Watches: mens mechanical facination

by elderelite 62 Replies latest social entertainment

• elderelite
    elderelite

I am not a fan of the new movadoes.... The mesuem face has been down to death and they arnt what they used fo be... Agree on the t touch also. A giy i work with had one. Junk. Broke three times in a year.

• avishai
    avishai

What's the best way to clean an old mechanical watch? I have an old Lucerne diving watch that I'm trying to get working...

• elderelite
    elderelite

Hmmmmmm.... First, a pic would be appreciated.... On the actual cleaning maybe our resident watch repair man will chime in ;-) Btw im actually a diver so i have a facination with said watches

• avishai
    avishai

It's a looker. Well, it could be. I'll also put up pic of the bulova marine star that I'm having a new movement put in when I get it back. Also, elderlite, if you need parts let me know as I picked up quite a stock of those as well, bands, band pins, winders etc. that I'm still going through and seperating out in a tackle box.

• avishai
    avishai

Dangit, elderlite, I keep reading your posts in Laurence Fishburnes voice...

• elderelite
    elderelite

damn avish, you are going to be my crack dealer

continue to read in that voice. Its appropriate.

welcome... to the real world!

• talesin
    talesin

Quendi, you are going to be jealous!

I have a solid pink gold (10k) watch that my grandmere gave me... it's from the 20s. If you want a real nice gold pocket watch, check in pawn shops and such for a Waltham made watch. There are lots of them floating around, and you should be able to get one "mint" $300-500, depending on the style. Have the back opened up, and every watchmaker that ever repaired it will have his initials and date engraved on the inside - beware of plated watches and ALWAYS make them take the back off.

I like Pateks, too. We had a set at the shop once, a pair of his/hers, that my cuz picked up at the PB convention in Vegas, nice stuff!

The old Chronograph watches can be worth quite a bit. Also, the old ladies' watches from the 50s, Elgins, Bulovas, etc. trimmed w/ real diamonds. Some of the white ones are 14k gold, as well.

Someone just gave me a bag with an old Movado (crystal broken, not working, but I'm gonna see if the watch shop will buy it for the works).

Avi, what do you think of an old Keyes Incabloc? 17 jewels, swiss movement? That was in the bag, too, along with a couple of Cardinals (older style, but nothing special).

I also have a Seiko, circa 1979, that my ex bought me. It's in the safe.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

I don't know, Avi, but chronographs are tricky - some should not be opened, except by a watchmaker. You know what you're doing, though.

;)

• avishai
    avishai

Here's the lucerne, took the pic w/ my phone, so it kinda sucks, but I'd really like to see it run again.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Oh dayum thats nice!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit