Did You Feel Like A Pest When You Went House To House?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yes, I felt it was an intrusion, even though I tried to view it as a "life saving work." (TM)

• cedars
    cedars

Yes, and never more so than the few occasions on which I got roped into doing the dreaded "evening witnessing". There's nothing more creepy than walking round a neighborhood when it's dark and knocking on their doors. You inevitably interrupt their meals and/or relaxation, and NO ONE is impressed. I absolutely hated doing that kind or ministry more than any other. I think you have to be a bit of a nut job to enjoy it.

Cedars

• minimus
    minimus

Cedars, well stated (as usual).

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I recall growing up with a dude who was an uber-dub from the age of 4. When we are about 19 or so.....it happened to be the middle part of December. He looked at the calendar and saw that Christmas was going to fall on a Saturday that year. He was SO excited because all of the householders would be home instead of not at home due to the fact that they'll be celebrating Christmas! He called everyone he could to try to rev up interest in going out in service that morning. I told him he's an idiot. And that only an inconsiderate boob would pound on people's doors while they are trying to enjoy the one time per year that families can actually spend together. His response? "Every Saturday is magazine day. I don't care what pagan holiday they're celebrating. This is a wonderful opportunity to let them know they need to change their ways." Of course....his choice topic was the pagan origins of Christmas. The following day at the meeting I asked him how it went. He admitted that a lot of people were not happy. But the fact that they weren't happy gave him some sort of sadistic joy. It's weird. The more pushy and annoying the witness is.....the more cold the householder is. And the more cold the householder is.....well......the more that pushy witness interprets that treatment as "love of the greater number cooling off" or "persecution".

• Blind_Of_Lies
    Blind_Of_Lies

Knock Knock:

HH: Merry Christmas what can I do for you

UberBud: Christmas is a pegan and heres a poorly put together cupon book of a magazine telling you why

HH: Ive seen the error in my ways, how much shall I donate? Shall we do a bathtub babtizum?

I mean really...

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I felt it was dishonest to sneak into a block of flats. Only people with invitations from tenants should be allowed in. That defeats the entire purpose of the magnetic lock and buzzer. Since we were always dressed properly, most tenants held the door open for us and assumed that we were coming home from work. When we rang the individual flats, people usually thought we were a neighbour or a family member that got accidently locked out. They’d say “¡Entrar!” (Come in!) and we’d just buzz again. They’d open the door with a puzzled look on their face, and would just lose it when they found out what we were up to. I couldn’t blame them. We violated their privacy using a ruse to get in, and circumvented their security systems in what was for many a high-crime neighbourhood. Despite warnings from the police and flat managers, we kept on doing it like Jehovah’s instructions superseded anyone else’s.

• minimus
    minimus

It's so embarrassing when you look back at it, huh?

• yknot
    yknot

Prior to waking up--- No, I was trying to save them

After waking up--- Not really I am a double threat as JW and GirlScout mom ....and doing the occassional 'real FS' (versus counting my UBM/undunked kids and monthly 'retail fs') keeps me under the radar.... BTW I get way better results with Cookies then the Washtowel and Asleep.....not like many people are home these days....tons of locked gates too....

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I hated interrupting and badgering people while out in service.

• minimus
    minimus

Can you imagine how everyone looked at us, all dressed up with zombie like movements doing the Pioneer Shuffle?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit