Racism, Justice and What Goes Unnoticed

by metatron 25 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

A lot of white people adopt african american babies.

Obama is not a true progressive. He wasted all of his political capital and still got no respect.

The reason I would like to see Romney win is to end the stalemate. The racist Republicans aren't going to let Obama get anything done.

It would be better if Romney wins and the Democrats take back the house in 2014. You'll have two years while the money people open their wallets to create the illusion things have improved.

Also, Romney flip-flops like crazy. That's really a good thing. He knows what he needs to look like to get the republican nomination. He will be a big disappointment to Republicans and probably will reach out to the democrats once they get back control of both houses.

• talesin
    talesin

mrsjones - I remember reading about that classroom before. It's interesting to know how the experiment affected the lives of those children, as they grew to adulthood.

I would love to see this principle applied to rich and poor! Maybe if some of the people who have been more fortunate in life financially, whether they were born into weath, or had the good fortune (which is usually a combination of intelligence, hard work, good health and LUCK) to rise above the poverty into which they were born, were treated like garbage and called 'lazy', had to dress in rags and be hungry for a week or so, they would stop putting down the poor, and realize how privileged they really are.

To address another point in this discussion, I have a life-long friend (who prefers to be called 'black' as opposed to African-Canadian) who is lighter-skinned than most of his family, and he has always been looked down upon by other family members because he is 'not black enough'. It works both ways.

We also had a shocking episode of cross-burning and racial persecution happen right here in Nova Scotia last year. These heinous acts were committed against a bi-racial couple, who lived in the country, and were perpetrated by a group of red-neck youths. It was a humbling lesson that racism and white supremacy have a hold here as well.

And just to show both sides of the coin, my personal experience has been of being physically assaulted by youths of colour while walking through 'the hood', and having the neighbourhood cheer them on, in broad daylight. Why? Well, I remember hearing these words "Get the white bitch!"

tal

• wasblind
    wasblind

I hate you had to go through that talespin,

goes to show, ignorance has no bounderies

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

In my family, the grandchildren, neices and nephews represent: Italians, Austrians, South Americans, Ukranians, Phillipinos, and Swedes.

I used to be proud of our multi-national family, but the JW's have stolen that from us, as well. The religion divides us now.

Tal:

We also had a shocking episode of cross-burning and racial persecution happen right here in Nova Scotia last year. These heinous acts were committed against a bi-racial couple, who lived in the country, and were perpetrated by a group of red-neck youths. It was a humbling lesson that racism and white supremacy have a hold here as well.

The Maritimes part of Canada is unique in this - they are the shame of Canada when it comes to racism against Blacks.

And just to show both sides of the coin, my personal experience has been of being physically assaulted by youths of colour while walking through 'the hood', and having the neighbourhood cheer them on, in broad daylight. Why? Well, I remember hearing these words "Get the white bitch!"

See above. Also, I am appalled that this happened to you (((Tal )))

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks, was & Palm. Poor people are very angry, and that's where I was walking - in the poorest neighbourhood in town. When I was a teen, things were different in that neighbourhood, and I never feared walking there. I believe it's easier/natural for people to direct their anger and frustration at the nearest target that is 'different' or 'other' than them.

Wow, now I am really shocked, Palm! It's the first time I've ever heard that, really truly! Truth be told, we are quite proud to be the end of the Underground Railway, although we have the Africville scandal - hmm, maybe that is the basis of that western feeling.

I am going to have to ask my contacts in BC what the scoop is out there. I'm wondering if it's a regional bias. Get this,, down here, it's the racism against aboriginal people in the prairies that is thought of as the shame of Canada. I have seen so much about racism in Toronto on programs like the Fifth Estate. Try googling 'racism in Toronto'.

Perhaps it's a regional thing -- western Canada feels they are superior to East, BC thinks they are better, down east we think Albertans are rednecks, and everybody hates quebec! JUST KIDDING!!!!!

OY! you learn something new every day ... wow! Glad you told me, though, just stunning!

t

• talesin
    talesin

You know, that really saddens me. :(

The older I get, the more life sux.

and just to be really clear, I wasn't trying to 'attack' western Canada,, just that's the way it is - regional bias,etc ... wow. :(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit