How large is Societies legal department?

by puffthedragon 31 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• moshe
    moshe
    they sent two young brothers from Bethel to university to be qualified as lawyers.

Plenty of people have finished law school and passed the Bar exam who turned out to be poor attorneys and couldn't make a living in their chosen profession. I guess the WT will be stuck with them no matter what kind of a job they do.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Apparently WTBTS doesn't take the literal, plain-English reading of Jesus' command at Matt 5:40, "if someone sues you for your shirt, give him your coat, as well."

The WTBTS has mastered the fine art of turning literals into metaphors, allegories into literals, and parables into prophecies, with all the ease in which Jesus displayed when turning water into wine....

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

as long as they dont give their underwear

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Many law schools are getting sued by graduates who felt their law school misrepresented the job prospects (there's a glut of graduates with law degrees, and the job market is tight). Kinda sad the students didn't exercise due diligence of independent research before signing up for an expensive education (at a law-school located in a strip mall that only offers courses at night, no less).

" as long as they dont give their underwear"

I suppose it gives their lawyers a perfect fall-back if/when they lose a case (e.g. the condi case), where they can always tell the other lawyers, "I wasn't really trying all that hard to defend us, due to Matt 5:40." Can't really say anything to THAT kind of defense: you'd be taking on Jesus himself if you tried (although multi-million $ judgments will buy ALOT of tunics).

00DAD said:

" I continue to be astounded at the magnitude, the depth and the breadth of the hypocrisy of the leadership of this religion. Their lies and hypocrisy are so outrageous!"

Well, looking on the bright side, at least they ARE consistent. ;)

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

00DAD, Yes, believe it! The Circuit Overseer(5 years ago) said the society is not necessarily against higher educations in his Public Talk. I don't know whether it was in the outline or he added on in the talk. And then he gave an example, the Society send brothers and sisters(especially if you are a paralegal) to the college to become attorneis or architects, etc etc, for its advancment.

Yes, the Watchtower has, Once Again, a hypocritical double standard in this area as well(nothing new)!

After that talk I know what I needed to do with my children on their education. Do you know how much pressure I got from local elders and witnessess over my children's education?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have had some dealing with a female lawyer at Bethel. Someone else on this forum also had dealings with the same woman.

I was researching Establishment Clause law and an article in the journal I was reading concerning Jehovah's Witnesses and the Japanese persecution both before and during WWII caught my eye. Since I was looking for a break from reading my material, I read the article in its entirety.

The article was superbly reasoned. It was almost a perfect law journal article. Her article could have been extraorindary if she bothered to name or share the experience of a single individual Jehovah Witness in Japan. Being a Witness in Japan must have been much more difficult than in Germany. I recall few Yearbook accounts of Japanes Witnesses.

The entire focus of the article was on the institutional response to Japan. Brave Judge Rutherford shuffling papers in Brooklyn. Courageous Rutherford standing up to the authorities with the protection of the United States military and countless thousands of miles removed. Law review articles are sexed up a bit these days.

I sent her a note stating how the article was so well-written but I also mentioned that my father was at Bethel at the time. Rutherford was safe. One example of a human in Japan would have made the article so much more persuasive. The focus on the Society, rather than courageous members, was so typical. Next, I raised the issue of why Jehovah found her so better than me that I was forced to fight to stay in high school. During all my major life events: high school graduation, college graduation; law school graduation; writing amicus briefs for Supreme Court cases; practicing in a large firm; marriage--the thought that I was only present b/c my father died intruded my thoughts.

I will never truly understand how someone with such advanced critical thinking skills and legal analytic skills can believe the Witness line. A lawyer in the Witnesses must have status that Supreme Court justices do not enjoy. It would be so nice to see these lawyers as lowest-tier losers.

If anyone with a legal background can explain the legal or pragmatic reasons for maintaining a pedophile database when you have no legal libaility, please tell me. Also, why would you field calls from elders you do not represent for help with an issue when your client has no libaility?

I always read/observed that purging records at certain intervals was good practice. Of course, it has to be regular intervals rather than destroying records b/c they might be found in discovery.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Their lawyers appear to be good practicioners. What type of person oversees a pedophile registry and steers victims away from the authorities?

There is an ethical concern about advising non-clients when their interests are adverse to your client. Certainly the elders in Conti's KH are suffering greatly for not consulting their own lawyers. If we were dealing with sophsiticated and repeat legal clients, I am not so upset. We know, however, that elders are not sophisiticated legal consumers. I'm no ethics expert but don't the WT lawyers have a duty to clafiry their legal representation.

Imagine feeling that this lawyer, clothed with authority, is looking out for you. It is very sad. Perhaps the WT lawyers might use some codewords that gives the appearance of being on the side of the elder. Rather than immediately telephoning the Legal Department, mere common sense suggests that their first telephone call should be to their own , individual lawyers, completely independent from Brooklyn, and then to the authorities. The WT Legal Department should be further down the list.

If you have no liability and no moral duty to act, why bother fielding these calls. It is so chilling to me.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Bumped by Request for a Lurker..

............................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Giordano
    Giordano

Two good posts Band.

• stillin
    stillin

I agree. Band has raised several questions that I have also. "Chilling" is the appropriate word for the WTS advice to elders to call the Legal Department when the individual elders are NOT who they are looking out for.

Also unbelievable is the putting aside of their own critical thinking skills. These people are NOT stupid. Maybe it's the status that drives them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit