JWs wouldn't preach despite multiple opportunities...

by EntirelyPossible 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I was on a date tonight, eating in a Cuban restaurant owned by JWs (they have never met me, incidentally, the food was REALLY good) when I realized that there was not just one, but two conventions in town. One was the standard english speaking district convention folks, the other was the ASL folks using the assembly hall in town for their district convention.

My date, who knows all about my JW past, tries to strike up a conversation with some of them sitting at the bar, asks them what they are in town for, etc. They just said "for a convention". She asks what kind, they said "for sign language" and left it at that.

We asked the owners, who we KNOW are JWs (but we don't personally know) if there is a convention in town because everyone is wearing nametags. They just said that they heard one was in town.

We try to ask the groups at a table near us what the nametags are for. They said they were in town for a group meeting and just so everyone could recognize each other.

Three times JWs were given an open invitation to preach and wouldn't do it.

I told my date I wouldn't be surprised to see the guy that was the best man at my wedding show up since he was an elder in an ASL congregation. Sure enough, he did. I said hello to him on my way out. He muttered hello back and sorted slowly backed away. Right before we left, my date said two guys walked in the door, saw me, pointed, talked amongst each other, look at me a few times and then left.

It amazed me, it's almost like all those wonderful examples of the nametags creating oppotunities to preach and make converts were .... inflated just a tad.

I will say, their chimichurri sauce was quite good.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I know a few JW's who would use the opportunity to preach. I did go into a bit of detail some times when waiters/waitresses would ask about the badge.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I never wore a nametag outside of the convention, more often than not didn't wear one inside either.

I would always hide the fact I was a JW, I thought most of us did, it seems they do now !

I was quite surprised when a friend I was with told a shopkeeper why we were in town, he wasn't wearing badge, and could have truthfully said we were there for a holiday, as we had booked to stay a few more days as it was a nice seaside location. I didn't realise some Bros actually did that sort of thing ! It added to my sense of being a crap JW,

a badge I am now proud I wore ! "Phizzy, Crap JW"

I am glad to hear of your report, it means that the preaching work only goes on in a token way with most, which all speeds up the withering away of the WT, good.

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

This reminds me when I was flying from Melbourne to Sydney for the international convention in 2003 (Give God Glory).

I was on the same flight with a lot of other JWs, I mean a lot of JWs about 1/3 of the plane. They were all wearing their 'Give God Glory' nametags (nerds).

I wouldn't be seen dead wearing that on the plane so I was 'tagless'.

I sat down next to a 'worldly' woman and she said to me jokingly: "I feel safe because God won't let anything happen to this flight as there are all these 'God' people on the plane...hahaha"

I just replied: "Yeah, we must be pretty safe" and never spoke about them or the international dorky cult convention we were all flying to.

So EntirelyPossible just like your title says: JWs wouldn't preach despite multiple opportunities... I was a JW that would NOT preach if I was not going D2D. Good to hear from your post that others avoid preaching even while wearing their nametags!

a badge I am now proud I wore ! "Phizzy, Crap JW"

Me too Phizzy! [3Mozzies, A Crap JW] I feel so proud now

3M

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

They don't make JWs like they used to, lol.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    They don't make JWs like they used to, lol.

LOL

That's just what I was going to say.

I was always embarrassed for anyone to know that I had something to do with the crazies, but my peers and family wore their badges like flags of alliegiance. They still do.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

sounds like EP you had been rumbled by them even before you knew it.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

I dont know about you guys, but I wouldn't go out of my way to preach after all the attention about the Candace conti court case. I would avoid even wearing the come look at me I'm a pedeophile supporter badge.

Most of them may be perv's for all we know.

Kojack

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Also didn't wear my the badge outside of the convention. Was a pioneer for years and did not preach or informal witness outside of the time I dedicated to the ministry.

Anyone remember when there was afternoon field service after the Friday session at the convention? We went once...took it off then too!

• poppers
    poppers

I dont know about you guys, but I wouldn't go out of my way to preach after all the attention about the Candace conti court case. I would avoid even wearing the come look at me I'm a pedeophile supporter badge.

That was my first thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit