and would likely end in divorce because of the added stress. So I am choosing to take the stress of knowing its all bullshit on my shoulders instead of destroying my family.

I know many of you do not agree and wonder how I can tolerate it, well I am still an elder and I just stay calm, cool. I dont volunteer for anything but neither do I turn down assignments. I dont sit on those dreadful judicial committee's anymore. I say very, very little during elders meetings. I am nice and kind to everyone and do not attract attention to myself in any way, shape or form.

10+ years ago I was an elder cylon...robotic, mother asks me to jump I ask how high type of person. Assembly parts, Secretary and eventually PO (now COBE), special committees, called by CO's to discuss issues, etc, etc. It has taken me a decade to fade away from all of that.

Sometimes it gets to me and I get really down, and sometimes watching all the politicking and ass kissing going on constantly makes me want to vomit but I think of my family.... this is the main hold they have on people. If my wife ever comes up to me and expresses doubts I will leave skid marks in the kingdom hall carpet.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

It is presented in a reasonable and logical way that to a vulnerable person, does not scream "manipulative", but it IS manipulative and sucks them in based on their vulnerabilities (which a good study FS participant or study conductor will latch onto and highlight).

They frost a turd.

• Terry
    Terry

Comparison shopping leads to this conclusion:

Earth feels like a natural place to want to live while heaven doesn't feel like anything but a Care Bears fluffy cartoon.

JW's offer a better "deal". Paradise Earth vs Heaven

No Hell is a pretty good offer.

No Trinity to have to explain.

Ninja Bible flipping skills to acquire!

You can get by when going to meetings with cheap out of fashion clothes.

All those annoying church people can be put down with Ministry School parroted remarks.

Tithing can be faked!

Your leaders, when you're a JW, have a Hotline to Jehovah!

Your doctrine can be wrong and you never have to admit it--it just grows brighter (like Chernyobel after the meltdown).

Really low I.Q. types can rise to the top and micro-manage people without having to acquire people skills!

Those are just a few of the benefits and features that come to mind, Minimus.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

JWs have structure, hope, a detailed plan, answers to the whys and hows, clear definitions of morally gray areas and above all a social group of relatively like minded people generally striving to be better people. Although we do focus upon the destructive and illogical endpoints I think we there are some good benefits to the group. While I'll never get back my years wasted in mormonism I still loved a great deal of the experiences and I definitely miss the sense of purpose, unity and surety. For some people in really destrcutive cycles (depression, addiction or lonliness for example) joining a religious organisation can be a life saver and be a net positive gain. imo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit