For those that enjoy a good debate. Please remember to separate people from their ideas; remember their humanity.

by JonathanH 27 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Beautiful post. Loved the words surrounding the Pale Blue Dot.

Peace,

tammy

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Thanks for this Johathan, it's a keeper!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Thanks JonathanH for the perspective. Debating is ok, but I prefer dialogue, problem solving, and team work.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• LV101
    LV101

Love your post and the picture. Thanks for sharing.

• scary21
    scary21

I LOVE your post ! Debate is great.......... I have many friends with different opinions and I like it that way. How can you ever learn anything if you only listen to yourself ?

Sherry

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Thanks for the kind words. I try to keep this in mind at all times. In my last English class I was taking for college, there was a gentlemen by the name of Bob. English class if very discussion oriented, and at times debate oriented. I disagreed with Bob on just about everything, not only did I disagree with his world views, his politics, and just about everything else he had to say, the way he went about making his points was incredibly annoying. He talked slow, repeated himself often, and whenever he was about to start one of his longwhinded diatribes he started with one of only a few stock phrases such as "it all comes down to personal responsibility" and then try to find a way to shoe horn that philosophy into whatever discussion we were having, even if it was in no way related. And he did this with force and with gusto and seeing as how he was older than most of the class he did so with authority (in his mind at least.)

Here's the thing though. As annoying as Bob was to have a serious discussion with, during down time when we were waiting before class, or working on a group project, he was funny, congenial, polite, relaxed, he was a great person to sit and chat with. And not only that a student told me that at the end of one of the previous classes, he invited the entire class (professor included) over to his place for a barbecue where he made copious amounts of delicious food for everyone. We got in vociferous arguments in class, but he was always nice to everybody afterwards, and I tried to return that.

We should all try to emulate Bob in that regard. The entire class disagreed with him on most everything, sometimes it almost lead to him just being shouted down by other students (though the professor would mediate so it couldn't get too out of hand), but he was never angry or bitter, never held a grudge, and was always goofy and friendly and polite afterwards.

Discussions get heated, they should get heated, that shows passion. But they should never get cruel or acrimonious. And we should always be in a state of mind afterwards that if it was possible, we could shake hands and buy the other person a drink. If two people don't feel that way after a debate, then they did it wrong.

• Fernando
    Fernando

BTT

• tec
    tec

Discussions get heated, they should get heated, that shows passion. But they should never get cruel or acrimonious. And we should always be in a state of mind afterwards that if it was possible, we could shake hands and buy the other person a drink. If two people don't feel that way after a debate, then they did it wrong.

Well said, once again.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit