How about 10 favourite albums (er, cd's)

by amicus 47 Replies latest social entertainment

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Everyone,
    I never cease to be amazed by the great variety to found here.
    Reading through all the faves just got me all excited. So much music so little time.
    I love all those Johnny Cash things. And have listened to just about everything listed here. Love it all!!
    Great taste in music.
    TW

• amicus
    amicus

Pouring rain, gusting winds...Perfect day for JW.com!
    DB,
    My brother really got a kick out of the Peruvian pipers (in the streets of SF) when he came out here for a visit last June. He told me that they reminded him of the Tuvan throat singers-and then proceeded to tell me about throat singing. I dutifully listened (although I hear them about once a week on my little local independent radio station), and then steered the conversation onto the topic of Buddism (which is where he was heading anyways-yea, I know, I'm such a good brother!).
    Have you heard Willie's (Nelson) lastest cd? Milk Cow Blues? His cover of "Black Night" is one of the best I've heard. "Nobody cares about me/Ain't even got a friend/Baby's gone and left me/When will my troubles end/Black night is fallin'/Oh how I hate to be alone/I keep cryin' for my baby/But now another day is gone". Who says cowboys can't sing the blues?
    When I got home from my extended stint in Jamaica I had to buy Steely Dan's "Gaucho". For the first time in my life I could relate to "hey nineteen"--and that's all I'm going to say about that (here, anyways ;-)).
    I kinda strayed from J.T. after "Sweet Baby James". A few years ago one of my gfriends asked me to go with her to see him in concert, I reluctantly agreed and was treated to one of the better concerts I've ever seen/heard. I had no idea James was such a superb entertainer.
    UB,
    Back in the days of vinyl I did my best to wear out "The songs of Leonard Cohen". We'd get home after a long day at the beach-sunburned, salt encrusted, exhausted, sand-in-hair, and lounge around listening to Leonard (and "Spirit"-a local band)-nothing else really seemed to fit our mood. I haven't heard him in years...but I still know the songs...Suzanne, Sisters of Mercy, Hey, that's no way to say goodbye...
    Who can listen to Elvis Costello and not want to hear him again...and again...and again...? Pump It Up (whadid he jus' say? turn it up?...ok, sure), Temptation, This Town (P. McCartney on bass, Roger McGuinn on 12 string, and Jim Keltner on skins...whaaaat?), Let Him Dangle, Watching the Detectives, Man Called Uncle (HEY!?), Riot Act, Possession, God's Comic ("I've been wading through all this unbelievable junk and wondering if I should have given the world to the monkeys"), Oliver's Army--aw nevermind this list is gettin' waaay too long (and I've only just begun...). I always took Elvis C. for one of those "expect the unexpected kind-of-guys"...but "Painted from Memory" with Burt Bacharach? Hmmmmmmm, it took me a while to get my ears around that cd...but it's really starting to grow on me now.
    Cris Issak? Well, we cal-lee-4-yunz love da local boys. I don't listen to him as much now as I used to, but I find myself draggin' out the "Criss Issak" cd to listen to his cover of the Yardbirds classic "Heart Full of Soul" fairly often. Graduation Day from "Forever Blue" somehow reminds me of Springsteen's "Nebraska" cd. Uh oh, did I say Springsteen? "In Candy's room, there are pictures of her heroes on the wall, but to get to get to Candy's room, you gotta walk the darkness of Candy's hall,.....She says, Baby if you wanna be wild, you got a lot to learn, close your eyes, Let them melt, let them fire, let them burn..."
    Prisca,
    Here I am trying to focus on songs that emphasize personal growth and exploration and you hit me with romantic lyrics! Gulp!!! Achilles taught me the importance of wearing sturdy boots...but somehow my heel is still constantly being bruised.
    Well, I'm going to take the moral high ground here (just to prove that I can do it, you know) and counter with something by N. Finn from his solo cd (released whilst his bro' was toying with "Crowded House").
    BIRDS SWIM
    FISH FLY
    I turn one way and the wind blows me over
    I turn another way and it’s holding me up
    Luck has nothing to do with it
    Things change when you learn to loosen your grip
    I think one way and the future is desperate
    I think another way everything is in sight
    Trees bend so branches don’t have to break
    We mend the wounds of our last mistake
    Birds swim fish do fly
    Proud man begins to cry
    Birds swim fish do fly
    Things change so why can’t I
    I live one way holding on to the fence post
    I live another way sliding off into space
    Each life is loosely assembled
    Inside the molecules tremble
    Birds swim fish do fly
    Proud man begins to cry
    Birds swim fish do fly
    Little by little we die
    Washed up on the beach of betrayal
    How did the Mesonyx become a whale
    Birds swim fish do fly
    Proud man begins to cry
    Birds swim fish do fly
    Things change
    Fish fly
    Why can’t I
    TW,
    Hi! I'm dying to hear the music listed here that is new to me. :-) And I agree...so much music, so little time. I really think we should live forever. :-(
    My new Cash song-to-sing: "I keep a close watch on this heart of mine, I keep my eyes wide open all the time...."
    But my current favorite cd is the soundtrack from "O, brother where art thou". Great movie too!

Wellllll, this has gotten way too long...time to shuddap...

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day amicus,

Just dropping in to say I think Leonard Coherns recent albums are much better than his old stuff. If you get a chance to check out "I'm your man" and "The Future" (both released about 1990) you won't be disappointed.

cheers, unclebruce

• TR
    TR

Late into the game, but here's my picks:

Jeff Beck- Who Else!

Primus- Brown Album

Black Sabbath- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Joe Satriani- Crystal Planet

Rorschach Test- Peace Minus One

311- Transistor

Pearl Jam- VS.

Ministry- Dark side of the Spoon

Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon

Rush- Fly By Night

TR

• idaho
    idaho

I got a wide interest, but my music has definitely mellowed as
    I grew past 30 and now i'm nearing... EEK!

In no particular order... well in a random order

Al DiMeola (most of his work)
    Victor Wooten - A show of hands
    Andrea Bocelli - Romanza
    Karajan - Adagio
    Stomu Yamashta - Go too: Live
    Al Jarreau - This Time
    Crash Test Dummies - God shuffled his feet
    Deep Forest - Boheme
    Chuck Mangione - Live at the Hollywood Bowl
    Yanni - Tribute(embarassed to admit it-but its good)
    Idaho no,that's me

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

how about my top 10 bands with fav album in paranthesees:

10.Tears for Fears(the hurting)
    9.Seal(self titled 1st album)
    8.Chris Isaac(forever blue)
    7.the Police/Sting(dream of the blue turtles)
    6.Smiths(meat is murder)
    5.Tori Amos(under the pink)
    4.Sarah McLachlan(fumbling toward ecstasy)
    3.Smashing Pumpkins(meloncholy and the infinite sadness)
    2.NIN(pretty hate machine)
    1.the Cure(kiss me,kiss me, kiss me)

would like to give an honorary mention to Mazzy Star, Ministry, the Cult, the Church, the The, the Psychedelic Furs, Wolfsheim, Apoptygma Berzerk, Velvet Acid Christ, Covenant, Peter Murphy, Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, DVision, Fictional, KMFDM, Moby, Sisters of Mercy, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, David Bowie, Pet Shop Boys, the artist formerly known as Glyph, Rush and Pink Floyd. . . .

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

how about my top 10 bands with fav album in paranthesees:

10.Tears for Fears(the hurting)
    9.Seal(self titled 1st album)
    8.Chris Isaac(forever blue)
    7.the Police/Sting(dream of the blue turtles)
    6.Smiths(meat is murder)
    5.Tori Amos(under the pink)
    4.Sarah McLachlan(fumbling toward ecstasy)
    3.Smashing Pumpkins(meloncholy and the infinite sadness)
    2.NIN(pretty hate machine)
    1.the Cure(kiss me,kiss me, kiss me)

would like to give an honorary mention to Mazzy Star, Ministry, the Cult, the Church, the The, the Psychedelic Furs, Wolfsheim, Apoptygma Berzerk, Velvet Acid Christ, Covenant, Peter Murphy, Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, DVision, Fictional, KMFDM, Moby, Sisters of Mercy, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, David Bowie, Pet Shop Boys, the artist formerly known as Glyph, Rush and Pink Floyd. . . .

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

I was looking at all your albums. My man wanted to add his own but couldn't get registered !! so Iv let him use mine. They really helped him when times were bad for him and when the Jw's said that people were bad

1) Pills, thrills and bellyaches by The Happy Mondays
    2) In between the 10th and 11th by The Charlatans
    3) Turns into stone by the stone roses
    4) Gold mother by James
    5) Leftism by Leftfield
    6) Insides by The Orbital
    7) Puressence by Puressence

The album that really helps me thru the oppressive times that we live in is Black on both sides by Mos Def, I urge everyone to buy it and listen to it
    Cheerio from the UK

• Piano Reeves
  • riz
    riz

O.K. this was difficult. To narrow it down to just ten...but here goes.

10) The Sundays - Blind
    9) Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese
    8) Depeche Mode - Violator
    7) Jimi Hendrix - The Ultimate Experience
    6) The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs
    5) Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
    4) Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
    3) Smashing Pumpkins - (toss up between Gish and Siamese Dream)
    2) The Cure - (toss up between Wish and Standing on a Beach)
    1) Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy

there are just too many others to list. I could go on for pages

riz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit