How did you long-timers do it before the internet / Ray Franz books / abundant information?

by irondork 58 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

irondork:

They just stayed in the religion. If they left or got kicked out, nobody ever heard their story.

The religion likes the good old days when nobody had the internet and before disgruntled members started writing books to tell the world about their experience. This is why the religion hates the internet with a passion and they try to demonize it. Sadly, their tactics work with a few gullible people there. I would not be surprised if one of the reasons the religion promotes poverty is because people too poor to afford an internet connection are less likely to hear about the religion's scandals and hidden history.

If I had the internet back in the day when I was "studying", I would NEVER have joined the religion.

Mouthy:

I am sorry for what you had to endure back in the day when there were few people speaking out against the religion. You are certainly not an 'evil slave' as far as I am concerned!

Them and their name calling is one of the things that always turned me off about the religion.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

"Common-sense is the WTBTS worst enemy, not the internet. ;)"

EXACTLY !! I find it absolutely amazing that the millions of folks who actually believe in this BS have apparently lost all of their own common sense.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Chariklo asked: What is this story, please?

2 Samuel 6:1-10

• mouthy
    mouthy

Thanks Longhair

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I would not have looked at the internet sites until I was at least mentally "out".

I had always been a steady Witness, elder and all. In the late nineties we had problems in the B of E, I saw them as jerks but figured that the concept was more important than the men locally. We were approaching the millennium and I was interested in the calendar and started to read up on how we got to be at that date. I then realised that the whole chronology thing (607 - 1914) was total B/S . I had also been shaken somewhat by the change to the "generation" of Matt 24:34, just a few years earlier .

Then something happened to make me see that in no way would God slaughter all the non believers at Armageddon, there were decent family minded people out there ...Mulling all that over it just hit me one day that "It is just not true ! Just not true! none of it. It is just a religion of men, like all the others.....From then on I have never doubted that conclusion, not for a moment.

The WTS was warning against the net, saying how all this leaked information was on it, so I thought that I had to go see. I went to the library and got them to show me how to use the public terminals. I knew nothing. But I found Freeminds and this site , and the rest is history , as they say....

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In some ways the Internet has dampened the effect of apostates leaving the Witnesses as I argued in a previous thread.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/100638/1/How-the-Internet-Means-The-End-for-Apostates-and-Opposers-of-the-Society

• bigmac
    bigmac

"Common-sense is the WTBTS worst enemy, not the internet. ;)"

exactly---mmwwooah--(kisses monkey)

got me mentally free of it 40+years ago.

blood transfusions

armageddon

new world

resurrection

the whole damn lot is pure, neat, undiluted BULLSHIT

• irondork
    irondork

Wow! Lot's of great stories.

I think I would have made it out the door, but without the resources available now I don't think I would have the peace of mind I enjoy today.

• irondork
    irondork

Mouthy, do you have a recording of the Sally Jessie Rhapheal show you were on?

• cedars
    cedars

slimboyfat - I've just read that thread you posted - utter twaddle in my opinion. If you still wish to argue that the internet is bad for apostasy and good for the Society, then I'm afraid you're on your own with that one. I couldn't agree less with any of the arguments you presented. The Watch Tower Society simply wasn't built for the information age, and any medium such as the internet that bypasses their control and makes truthful information available to the masses is good for us, bad for them. Sorry if that truth doesn't sit well with you for whatever reason...

Cedars

[edit post: I've just scrolled down and read some of the poster comments on the thread in question - overall not exactly a glowing endorsement of SBF's logic.]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit