Massive faculty resignations at Georgia Baptist college requiring them to sign pledge against homosexuality

by cantleave 23 Replies latest social current

• cantleave
  • designs
    designs

good for those faculty that stood up for Civil Rights.

• Giordano
    Giordano

If the Catholic church demanded that they'd have no priests left.

• blondie
    blondie

As far as I know except for Bethelites, there is not a similar pledge for the average jws. Do elders, COs, DOs, etc., have to sign a document that they are not gay?

• La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    As far as I know except for Bethelites, there is not a similar pledge for the average jws. Do elders, COs, DOs, etc., have to sign a document that they are not gay?

No, elders don't have to sign anything. They just ask you whether or not there's anything to prevent you from serving and if you've ever had any history of allegations involving child abuse. I don't know about COs, and DOs, but elders and Ministerial Servants don't have to sign anything.

• therevealer
    therevealer

With witlesses it is more about money. CO's etc. have to sign a "vow of poverty" or some such wording. Basically means they can never come after the society with claims of financial remuneration. Gay they can be until found out and then df'd, LOL

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Wow, that was really impressive. Notice how they said they were still free to think that homosexuality was a sin, but were not on board with the hate? It's progress.

I think there will be a backlash. They will fill those positions with people of a much different ilk, and we can expect the rhetoric to get even more hateful in the classrooms etc. But this may give students some courage too, and it will occur to them to also walk away and seek another college. Whoever is left after this settles will tell us a lot about them.

NC

• james_woods
    james_woods

My cynical side tells me that this may have been done deliberately - just to get rid of the people who objected.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Very possible, James. But it will still make an impact. It's just a shame that the hate will no longer be diluted with reasonable folks. I think they said only 12% of the staff is staying.

There objections were that certain 'sins' were singled out as worse than others, so they are still free to hold their religious views. They just manage to do it without being hateful. Can you imagine being a young gay person stuck in a school like this? Technically the students are free to choose other schools, but with pressure from family, community and churches, I'm sure they end up not really expressing their freedom. This move had to make them feel validated and brave.

NC

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here in Edmonton, a landmark Human Rights case was fought (1991-1998) over the same thing. Delwin Vriend used to be a teacher at King's College (now University).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit