The Watchtower Punished: Society loses legal battle over child abuse case

by cedars 65 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cedars
    cedars

I've just had the following hilarious Awake parody image emailed to me!

Awake parody

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

I've updated my article with the following info:

The Society's Belated Response

News of the Candace Conti verdict first broke online on 14th June 2012, with the first newspapers and media websites covering the story within the first 24 hours. Despite the dramatic ramifications of the verdict, the swiftness with which the story spread, and the reproach that has been brought on Jehovah's name by this case, the story was initially met with silence on the Society's official websites.

Finally, six days later on 20th June the Society released the following brief statement:

Jehovah’s Witnesses to appeal jury verdict in California case

NEW YORK—Jehovah’s Witnesses will appeal the decision of a California jury in a court case involving alleged acts of child abuse.

The jury rendered a multimillion-dollar damage award to a woman who claimed that she was molested as a child by a member of a local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. At trial, the plaintiff claimed that the policies of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society contributed to the alleged abuse. “We respectfully disagree with the jury’s decision. This is the first time that an organization was found responsible for the alleged misdeeds of a member who held no position of leadership or authority,” states James McCabe, an attorney representing Watchtower in the case. “We are very sorry for whatever harm this young lady may have suffered. However, the organization is not responsible. We now look to the Court of Appeals for a thorough review of this case.”

J. R. Brown, a spokesman at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses, commented: “The fact that Jehovah’s Witnesses abhor child abuse and strive to protect children from such acts is well-known. The individual members of any organization must ultimately bear the responsibility for their own actions, particularly when the acts are so flagrantly against the morals and principles of the organization and society.”

A number of things are noteworthy regarding the above statement...

1. The Society refuses to acknowledge that Candace definitely suffered the abuse, only that it was "claimed" to have happened.
    2. The statement is made: "This is the first time that an organization was found responsible for the alleged misdeeds of a member who held no position of leadership or authority". In saying this, the Society ignores the estimated thousands of similar cases that never made it before a jury because the plaintiff was silenced through a settlement and/or gag order. Candace's case was unique precisely because she refused to accept such a settlement.
    3. It is entirely irrelevant that the perpetrator "held no position of leadership or authority". In making this statement, the Society betrays shocking ignorance concerning the details of the case. Irrespective of what position Kendrick did or did not hold when he abused Candace, he was allowed to abuse her because her parents were not warned by the elders that Kendrick had abused other children within the congregation even though they knew of this, and had even stripped him of his position as a ministerial servant for this precise reason. In failing to warn Candace's parents, the elders were acting under instructions from the Society, which is why a jury has found the Watch Tower legally responsible.

The statements made by J.R. Brown are equally evasive and misleading.

“The fact that Jehovah’s Witnesses abhor child abuse and strive to protect children from such acts is well-known."

No, it is not "well-known"! However damning Watchtower publications may be about child abuse itself, over many years now the Society has developed a reputation for failing to protect children from pedophiles due to an obsession with implementing the "two witness rule" in all cases. In this sense, they do not "strive to protect children from such acts" if the acts are denied and have not been confirmed by someone other than the victim.

"The individual members of any organization must ultimately bear the responsibility for their own actions, particularly when the acts are so flagrantly against the morals and principles of the organization and society.”

In other words, the Society does not want to accept responsibility for the consequences of the terrible guidance and direction it gives to elders, and the Governing Body refuses to dignify itself with an apology to Candace despite being aware of all the details. The organization feels that the perpetrator alone should be held responsible for the abuse, even though (in this case) the elders knew of Kendrick's tendencies and failed to take reasonable steps to warn parents in the congregation. Again, the statement shows shocking disregard for the details of the case, and how the events unfolded. It would appear the Society is in denial over both the verdict and their own culpability.

A 2009 video featuring J.R. Brown can be viewed by clicking here. You are invited to watch it before considering the rest of this article, if you have the time and inclination.

Cedars

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

watched the video

actions speak louder than words guys

Oz

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Cedars, is there a way to send your article to another site. Others on other sites such as w Meet-up groups want more infor which is covered by your excellent article. I want to post it on a particular site.

Thanks.

• cedars
    cedars

panhandlegirl - sure, just copy and paste the link!!

http://jwsurvey.org/general-information/the-watchtower-punished-society-loses-legal-battle-over-child-abuse-case

I'm glad you like the article.

Cedars

• What Now?
    What Now?

(marking)

• cedars
    cedars

The subject is now being discussed on Topix. Here is the link:

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/jehovahs-witness/TSV14201UN3JKJ1DR

An apologist has already taken a swipe at the following piece of reasoning from my article:

However damning Watchtower publications may be about child abuse itself, over many years now the Society has developed a reputation for failing to protect children from pedophiles due to an obsession with implementing the “two witness rule” in all cases.

His response?

Incredible! People really hate God's word the bible .

Jesus said:(Matthew 18:15, 16) 15 “Moreover, if your brother commits a sin, go lay bare his fault between you and him alone . If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take along with you one or two more, in order that at the mouth of two or three witnesses every matter may be establish. . .

Opposers: Every matter, even child abuse.

Jesus: What did I say? Did I not say every matter?

Opposers: I can't follow you Jesus, your words protect pedophile's.

Cedars

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Cedars, what a jackass this apologist. Then, to top it off, another poster tries to ease off in saying that an individual is free to report such a thing to the authorities, but upholds that is still not enough to take action in the congregation.

What a load of bullocks. Thank you for your hard work and time dedicated to bring this matter to other's attention.

• cedars
    cedars

An interesting French website linking through to my article - looks like Wikipedia, but it isn't!

http://www.tj-encyclopedie.org/Affaire_Candace_Conti

My French may be terrible, but this article looks very well-researched.

Cedars

• compound complex
    compound complex

Conti expliqua les deux raisons motivant sa plainte: protéger les enfants à l'avenir et encourager les victimes d'abus sexuels ayant été affectées par la politique du secret prônée par le mouvement à se manifester et à faire entendre leur voix. [5] Elle expliqua: "J'ai voulu être la meilleure Témoin de Jéhovah que je pouvais être. Maintenant, je sens que je fais davantage de bien pour aider les autres enfants de Témoins de Jéhovah que je ne l'ai jamais fait en allant de porte en porte pour répandre la 'bonne nouvelle'". [6]

Conti explained the two reasons that prompted her complaint: to protect children in the future and to encourage sexual abuse victims affected by the secret policy recommended by the movement to reveal themselves and let their voice be heard. She explained: "I wanted to be the best Jehovah's Witness I could possibly be. I feel that I can now do more to help children of Jehovah's Witnesses than I ever could by going from door-to-door spreading the "good news."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit