JWs wouldn't preach despite multiple opportunities...

by EntirelyPossible 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Maybe donning a suit and a badge is not such a bad idea?

"Gidday Brutha. Howzit goin mate? Whaddaya think of the way they're slaggin off brother Kendrick for bonkin a nine year old?" "Satan's wicked System of Things is gettn outa hand when it start slaggin us off for that eh, mate?" Jehovah better hurry up and start killlin Christians soon, they're attackin us now Brutha!" "Should be a good talk this afternoon, sumpin about magic toys I hear!"

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Embarrassingly, when I was at the Convention last year, several people I was with went out of their way on different occasions and in varying circumstances went out of their way to preach.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I always tried to get out of preaching when I found that it was a waste of time. Rather than trying, I would simply pretend to be a regular person (of course, the fxxxing angels prevented me from getting in with the opposite sex--I only wish they would have been bound by Satan at that time, for that offense, to frighten the other angels from ganging up on me and doing the same thing). Even when I was out in field circus, I frequently dogged my calls and always dogged trying to ask for donations.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Let's call this duck a duck. They are "obeying" a rule to keep the badge and monkey suit on. They are either embarassed to be JW's preaching in the restaurant or they are just wanting to forget all their JW stuff and enjoy the evening.

But keep in mind this: The Sign Language JW's think they have some even more special higher calling that lets them get out of bothering with the likes of you. They are only asked to "preach" to the deaf. You are not deaf, so someone else will "preach" to you. This special feature of foreign language assignments (ASL included) makes them attractive to otherwise bored-of-the-JW-lifestyle members.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

sounds like EP you had been rumbled by them even before you knew it.

I am not sure what rumbled means in this context. If it means they were on to me, I doubt it. I didn't know anyone there until the last few minutes (was there almost 2 hours), I just moved to this town, never been to a meeting here and don't know any JW's here, was a last minute decision to go to this particular restaurant, in fact, I had to sit at the bar because the JW's had made reservations all night and they were book. Everyone was being really friendly, they just wouldn't talk about JW stuff.

They are only asked to "preach" to the deaf. You are not deaf, so someone else will "preach" to you.

True. I only know two people that do the ASL stuff, my former best friend and his wife.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Oh, forgot to add, we met a very nice couple at the bar that also weren't JW's and didn't have a reservation, they asked the JWs what the nametags were for and got the same response. About 1/2 the people were from ASL, other's were regular english speaking folks going to the regular english speaking convention.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I doubt there were two conventions going on at the same time. Most (could be 85% or higher) of the ASL attendees are regular English speaking (hearing) that join the special field.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

One was at a rented coliseum a few towns over, about 30 minutes away, the english district convention. The ASL convention was being held at the assembly hall the same weekend. They weren't in the same building at the same time :)

My ex and kids are the english one. All of the ASL people are in the town I live in at the assembly hall. Most of them are from another state away.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

No surprise here. Any JW alleged "preaching" is overrated. There is a popular mega church near here, North Coast Church. In over 30 years of existence, the church has never had a JW preach a sermon from any campus in its control. The church has open invites to community pastors, but there has never been a single JW to step up and preach. I suppose they are too busy knocking on doors of unoccupied homes to be preaching the gospel to interested people.

Watchtower Jehovah's Witnesses preaching is mostly a failure

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

But keep in mind this: The Sign Language JW's think they have some even more special higher calling that lets them get out of bothering with the likes of you. They are only asked to "preach" to the deaf. You are not deaf, so someone else will "preach" to you. This special feature of foreign language assignments (ASL included) makes them attractive to otherwise bored-of-the-JW-lifestyle members.

Sooo true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit