I wish there were more JW's resisting the extreme elements within the religion

by Hermano 68 Replies latest jw friends

• factfinder
    factfinder

I agree with you Lady Lee, more and more are leaving and the gb is getting more and more strict to try to force people to stay in the congregations. They are afraid their family and friends will stop speaking to them if they leave so they feel trapped in the org. This is what the gb wants. I think the gb will become ever more extreme, strict and judgemental as 2014 approaches.

I gave up going to meetings as a brother in good standing nearly 7 years ago. I am not disfellowshipped or DA'd, but my jw brother disowned me two years ago because I refuse to return to the meetings. His devotion to the gb is sickening.

During the last few years I was a witness I heard things I did not agree with and would not clap at meetings or assemblies. I was looked at as being unfaithful.

• Hermano
    Hermano

This isn't something you can be half way about. Total control is supposed to be handed over to the org. In what you say, think, do and feel.

Thanks for you comment, Lady Lee. Since the extremists demand total control, not giving it to them is a form of resistance. I think of "the organization" as a country. Just because people with certain agenda are in power and have followers doesn't mean that EVERYONE in the country agree with that agenda. It doesn't even mean that EVERYONE in power agrees with ALL of the administrations agenda.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

But then they wouldn't be good little JWs

• Hermano
    Hermano

It's a good idea jay88. But that's a long ways off. I think that could happen if more and more people go to college. It'll take a while. But I'm not going to say it can't happen. Heck, if you would've told me 25 years ago that the Society would one day produce a cartoon aimed at kids I would've scoffed at such non-sense. And yes, I realize it's creepy. But hey, that fact is it's a change.

• Hermano
    Hermano

Yes, 00Dad. But there are some witnesses who don't care about being good little witnesses. What I'm saying is, we can't paint ALL witnesses with the same brush. I know there are some who sacrifice their first-born son if told to do so. But there also others, who know that some of the stuff written in the publications and said from the platform is rubbish.

• minimus
    minimus

Not many leave. When they do, it's because something catastrophic happened to THEM!!!

• Hermano
    Hermano

I agree factfinder. The rhetoric is getting more extremist and judgemental. Sorry to hear about your brother. You say you were looked as unfaithful. While I don't doubt that some or maybe even many looked at you that way, could it also be the case that some looked at you with compassion? Could it be you made some THINK by not clapping at everything that was said?

• Hermano
    Hermano

I remember an elder in my congragation who was a bit different. He wasn't as judgmental as everyone else. On Saturday mornings, he would always take off by himself or with his son to do return visits. When I decided to go to college, he told me privately that he thought it was a wise decision due to economic factors. In short, he wasn't an extremist. At the time, I was trying to be an ubber Jehovahs Witness, so I thought he was lame. But now I think he's one of the people that fascilitated my awakening. It seems to me like he was resisting. And by being just a little bit different he may have helped me and perhaps others to have the courage to NOT obey every single thing that the extremists say.

• minimus
    minimus

bet he isn't an elder now.

• Hermano
    Hermano

I don't know what his current status is minimus. But he was resisting. And he made an impact on me. Could he have also made an impact on others? I think he was the first person that made me feel like perhaps I was being too hard on myself. Now I don't think he ever said that to me directly, but somehow he communicated it. He did me more good staying an elder and being himself, than just quitting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit