Racism, Justice and What Goes Unnoticed

by metatron 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Look at the family unit and you see the future.

Look in each ethnic family and see what the moral fiber consists of.

Is there solidarity? Or is there not?

Each generation reaps the benefit or consequences of father and mother.

Think about it.

• metatron
    metatron

It's posts such as these that illustrate why I love having a close African American friend. I know that sounds like a cliche but her opinions keep me honest and knowledgeable about respect for something that's outside my experience. It's healthy.

I get to understand her amusement at watching Mitt Romney "relate" to black people. I can see the humor in it, now.

I'm sure you can argue the point - as was once done on Oprah - and by Chris Rock - and possibly Bill Cosby that most interracial births are from a white girl. And yes, it's love, or can be, as much as any relationship is, at that age.

The NY Times published a fairly recent article arguing that there needs to be more interracial marriage - of black women - to give them a fair shot at marriage, statistically. There was some backlash from black women over this suggestion, with many comments that they might have not like to have a fair skinned baby, less brown than them. I guess we all need to adjust. I really hadn't thought about it, that way.

The comments about racism in the US that's still with us are sad. You may think this is rather a tangent but I'm very interested in UFO's and wonder, if we haven't learned to accept our own differences in appearance as humans, perhaps that explains why Aliens don't land on the White House lawn: we're just not ready!

metatron

• wasblind
    wasblind

And just think,

The WTS acknowleges , that God gave Ceasar the authority to give you a voice through a vote

but be silent, " wait on the kingdom "

Be silent on your rights to be treated with any human decency like havin' the right to public facilities

transportation, and education of your choice

Be silent on not bein' able to love who you choose and live where you want." Wait on the kingdom"

While givin' themselves the pat on the back for race relation

Jesus didn't get involed in politics. wait on the kingdom. See folks Jesus respected the Jim Crow laws of the south

" Jesus respected the machinery of government, although he refused to operate it."______July 1, 2010 WT page 23 paragraph two public editon

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" Edit: Even if the whole world were one color, folks would find somethin' to distinguish themselves as " Better "

Yep, Jane Elliott proved that: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/divided/etc/synopsis.html

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" There was some backlash from black women over this suggestion, with many comments that they might have not like to have a fair skinned baby, less brown than them."

Hm, I don't know of that kind of backlash that is or if it's even reality. What I've seen in my own family and others is a preference and favoritism shown towards children who were lighter. My dear cousin told me about witnessing an aunt of our's aunt worry about the marriage prospects for her darker daughter (she has two, the oldest is lighter) because she wasn't (in her mind) as pretty as the older girl. Trust me, the younger darker girl is much prettier than her older sister (beautiful I would say, her older sister is goofy looking) but because she's darker her own mother doesn't consider her to be the lovely person she is.

My own mother considered me (the lighter one) to be the beautiful one and my sister (the darker one and the same shade as my mother) to be the smart one. Neither view was reality or a compliment. My sister is gorgeous and I think I'm a pretty smart gal.

• Diest
    Diest

You can be racist and still have black kids. My friend is half-black (or as she says halfrican) and her mother is crappy to her all the time. When argueing about politics her mother actually told her she should go back to where she came from. This is not the only case of an interracial family where one side does not understand certain difference in life.

I think if Obama was white, and had all the same ideas, and chrisima the republicans would not have been such a party of No. I think they would have worked with him more than they did.

• metatron
    metatron

Well, one disadvantage to dating black women concerns their brown eyes (except for Vanessa Williams).

It's too difficult to see their pupils and thereby know if they're "interested" in more than talk.

metatron (let's see the reaction to that........)

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey Mrs Jones,

I ain't aware of that as a reality either, I'm darker than all my sisters

I ask my mom why, and instead of sayin' I inherited my dads complextion

she said it was because she called him a black son of a bitch, while she carried

me

she came to hate that man so bad, she didn't even want to admit that my complextion

was inherited from him. What a thing to tell a child, don't get me wrong, I had a very

good mom otherwise

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

AnneB said:

Metatron: You wrote "How did this happen? A rebellious teenage daughter dating a black guy, I'd wager.... " It couldn't have been love, eh???

Exactly.

And if we are so far removed from all this racist stuff, why would a white girl dating a black guy be considered 'rebellious?'

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

A rebellious teenage daughter dating a black guy, I'd wager....

And for that matter, why do we assume teenager? Why would we assume that grandchild wasn't just out on a day trip with the grandparent and not actually being raised by the grandparent? Why don't we assume that the child's parents are adults and that they are taking care of their own child?

I have a friend who used to babysit a little girls whose father was white, and mother was black. They were married. They worked. They owned a house. My friend could have easily been mistaken for a grandmother. A stranger approached her and said "That's disgusting!" (my friend is white, and committed the sin of taking a child of mixed background out into public.)

Yeah---a whole lot of assuming going on.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit