I wish there were more JW's resisting the extreme elements within the religion

by Hermano 68 Replies latest jw friends

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

If you know email (or mail) addresses of JWs, who may have doubts, would it help them to send an anonymous message to them about the White House petition to "Protect Million of Americans from Dangerous Orgs" at http://wh.gov/tFK or its Facebook page at http://on.fb.me/wh-petition? I wrote about sending anonymous mails to JWs in the thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/211893/1/Youe28099ve-Got-Mail-TM. I also listed forwarding anonymous emails in the thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/226465/1/Its-Back-Round-2 as one option to promote the White House petition to JWs by warning them.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert..

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Hermano:

No, offense but I don't think that you will succeed in bringing about any changes in the religion just because you want to do a few things differently, such as moving to a new congregation or not contributing for certain literature. It will hardly be noticed, if at all. Many people move for a variety of reasons and it is no big deal.

If you are vocal about anything you don't like in the religion, it will get the attention of the control freaks and you will be pulled into a meeting to "readjust" your thinking. They are particularly paranoid about anybody who is VOCAL about anything or who is trying to get other people there to change their behavior. They will see you as a real threat, especially nowadays with the mass exodus of people leaving because of what they found out on the internet.

I don't see the sense in trying to "reform" any religion. My personal opinion is that I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

• Hermano
    Hermano

ABibleStudent, if I was a doubting JW and I got an email like that I would probably think damn apostates trying to make trouble. I'm not saying the petition itself is a bad idea, just saying that a doubting JW might be the wrong audience. It's one thing to continue speaking to a df'd loved one, it's another thing to sign a petition against the Org. To a doubting JW that has evil apostate written all over it, IMHO.

• Hermano
    Hermano

I don't think that you will succeed in bringing about any changes in the religion just because you want to do a few things differently, such as moving to a new congregation or not contributing for certain literature. It will hardly be noticed, if at all.

If you are vocal about anything you don't like in the religion, it will get the attention of the control freaks and you will be pulled into a meeting to "readjust" your thinking.

My personal opinion is that I just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Thanks for the feedback LongHairGal. I don't think I or anyone else will effect any change all alone. It's like bullying. One person standing up to a bully will get their @ss kicked. A bunch of people changing the dynamic and sending a message that it's not Ok to bully can effect change.

Also, I'm not suggesting that the conscious class be directly vocal. That would engage the cult personality in even the moderates. The regime would love that because then they can just df you and get rid of you. You can no longer "contaminate" the others. I'm suggesting the conscious class stay in and resist in subtle ways. I'm not suggesting anyone speak out against the organization. I'm suggesting instead of judging those who are obeying 100% that they be supported and treated with love. If an elder has a problem with that you can just say you're trying to encourage the brother. I'm suggesting the feeling of isolation that one has when not obeying 100% is created by the regime as a control mechanism. How can that be combatted?

I don't blame you for wanting to get the hell out of there. Sadly that isn't a viable option for everyone. I believe those who can't leave can actually help others awaken if they play their cards right. If enough people wake up the regime will either have to losen it's grip or tighten the noose so much that it could actually lead to a mass defection. Besides, what good is it to be a leader of a high control group, if you don't have a high level of control?

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hermano - ABibleStudent, if I was a doubting JW and I got an email like that I would probably think damn apostates trying to make trouble. I'm not saying the petition itself is a bad idea, just saying that a doubting JW might be the wrong audience. It's one thing to continue speaking to a df'd loved one, it's another thing to sign a petition against the Org. To a doubting JW that has evil apostate written all over it, IMHO.

Hi Hermano, Would you only think damn apostates trying to make trouble? Would any seed of doubt be planted?

Also, could anonymous emails be sent to JWs that might peek their interest and plant seeds of doubts? How about sending them a link to visit www.jwnews.org, www.jwfacts.com, or www.watchtowerdocuements.com? Would JWs be more likely to open emails with addresses similar to an elder's email address? Just wondering how to help more moderate JWs to awaken. I know that the uber JWs would probably delete any emails without reading them.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• hoser
    hoser

"It's like bullying. One person standing up to a bully will get their @ss kicked."

It's not like bullying Hermano. It IS bullying. I would like all on this site to read the kickbully.com website.

The tactics that many JW's engage in IS bullying

Hidden traits:

1. Charming
    2. Obsessed with image
    3. Distorts truth and reality
    4. Evasive
    5. Plays the victim
    6. Self-righteous
    7. Pompous
    8. Hypocritical
    9. Two-faced
    10. Rumor-monger
    11. Passive-aggressive
    12. Pretends to care
  • mamalove
    mamalove

I think it really depends on the individual personality. My mother is hardcore JW. My sister went to college, 4 year degree. Never pioneered and she was more "spiritual" than I was in my mom's eyes.

My mom also chooses to not believe in headship and other garbage as she does her own research. But shunning is ok with her. ;)

Often, people with more money are the ones who have more ability to pick and choose what they believe, and take stands against certain things and have an easier time with it than JWs with less financial means.

• Hermano
    Hermano

ABiblestudent, the website that seems to me to strike the most appropriate tone for moderate witnesses is http://www.jwstruggle.com/. Seems to me like it's written from the perspective of Witnesses who have not given up on the faith, but know something is not right.

JWfacts.com was a tremendous resource for me, but only when I wanted to know the truth no matter how ugly it was. It may stir up some doubts in moderate witnesses, but it may also trigger the cult personality, IMHO.

I dont think a petition like that would raise doubt with a moderate because it's too directly oppositional to the group. It may work on someone who is more ready to exit.

Moderate JW's will probably open an email that appears to be coming from an elder, but if the writer doesn't thread very lightly it will trigger the aposta-radar. Pehaps an annonymous email that doesn't directly refer to religion per se, but has an empowering message.... (Not that one single email will do it, obviously, but it may start someone on the journey. Their self esteem has to be built up, and that takes more than one email.)

This is why I feel that those still in are in the best position to do this. It's about building rapport, giving support, offering unconditional love, and as Steve Hassan would say, empowering people to think for themselves.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Yes hoser, I agree. It is bullying. And some elders (managers) can be more aggressive than others. Some congragations are more toxic than others. Bullies prey on loners and part of bullying is making the victim feel like everyone is against him.

So what if the moderate elements supported each other and that feeling of I'm the only one whose not giving 100% wasn't there? What if the brother who sent his kids to college got together with the brother who talks to his disfellowshipped son and the brother who barely goes out in service and just had a good time talking about anything and everything except for the religion? Wouldn't that be a lot better than feeling left out because you didn't get invited to the pioneer get together?

• Hermano
    Hermano
    My mom also chooses to not believe in headship and other garbage as she does her own research. But shunning is ok with her. ;)

Often, people with more money are the ones who have more ability to pick and choose what they believe, and take stands against certain things and have an easier time with it than JWs with less financial means.

Isn't that interesting, mamalove. Seems like even the hardcore JW's ignore the GB at least some of the time.

Yeah, somehow money has got something to do with it, doesn't it..... Things that make you go mmmm.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit