I wish there were more JW's resisting the extreme elements within the religion

by Hermano 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Hermano
    Hermano

I wish there were more JW's resisting the extreme elements within the religion. I beleive there are many who know some of the things they hear and read are whack, but stay because they think it's still the group God has chosen. But there are ways to voice your opinion without being too vocal or disassociating:

If your congregation is too strict or giving you a hard time, find a more liberal congregation and move there. If there is not a more liberal congregation, at least the move might get the heat of your back and you can remain more annonymous in your new congregation.

If you hear something really extreme or not quite Christian-like at an assembly, don't clap. It may not sound like a big deal, but if 1 out of every 4 in the audience did that, it would send a powerful message.

Don't donate for literature that is extreme or hate-filled.

If you have very close friends, slowly and carefully talk to them about the extremist and hateful viewpoints. They idea is not to get them out, but rather let them (and yourself) know that you feel that way. Create a support network within and slowly spread the message.

The change has to come from within, and the change has to come from the grassroots level.

• extractor
    extractor

Is it true the Irish JWs refuse to shun family? Oh, if JWs would just say, "It's not Christian to shun family & I refuse to do it." That would be HUGE. What would they do... DF millions?

But, reality is, it's a big monsterous machine. Fall in line... or get run over.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Truth is there are millions of JW's doing things they are told not to, and millions not doing things they are told to do. The problem is they all think they are the only ones.

I'm not suggesting you tell anyone that you refuse to shun family. That's a quick way to get df'd. You don't have to tell anyone who might get you in trouble that you're speaking to df'd family.

I think many are not falling quite in line and are not run over.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

The R&F are looking less like the nazi army marching in formation and more like a Benny Hill skit (except it ain't funny).

• Hermano
    Hermano

Very true, Disillusioned Lost-Lamb. Many are listening to their own conscience instead of just blindly obeying. Which is perhaps why the extremist elements keep harping on Obedience, obedience, obedience.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Yes, you are right. I know a jw who sent his children recently to college. He is not being "used" in the congregation, but he and his family are happy going to meetings, commenting, and some field service. He told me that once his family and a relative who was a speaker at the District Conv. reserved rooms at a hotel that was not on the WTS approved hotels list because it was closer and had rooms available.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

If your congregation is too strict or giving you a hard time, find a more liberal congregation and move there. If there is not a more liberal congregation, at least the move might get the heat of your back and you can remain more annonymous in your new congregation.

How is this "resisting". You aren't speaking out and sdaying anything. It might not be easy to just pack up and move to another congregation. For many people that means moving away from their jobs or schools or every person you know including family.

If you hear something really extreme or not quite Christian-like at an assembly, don't clap. It may not sound like a big deal, but if 1 out of every 4 in the audience did that, it would send a powerful message.

No it wouldn't send out any message. And to whom would they be sendign it to? The WTS doesn't care about 10 people who aren't clapping. They don't care about individuals. Every JWs is expendable and if you don't agree then they will find a replacement for you.

Don't donate for literature that is extreme or hate-filled.

Ummm this is exactly why the coffers are so low and people aren't paying up. It only moves the powers that be to "encourage" JWs to pay more which increases guilt and then others pay more - often those who least can afford it.

If you have very close friends, slowly and carefully talk to them about the extremist and hateful viewpoints. They idea is not to get them out, but rather let them (and yourself) know that you feel that way. Create a support network within and slowly spread the message.

Great way to get a couple of elders at your door wanting to ask a lot of questions about your commitment to the organization.And if you don't stop it then you will find yourself sitting at the back of the hall while every single JW you know refuses to talk to you.

Truth is there are millions of JW's doing things they are told not to, and millions not doing things they are told to do. The problem is they all think they are the only ones.

I'm not suggesting you tell anyone that you refuse to shun family. That's a quick way to get df'd. You don't have to tell anyone who might get you in trouble that you're speaking to df'd family.

But you don't know who will turn you in. You say something to one person and they repeat it to another and the elders want to take you into the back room for a little talk. JWs are trained to turn people in "for their own good" and for "the good of the congregation"

I think many are not falling quite in line and are not run over.

True because they are fading or going through the motions so they don't lose family. They keep their heads down and theeir mouths shut.

There are also many who are living double lives. But often they get caught or just leave or worse turn around and become fanatical JWs to atone for whatever sins they did while they were sitting on the fence.

This isn't something you can be half way about. Total control is supposed to be handed over to the org. In what you say, think, do and feel. For some the cognitive dissonace becoems intolerable and they eventually leave. Believe me people are leavign in great numbers and the powers that be are noticing. That is why they are getting more and more strict. They are trying to block the cracks int he damn before it breaks.

• jay88
    jay88

Hermano: Don't donate for literature that is extreme or hate-filled.

Donation is fine only when they advocate education and career advancement that would allow me to donate.

Advocate, Advocate, Advocate a means, to make it in this world (financially speaking), and I could careless what you preach, I would donate.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Yup, straightshooter, college is an area in which A LOT of JW's are doing what they know is right instead of what the extremists tell them. And the more JW's go to college or send their kids to college, the more ridiculous the position of those insisting they don't go to college becomes.

• jay88
    jay88

@Hermano

I am not neccessarily talking about a 4-year college. At minimum, could there be a two-year technicial/career center for young ones in good standing between the ages of 16-28?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit