If you were a Witness, when did you realize the Governing Body was apostate?

by matt2414 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• matt2414
    matt2414

For more than 30 years I believed everything that came from the Watchtower Society, especially since I lived at Bethel for a while and I knew a lot of the GB members, who to me seemed intelligent and personable. At the beginning, the emphasis was on the Bible, the kingdom, Jehovah and Jesus. But gradually over time, there would appear an elephant in the room that no one seemed to talk about, such as the change in the understanding of "generation." Then another elephant would appear when they started to harbor child molesters by not "giving Caesar's things to Caesar" and calling in reports of abuses. Then another elephant when "generation" changed again. Then another elephant appeared when the Gb usurped Jehovah and Christ and began demanding obedience that only rightfully should go to God. Then another elephant when "generation" changed again.

Now that I've been out for a while, I can see there's a whole damn zoo in there and everyone inside is afraid to talk about it.

Did anyone else have an a-ha! moment when they knew something was smelling bad? (Perhaps from all the elephants in the room?)

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

In my experience, there ended up being so many elephants in the room, there was no space left for me! I jusr realised my 'wait on Jehovah' mental file outweighed the 'this is the truth file'.

I don't think the society has become more authoritarian though, I think they always were, it's just when you start thinking for yourself the 'we're always right do what we say' attitude increasingly grates. You don't mind it so much when you truely believe they are speaking for God / God's mouthpiece / the expression of the heavenly kingdom on earth etc etc.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Only last year I found out the UN-NGO debacle. There were a few small jackals lighting the vineyard, e.g., their attitude to secular learning, child abuse and incompetence of JC's, etc. But riding the beast alongside Babylon the Great, that did it for me. That's certainly not practicing what you are preaching, more a case of do what I say, don't do what I do, just like the Pharisees of bygone days. The bonfire was lit and is burning brightly, thank you.

• designs
    designs

1968 Aid To Bible Understanding (two scenarios on creation), 1975 (of course), 1980 Apostate witch hunts begin, 1995 Generation change, 1999 hearing David Splane live. bye bye.

• james_woods
    james_woods

For me, it was when they kicked out Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap.

I knew about the reform movement they started through Ed's brother - and stupidly believed it could work.

The clouds were truly parted and I could see it for what it was when they were ejected for nothing but trying to ask for biblical reform.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Reading CoC was the moment I KNEW they were 100% BS. I had many little moments that got me there but that pushed me over So glad

• james_woods
    james_woods

CoC is absolutely the ultimate expose of the Watchtower Society - a book for all time.

I was already out for over 2 years when I read it the first time - Ed Dunlap gave me a copy when it was first published.

• St George of England
    St George of England

When I found this site.

George

PS For those that don't know I am still 'in' due to wife and family.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

still in George!!! I'm sorry wish the best for you and the family!

• St George of England
    St George of England

The cracks are slowly forming with my wife.

When she read the Aug 15, 2012 WT re the 4+ years building programme I mentioned the comparison with a 3/4 yr degree course. She said "It's alright when it suits THEM". That is the first time I have ever heard her criticize the WTS.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit