Opinions on keeping your identity secret

by rebel8 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Keeping quiet about it isn't always easy. There are days when I want to tell everyone I see just how dangerous the JW's are. And there are days when I want to forget that part of my life ever happened. Sometimes I don't care who sees what I post, and other times I fear that eventually things I say will get reported to the elders (which has happened already...). Why do I care anymore? Who knows? I still deal with some deeply-ingrained fears even though these men and their silly little club have no power over me whatsoever. I think when I can finally get past that (which I think getting DF'ed will in and of itself remedy that), I will probably no longer care.

Rebel8, it's completely understandable that you don't want the stigma of recovering from childhood abuse or from being raised in a cult. It's important to be able to keep those things out of your present life, especially considering your career. I don't think I'd want to be viewed in any sort of negative light or have any type of stigma attached to me if I were high-profile.

For those who are brave enough to put their stories out there and be a support to those who are exiting even though they choose to remain anonymous, your hard work is recognized and appreciated. You take a huge risk of being outed every single time you share a part of your experience with us. For the most part, we all know the feeling of constantly looking over your shoulder and wondering when or if the ax is going to fall. You stick your neck out to help others on a regular basis and we love you for it.

For those who can and do put a face to "apostasy" and show what victims of the Watchtower look like, THANK YOU. Your efforts in this regard have helped and continue to help many who are on the fence or are just starting to question. Letting those people know that apostates aren't all evil and wild-eyed and looking to get followers is a key in helping them to actually LISTEN.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Double post

• nugget
    nugget

Circumstances and people vary so it would be reasonable to suppose that a variety of strategies would be required. People are also at different stages of their exit and may change their mind regarding their approach as time progresses. To suggest that there is only one way to do things is to deny someone their freedom to choose for themselves and to go back to the idea that there is one truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit