Planning an Escape: Truth Triumphs Over Lies!

by 00DAD 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Often during WT/Book Studies and/or Public Talks I would be following along and note little discrepancies and inconsistencies. Perhaps it was a scripture that didn't really support the point being asserted in the paragraph or maybe it was an illustration that sounded good but wasn't completely parallel or maybe it was a line of reasoning that wasn't as conclusive or solid as the Speaker/Elder/CO/WT Publication made it out to be.

Or maybe it was the excessive use of weasel words like, "evidently," "perhaps," "must have" and so on. Or maybe it was the fact that rarely were the sources of "authorities" quoted in the publications properly sourced. It wasn't like I was trying to doubt the veracity of what I was being taught. Indeed, I wanted to believe, but after a while all these little things--things which in and of themselves were seemingly rather small--they started piling up until I could no longer ignore them.

They were like little breadcrumbs that left a trail. I had to follow that trail and see where it lead. At first is was random breadcrumb here, a scattered few crumbs there, but after decades the pile became so large that it was literally impossible for me to ignore it. There was a huge mountain of unanswered questions and nagging doubts. And the surprising thing was that the WTBTS had put them there in front of me:

• Why doesn't the WTBTS cite sources as is standard academic practice? Why don't they want us to be able to "make sure of all things"? (1 Thessalonians 5:21)
    • Why are there so many assertions made that cannot be clearly supported by scripture?
    • Why are there so many things that R&F JWs HAVE TO BELIEVE that are based on speculation and supposition rather than firmly established facts?
    • Why are there so many core JW doctrines that are the result of sloppy reasoning and slipshod "logic" without any Real Evidence, but based on a series of conjectural "evidentlys", "perhapses", and "therefores"?
    • Why is it that if anyone even questions any of these things they are subject to expulsion from the congregation?
    • Why is the Governing Body on such a now-obvious-to-me-and-anyone-else-even-paying-the-slightest-bit-of-attention power trip when the congregation is supposed to be a haven and a place of refuge based on love?

Of course these questions only lived in my mind in my private thoughts because to voice them is anathema and would have subjected me to disfellowshipping as an apostate. This fear held me back for a while, but the power of these growing doubts was eventually stronger than that fear. It was I now know the power of truth, the Real Truth. (John 8:32)

I tried several times to discuss these with my then wife, a born-in JW. She wouldn't even entertain any of these thoughts as she knew where the trail of breadcrumbs led: Disfellowshipping and Shunning, a total cutting off. To her that was (understandably) completely unacceptable. But to me believing things that are not true or provable was completely unacceptable, especially by a religion that make such pompous claims as to not only having the truth, but to in fact being The Truth and the sole source of it on earth. Now I knew that the people I had once trusted were in fact hypocrites, liars and frauds.

I started doing some research, initially to dispel my doubts (or so I hoped), but all my research did was to confirm that my doubts and concerns were well founded. I should trust my own mind and my own reasoning, because the WTBTS had it all wrong. They were holding out false hopes and empty promises. They not only were clearly NOT the sole source of Truth on earth, they didn't even know what it was. Then, about 2003 I discovered something that made it all really start to unravel quickly: the WTBTS had joined the UN as an NGO. How could that be? I was shocked, dumbfounded, confused beyond belief. The Organization that for many years had loudly proclaimed the United Nations as the Scarlet Colored Beast of Revelation and denounced any and all religions that even acknowledged the UN as being legitimate as the Whore of Babylon, this same organization the WTBTS was secretly going in the back door to the UN and was an Official Card Carrying Member of the UN as a Non-Governmental Organization. The scales fell from my eyes.

Their lame explanation of "needing a library card" was just the final straw. My goodness, if you or I went to the YMCA to use their swimming pool we'd be labelled an apostate and disfellowshipped in a heartbeat. Their hypocrisy was unbelievable. I had followed them and they'd led me astray. I had trusted them and they betrayed me. I had to get out, but I was trapped! For nearly 20 years I had been captive to a concept, in bondage to beliefs. I thought they were true but now I knew they were false. My mind was becoming free, but my life was still imprisoned. Or more precisely I was being held hostage by my family ties and the threat of disfellowshipping and shunning.

For 5 or 6 years I struggled in trying to find a means of escape and freedom. In retrospect I now understand that I didn't always clearly know exactly how and why I felt so trapped. It wasn't until relatively recently that I understood the full impact and power of the control which the WT/JS religion holds on people, how extensive, pervasive and insidious it really is. And how evil it is.

I eventually made an exit and now I am free. But my exit was messy. I made mistakes, I did things wrong, there were casualties. I'm not going to try and paint a pretty picture. It was ugly. But then jailbreaks usually are. The truth is I was disfellowshipped for wanting my freedom. I wanted it on my terms and was willing to do what needed to be done to get it. But it doesn't matter how I got out. What matters is that I got out. The fact is there IS no honorable way to leave the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses. This is by design. It's a rigged game. You're screwed from the beginning. It's an invalid, fraudulent contract from the start, but there are no legal remedies. The WTBTS holds all the cards.

I would count that as nothing were it not for the devastating affect that enforced, institutionalized shunning has on families and relationships.

You're free to go, but once you leave you'll be shunned by anyone and everyone that is still in no matter how supposedly close the relationship or how strong the bond. The bondage of the WTBTS and the power of their cultish, manipulative mind-control is stronger. Forget all that nonsense about "Love of the Brothers" being an identifying mark of True Christianity. That was just propaganda. It wasn't real. It was only a slogan. What really holds "the Brotherhood" together is fear, fear and obedience.

They have your loved ones hostage. Leave if you want, but you go alone.

Isolation is a prison of its own and the WT Society knows it. It's their trump card, their final play.

I have not spoken to one of my own children for three years. Every day I think of him. Every day I miss him. Every day I try to find ways to reach him, but how do you reach someone that won't even talk to you? I struggle for answers still. I look here, I look everywhere. I refuse to give up, to surrender. Truth triumphed in my heart and I trust, I just have to trust, that it will triumph in his heart too, in time ...

And so every day I try to find ways to reach my son. I love him and miss him so much. I wonder if he even knows. I try to find ways to help him open up his own mind and heart, to help him have the courage to live his own life and make his own decisions, to have the integrity of mind to believe what is true and to not believe that which isn't.

Every day I think of ways to plan his escape!

00DAD

• Quendi
    Quendi

What a story and statement, 00DAD, and you have my utmost respect and deep affection for sharing it with us. It must have been difficult composing and then posting it but I am grateful that you did so. I have benefited from your experience and counsel in the past and this story is one more example of your outstanding character.

I am sorry for the pain and loss you still feel with respect to the loss of family members. I was fortunate in that I did not have immediate family members in the organization so my exit did not cost me in that way. But that doesn't mean it was easy because, as you and many others have stated, there is no honorable way out of this lying, hypocritical cult. But at least you can rejoice in the freedom you now enjoy even as you think of ways you can liberate those whom you love. I wish you all the very best in your endeavors that way.

Keep sharing with us. I'm not the only one who is glad to have met you in this forum and I'm sure there will be others who will benefit from knowing you. I keep hoping that we are indeed in the last days--the last days of the WTBTS, that is. You are absolutely right to describe it as evil because that is the only word which accurately describes its true nature. But as Tolkien once wrote, "Evil will shall evil mar." The Bible puts it another way, "As you sow, so shall you reap." I believe this organization will see that at last. I don't say this vindictively, but in the confidence that this moral law is as immutable as the law of gravity is. Maybe we both will live to see the WTBTS collapse and then be in the position to lend aid and healing to our loved ones who emerge from its ruin. For I still love many of those I left behind and the rift that has opened in our relationships is a very painful one. Until then, let us rejoice in our liberty because we have earned it.

Quendi

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

What a price to pay for the TTATT! I can sympathize 00Dad. Our stories are very similar, except for the "children" part. Thankfully I had no children. So I can sympathize to some extent. I always used to say (as a joke): If ever they took away my children, there would have been a murder. However, I remain an eternal optimist. I believe the real truth will be victorious in the end. As we know, all that is needed is that trigger, e.g., their involvment with the UN. That was all that was needed to put me in a different trajectory. So never lose hope.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

00DAD - I have been thinking about eventually using the "nuclear option" with my wife and showing her the information about the UN. She's the type who would be appalled at this kind of crap, and it would definitely weaken her view of the society (which is already rather lukewarm). Do you have any suggestions on how to "frame" this issue? I know there's also rebuttal information out there on the Internet. I really think this issue would touch her, she would definitely see the hypocrisy and any excuses would not be sufficient.

Right now I'm awaiting the release of the Sparlock DVD which I'll make sure we grab and watch tonight.

Great post.

• Magi
    Magi

Thanks for the story and encouragement, 00dad. Hopefully, some day your son will leave and he'll be happy to have you there for him despite all of the heartache and hurt that has been done to you. I am in the same boat on the other end. I still have many family members in the religion including my parents and sister. And I still think about them everyday and how to help them with their escape too. They rarely talk to me, the only time is to update me on their new address or if a relative is really sick. I know they still love me, but they love their "immortality" even more and are too afraid deep down to leave or even question anything. Just remember, we're all family here, adopted brothers and sisters, parents and children. We may have lost some to the religion, but we gained alot more. We understand and are there for each other, because we know the true meaning of love.

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

00DAD, you're telling my story! The only difference is I'm much younger, not married, and still in. I still have quite a bit of time before I can make any moves, because I'm not even in my own home yet. My mom has always been telling me that no matter the religion - if it's teaching at least one thing that's not in the Bible or doing things that the Bible condemns, you have to get out of it. However, if I were to tell her the things I've discovered, I would be the one getting out - and not because I wanted to, even though I do.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Wonderful telling of a tragic tale. Thanks for being brave enough to finally make the break. It sounds as if you did so with an intelligence that many of us don't have. You also have the gift to write clearly with well-organized thoughts.

Sure, you acknowledge making errors along the way. Yes, we're all human, aren't we?

Again -- I'm impressed. Again -- thanks.

Len Miller

• nugget
    nugget

It is the cruelest part of leaving the religion that we have to risk all. Sometimes we are lucky but with every success there are numerous accounts of heartbreak. It is rare to save everyone.

The society knows that it holds a powerful card and uses relatives as leverage. It fully understands what it means when they drive a wedge into families and they also know that there is no good biblical reason for shunning. Their policy is a stench and a blight on their faith. The fact that the governing body supports and promotes it shows how ungodly they are.

Those in thrall to this poison are hard to reach but nothing is impossible. I send family members cards on anniversaries, I ask after them with people I know are in contact. In little ways I make plain that I have not rejected them. Gestures are small because anything elaborate is likely to offend. I take heart that it took me 40 years to wake up and for some it has taken longer. Nothing is hopeless it is making it plain they are always welcome here. At least I know that as each day passes and the societies explanations for the delay in Armageddon become increasingly bizarre the flock may well shake themselves from slumber.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Thank you for telling your story.

Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to tell mine.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Sorry double post

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit