Racism, Justice and What Goes Unnoticed

by metatron 25 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I have a well educated friend (who happens to be African - American) and I love our discussions because I can talk to her openly and honestly, with less guardedness than others. On one hand, I feel I'm right - but on the other hand, I acknowledge that she may have a viewpoint that I haven't considered.

We argue about Obama - she, that he may lose due to racism, I , that racism didn't prevent him from being elected. As to 'justice for Trayvon' being a reason for black on white violence, let me ask the following:

How many 'white folks' are raising 'black babies' currently?

Next time you pass by a stroller, take a good look. Having grandma taking care of a cafe au lait grandkid is common. I passed a huge old white dude in the Home Depot today, as he was holding the hand of a very small coffee toned grandchild, walking thru the store. How did this happen? A rebellious teenage daughter dating a black guy, I'd wager.... I can tell you about a time in which any such children were invisible, denied, hidden, unthinkable. Senator Strom Thurman denied his black daughter, to the end.

In the end, we're all just 'mutts'. As late as the '50's, lynching still existed - but today is different, remarkably so.

Now tell me how things are 'worse and worse' !

metatron

• ssn587
    ssn587

I myself have 3 grandchildren whom are mixed. Father was black and mom white. We have no racial problems and they don't like ob and his economic polices and they also believe he is the one constantly playing the race card. It won't be racism that dumps ob it is hism failed policies. Hope and change was a smokescreen.

• ssn587
    ssn587

We are rather mutts that is how my daughter looks at herself as. I am part Cherokee and commanche, Scottish. ,nd Irish back ground/ancestors. My wife was Asian Spanish and Chinese mixed. So we are mutts for sur very few pure bloods out there.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Racism and homophobia is common around the area the area of Arkansas where Im from. People still burn crosses in front yards of interracial couples

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-03/justice/arkansas.cross.burning_1_cross-burning-housing-rights-intimidation?_s=PM:CRIME

LRG

• cantleave
    cantleave

Good grief LRG - it sounds like you are surrounded by asswipes!

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

I'd love to live where they would try that on me. I'm white and my wife is African American. It would be a pig shoot as I aim the pump action shotgun out the window and waste a few biggots.

Kojack

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

My wife are reminded of these small opinions when we venture outside of SoCal. It's a different world out there

• AnneB
    AnneB

Ever hear the expression "black and white town"? I heard it when we ventured out of SoCal and into the Midwest, where I was raised. It was used after I commented that the place where we were visiting seemed to be all white (and my family is not). I was told "the whites come out during the day and the blacks come out at night". I thought it was a strange answer, then I found out it was an accurate statement.

My grown, married kids now live in that town, that area. Racism is rampant. I left. They're still there, seemingly by choice. I don't get it; I raised 'em better'n that. My (future) husband and I left for California right after I graduated from high school.

As for grandparents, my mother wouldn't acknowledge my kids for years. When I was pregnant with the first one she actually offered to have the[ir] father killed. How it escaped my notice all the years I was growing up that my mother was talking one thing and living another I don't know, but once I figured it out I was glad I had only picked up the "good". It was no better on my husband's side; my MIL didn't want "that white girl" riding in her car. She tried to get us to give up that baby for adoption, she threatened to have him taken away. To the day she died I was never accepted, and this was an "educated" woman!

Metatron: You wrote "How did this happen? A rebellious teenage daughter dating a black guy, I'd wager.... " It couldn't have been love, eh??? And what makes you so sure it's the guy who is black?

You also wrote that "As late as the '50's, lynching still existed - but today is different, remarkably so." Really? As late as the late '80's we had to leave a Southern state because the local JW's warned us that my oldest son was about to be lynched (for real). His "crime"? He went out in field service with a white sister while her husband was at work. In that same town my oldest daughter was denied service at the local lunch counter while in the company of her mother (me), another (white) sister, and that sister's little daughter, same age as my girl. The waitress wouldn't take her order, wouldn't serve her food, but served the rest of us. The sister recognized what was happening before I did and got us out of there. We came back to SoCal (where all that matters is the color of your money; "Green Power").

Wish we'd stayed in CA, but no, my mother claimed she needed help so back we went into another part of the country where we lost property to the threat of arson, simply because we were willing to accept business from anyone who cared to do business with us. That was unacceptable in that large, Midwestern city; the blacks were supposed to stay East while the whites lived on the West side of town. How do you fight (and win) when attitudes like that are ingrained in communities for generations? We left 'em to it; we moved.

I don't think it's any better today. I'm still in telephone contact with some of the people I knew from "back there" in the Midwest. Every now and then I go back to visit. One by one, though, I'm losing those "friends" as unguarded comments make it clear that they never "approved" of my family composition.

Another phenomenon is the "choosing" that a lot of teens and young adults go through: my own daughter (same one mentioned earlier) differentiates between her two sisters and categorizes the younger one as "white". She pretty much rejects that sister on the basis of her color. Same two parents, same house, same upbringing, but that daughter has internalized the notion that color makes a difference. She's pretty much rejected me as well. I've talked to kids at a Midwestern university who told me the troubles they were having coming to terms with their parent's decision to become a couple, and how they, too, basically rejected one in favor of the other based on how they perceived themselves in terms of color or race. Again, prior to that discovery I was oblivious!

Can't we all just get along???

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello Metatron,

bein' able to acknowledge a view point you have not considered,

is the key to your continued discussions with your friend

Hello ssn587,

You are right, not all people who disagree wit President Obama, are racist

But extremist like the tea party and birthers did form out out a mindset based on his race

and used all kinds of non- issues to try and cover that fact. And the only issue they would

have a leg to stand on has not been proven

AnneB,

Sadly, we cannot all get along, that is why there are laws put in place to protect your civil rights

scince the mid-sixties your daughter has had the right to recieve service in any establishment

she choose and cannot be denied based on her race , sex, preference, or religious belief

a law was broken, by the refusal of serving your daughter, you in fact should " own" that eatery today

By not havin' to " wait on the kingdom" we now have a " taste " of paradise, thanks to the

folks who sacrificed their lives

what people view as better in terms of racial equality, is only what they see on the surface

when the civil rights laws went into effect, racism did not go away it went undercover, and has taken on

a more sophisticated form .

Edit: Even if the whole world were one color, folks would find somethin' to distinguish themselves as " Better "

• designs
    designs

Can we Kalifornicans secede from the Union.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit