The new kids DVD - was it deliberate? What are we missing?

by cedars 57 Replies latest jw friends

• traveb
    traveb

Being around sincere JWs most of the time, they'll eat this up no questions asked. It's ingrained in their culture.

As far as producing such a short DVD, it's purely for profit. It costs the WTS pennies per DVD to produce. Remember, most conventions (at least in the Western word) are money makers. The average JW on their way out will total it up in their head, "Let's see, I got two brochures and two DVDs, I better donate X amount of dollars".

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

traveb >> he average JW on their way out will total it up in their head, "Let's see, (...) I better donate X amount of dollars".

After watching the DVD their eyes will open in disbelief:

"Whoa, honey, that's it? ... Let's make sure to check the back cover next year to see if it's just 15 minutes as well?

• snakeface
    snakeface

I just saw on youtube the video about the boy bringing sparlock home, and then there's a scene where he's throwing it in the trash as his mother holds the trashcan open.

Why didn't the parents have the boy return the toy to his schoolmate, and have a Bible-based discussion with this friend on why he is returning it? That could be a witness to the schoolmate, which could lead to the schoolmate and his entire family coming into the Truth.......

Here's a more realistic scenario. The boy comes home from school with the toy. The mother is too sick to notice because she's going for cancer treatments. The "worldly" neighbor Mrs Goat who never talks to JWs at her door, is the one who always takes the boy's mother for her cancer treatment even though it means she has to take time away form her own church activites. None of the sisters are available to do so because they are auxiliary pioneering this month and also getting ready to feed the circuit overseer and his wife. The boy's father had to step down from being a MS because his hours are too low, because he has to work 3 jobs to pay his wife's medical bills. Therefore the whole family has been marked as "weak" and "materialistic". None of the JW kids will play with the boy. So Mrs Goat, on the way back from the mother's cancer treatment, brings the boy to a toy store and lets him pick out a toy, because she has noticed that none of the witness kids play with him anymore.

Scene 2. The mother discovers that the boy has the toy and asks where he got it. The boy tells her. The boy's parents are disappointed that it is a toy they do not approve of. However, they want to set an example and teach their son manners, and also that hospitality is a 2-way process: one extends the hospitality (giving a gift) and the other accepts the hospitality and says thank you. They put the toy away somewhere and save it only for whenever Mrs Goat is taking the mother to the doctor, so that Mrs Goat will see the boy playing with it. The boy is old enough to understand that different people have different beliefs and that has to be respected.

Scene 3. The elders come by because the parents have not turned in their time. They see the toy in the house and tell the mother that is what caused her cancer and that she will die at Jehovah's own hands as an apostate and the boy will be an orphan forever. After they leave they are all crying and they call Mrs Goat. Mrs Goat comes over and hugs them all, and brings a meal over. She tells them that all these years she has never criticized their beliefs but has observed many things that shocked her. Mrs Goat assures them that she will always be there for them and that she will gladly find others from her church to help them; after all, her church teaches unconditional love, "the golden rule" and other things like that.

Scene 4. Mrs Goat and her fellow church people continue helping this family through their difficult time, whereas the witnesses continue to tell them how much they are greiving God's spirit and that armageddon is right around the corner...a hospital patient should be able to witness to doctors and nurses in order to get her time if she really took the truth seriously. But of course it's not completely her fault because her "head" is setting a poor example by allowing them to miss meetings.

Scene 5. A year later, the mother has recovered! The whole family is grateful to Mrs Goat and her church friends, including the children who provided companionship for the boy. They sneak into the hall during a meeting and put Sparlock and their dissassociation letters on the magazine counter, only to find out that Sparlock really does have magical powers! Yes, Sparlock stands up, the sound system goes out, the ceiling starts crumbling...the family runs out. But the rest of the congregation stays in, rejoicing that armagageddon has begun and that they are where they are supposed to be in order to survive. The hall collapses, killing everyone inside. But the family is safe because they got out of there just in time.

Scene 6. The church people take up a collection to help surviving family members of the JWs who were killed in the hall. The pastor contacts the WT Scoiety and offers to let them hold their mtgs in the church hall temporarily (for free) until they build a new hall. But the Wt people chew the pastor out, calling it a goat shed and a house of demons, and say that they don't associate with devil-worshippers. The pastor responds that his offer will still be good if they change their minds.

Mrs Goat, the former JW family, and their new friends from the church go on to live happy lives.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    The GB just don't have any creativity for writing, no fresh ideas. They don't have much to dare to come up with any new prophetic ideas. Can't seem to write any kind of new 'book' size of anything. They have run themselves 'dry.'

Once upon a time, there was a cultish high control group run by a dude and then later by a group of Governing Dudes. The Dudes made predictions, made laws and were super awesome unquestionable rulers of the group. People flocked to join their high control group!

But then, the Dudes who were really in control started to die off. They had named some of the best cult members (yes men!) to take their places as Governing Dudes, but these replacements were not really Governing Dudes...they were just followers of the old Governing Dudes.

Once the followers were in charge, they just keep following their old dead leaders. They tried to copy the way the old Governing Dudes did things, but it didn't work.

Because these people are not really cult leaders, they are just cult members. Cult members with no leader.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hah!!!

Snakeface, I LOVE your alternate scenario!!!

• d
    d

The video does seem elementary at best.

• snakeface
    snakeface

You know what would be funny? When the mother opens the trash so the kid can put Sparlock in, she see all the tracts the family had put in all the not-at-home neighbors' doors over the previous weekend.

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

When I was a kid, I got Indigo Bright, the black friend of Rainbow Bright. She came with a sprite. You guessed it. I had to throw the sprite away because it was a magical creature. (Incidentally, my mother still drank Sprite.) I just viewed one part of the video. It makes me so angry. Firstly, the kids are getting brainwashed. If they don't get out they will have problems as adults *points to self*. Secondly MAGIC DOES NOT COME FROM SATAN!!!! It's prolly no coincidence that Sparlock is close to warlock, a term considered derogatory to some pagans. Stuff like this makes me grateful that my kids do not have grow up as I did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit