How large is Societies legal department?

by puffthedragon 31 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

I was just thinking about the WT attack on education and wondered where they would be without it.

Does anyone know how large the legal department is at bethel? Is it larger than the writing department? service department? factory workers?

Just wondering.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Barbara Anderson might know the answer.

• St George of England
    St George of England

They also have a sizeable legal department here in the UK.

George

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Actually, this is a hard call to make since the downsizing at headquarters began in 1999 and the figures at hand are nearly ten years old.

The latest definitive information for the United States that I have goes back to 2003 and is found in the April 8, 2003 (signed by Don A. Adams, President) Amended and Restated Charter of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania.

Although the name, "Leslie Long," is not found on the 2003 list that was included in that Restated Charter, a list that contains the names of 18 attorneys, Attorney Long was working for the Legal Dept. when we were at Bethel.

The page reads:

The names and addreses of attorneys admitted to practice in the State of New York who have, in the past year, made commitments to Watch Tower to provide legal services are:

William R. Bell, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, NY 12563
    Christine Benham, 275 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, Connecticut 06437
    Philip Brumley, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Max Custer, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Michelle Dickinson, 27 Hudson Watch Drive, Ossining, New York 10562
    Lisa Douglas, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Robert C. James, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Richard King, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Adam Linett, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    James M. McCabe, 4817 Santa Monica Avenue, Suite B, San Diego, California 92017
    John Miller III, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Richard Moake, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Mario F. Moreno, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Erna Neufeld, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Paul D. Polidoro, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Donald T. Ridley, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563
    Carolyn R. Wah, 100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563

Attorneys Bell, Brumley, James, McCabe, Moreno, Olds, Polidoro, Ridley, and Wah have been representing the Watch Tower the longest, especially Ridley. Brumley runs the Legal Department and has done so even before the Society put him through law school.

Bell, Brumley, James, McCabe, Ridley, and Wah were at Brooklyn Bethel when we were. Since 2003, I'm sure that other attorneys have come on board as well as some on the list probably have gone their own way. Not to be overlooked are many support people working in Legal such as paralegals and secretaries.

Note that three attorneys on the list don't live at headquarters. Furthermore, there are other JW attorneys around the US that will do work in their area for the Society if asked.

When I was in Bethel, it appeared to me that the Writing Department and the Service Department were larger than the Legal Department. There were about 6 or 7 attorneys living at Bethel in the early 1990s compared to the 15 living at Patterson in 2003.

Back then, in the Writing Dept., included with the writers, there were also many support people, totaling up to around 25 in the department. (Service Dept. probably had about the same number of personnel as Writing.) But now, it would appear to me that there would be less need for writers and their support personnel since the Society decreased the amount of literature and pages published. Consequently, when counting in support personnel, it could be that Legal has more people than Writing in that according to recent reports of law suits, these have not abated but increased since 2003.

If I'm correct in my assumptions, what irony and absurdity this is for a religion to have a greater need for secular lawyers than for religious editorial writers.

Barbara

• Gayle
  • Vidqun
    Vidqun

One of my family members visted the Brooklyn Bethel recently. She spoke to the brothers about their stance on secular education. They informed her that she doesn't have her facts straight. Recently (I don't know how recent) they sent two young brothers from Bethel to university to be qualified as lawyers. My thoughts on the matter: The R&F should not pursue Higher Education for themselves or their children. A different set of standards applies to Bethel.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Recently (I don't know how recent) they sent two young brothers from Bethel to university to be qualified as lawyers.

This is the kind of info that would piss off a lot of faithful JWs.

Their donated funds can be used to send young JWs to college, but they should not send their own kids to college.

Hypocrites & Pharisees. (We already knew that.)

Doc

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Vidqun:

The Bethel brothers said that they are not against college? Really?

Can you elaborate?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

How can they be against college if they send their own people to attend? I know they did it in the past. This sounds more recent. I agree, a lot of the brothers (and sisters) will not be impressed. I'll try and find out exactly what was said.

• pontoon
    pontoon

I knew Leslie Long. Les passed away about 3 years ago. His daughter also schooled and became an attorney during the time Les was working for the Borg. He lived with his family close to Patterson and they had Bethelite status. I don't know about his other children, a son maybe? Don't know if his daughter ended up working for the borg. She got married so her last name wouldn be different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit