For those that enjoy a good debate. Please remember to separate people from their ideas; remember their humanity.

by JonathanH 27 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

" so they had a one sided fight with their own self !!"

I can't tell you how many times I've seen that happen on this board. Never fails to crack me up.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JonathanH:

Even though this place is relatively civilized as compared to what else is out there, some here degenerate into name calling when somebody posts something that disagrees with them and then the thread ultimately gets locked. This is why I don't post on political threads. Certain people absolutely cannot have anybody disagree with them. The way I see it: everybody is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it is - and this works both ways.

Sometimes, people have an inferiority complex and they can feel "BIG" in the anonymity of their home behind the computer screen. Maybe this person is angry they never got "credit" for being intellectual and they are getting revenge on the world.

Also, the anonymity of the internet makes some people feel they can say anything and maybe cetain immature individuals get some sort of thrill out of insulting a stranger. This makes about as much sense as the teenager who screams from a passing car: "Hey, F#ck you!" when I was out walking alone along a bike path. Nobody else was around. Whatever the reason, the point is that this person has serious issues.

I am glad you posted this but the ones that need it won't read it.

• Dagney
    Dagney

@ JonathanH: Nice. Thank you for posting.

There is nothing wrong with having different opinions, geez, that's what makes the world go around. Not only that, if we let it, we can learn from it. But calling a poster "stupid/idiot/lazy etc." for just posting their own thoughts on a discussion board is disrespectful and plain rude. They are bullies with other issues than a discussion on a DB. It is a frustration and baggage in their own life.

But it is what it is until they decide to behave differently.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

For you Shirley. No I'm not joking, and stop calling me Shirley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeafSiyJ_1A

• N.drew
    N.drew

Liar Liar (1997)

The perfect example of why God permits wickedness. I LOVE that movie. Do you believe stuff like that would ever be if everyone was a saint? No Way!

I love Jim Carrey in it! Is he an atheist?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Thank you for the reminder. I know I engage too much and should often walk away. Faces prob. serve some evolutionary process. I read that we process faces differently from other information.

I also believe that a poster who would drive me bonkers would be a friend if we met in normal life. It was nice to have a reminder. Knowing it and doing it are two different things. The most striking part of the forum is that I left long before the Internet. Talking with JW relatives about any minor matter was out of the question. I supported their beliefs but no support was reciprocated. When I arrived here, I wondered what type of person would discuss JWs all day. There is a unique JW experience, separate from other groups. The YOuTube animations, the parodies. Something concrete must exist for such basic agreement and fun. I wonder what is like for people born after Internet access who take it for granted.

• N.drew
    N.drew
    I supported their beliefs but no support was reciprocated.

I understand this.

It is sad and bewildering.

I hope you are feeling some health is returning to you Band on the Run.

Please know I am your friend. I think you are on the East Coast. Is that so?

I wonder what is like for people born after Internet access who take it for granted.

Even after I became convinced that the Witnesses did not have the truth I was ambivalent about searching the net. But I did and it is not what they warn it is. It is good.

Peace Band on the Run. I am happy you still are posting despite the drugs for your pain. Myself? I am on wine. My kids came up for Mother's Day and did not finish their big bottle of wine. Guess whose finishing it now? OK so some of it I threw in the sauce. Tomato sauce.

• talesin
    talesin

People tend to back off when they know they've met their match.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Yes, That's true, I don't think I'll be having anymore trouble with the person that tried to bait me into that fight a few weeks ago.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Wow JonathanH!

It is posts like this that go a long way toward making JWN a much better place - one where more of us would want to come to and share our particular journey.

Great concept, reasoning and expression!

Thanks for the reminder to think a little further than our own small patch on this very small planet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit