Jehovah's Witnesses And The Paranormal

by Cold Steel 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I understand that the Jehovah's Witnesses are paranoid when it comes to the paranormal.

How far do the roots of this paranoia go? Has anyone ever had any personal paranormal experiences or know of anyone who has (first hand)?

And what are some of the more popular stories that get retold in JW circles?

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

Just the stories, the urban legends that go around. Of course in my household...parent fought, we went on a demon hunt....kids rebelling, demon hunt...rooms messy, demon hunt.

Mom would always find something she thought was possessed and it was burned and buried in the back yard. So much crap buried in that back yard haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5n8gOkdWDM

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Did anyone ever SEE a demon??

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

Just do a search on here for "JW Urban Myths." Smurfs, anyone??

Really, they're HORRIBLY paranoid. I honestly don't know a group of people more preoccupied with worries about this stuff. I'm not saying I don't believe in it but if you truly have faith in God why worry all the time?

Where I used to live, in New England, a lof of things were considered pagan/demonized: dream-catchers, wind chimes, those Magic trading cards young boys used to collect, Pokemon, Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings (how??), Yin-yang symbols, peace signs, crosses, Jesus and/or Mary statues, anything Catholic so one would want to avoid their "horribly pagan" churches, totem poles and other Native American items, anything "false-religious" like Buddahs or most Asian stuff, Celtic stuff (I once, as a JW had a silver ring with Celtic knots on it. I had nightmares the night I got it, told my mom about the dream and she went on a witch hut looking for items we bought recently and it was concluded my ring was the source of the bad dream and SHE THREW MY $20 RING AWAY, that I paid for!!), some insane JWs even thought DISNEY stuff was evil! Seriously I was babysitting a little girl and her grandmother was pissed at me for talking about The Hunchback Of Notre Dame movie because it had a Gypsy in it. Seriously!! The list goes on and on and is different depending on where JWs live. Oh, yoga is considered very bad, they had some Awake or WT article about it. I started doing yoga myself and it doesn't bother me. It's just stretching and breathing.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

My study conductor had a thing about stars. Any kind of decorative star was taboo....oh, well, you can see that she was right and I was doomed from the start, using a word like taboo!

Seriously, everything that had a star at all had to be thrown out. Why? because of "Satan's star" that led the Wise Men.

These people, supposedly trusting in Jehovah, see demons and Satan's wicked tricks at every turn.

• dark angle
    dark angle

Believing on a supernatural God requires a corresponding beliefs on Satan and Demons. hehehehhehehe. thats what you get when anyone, including JWs, succumb to superstition.

My wife, will put Watchtower publication and bible on her bed, near her head, to ward off nightmares. hehehhehehe. dreamcatcher of sorts.

JWs by default are paranormal believers.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Being spiritually blind Watchtower religionists take a rather physical approach to demons, such as the idea that one avoids demon trouble mainly by getting rid of objects associated with them.

What escapes their notice is that they are in service of the master of the demons, namely the god of religion, Satan the devil.

This is proven by their militant ignorance of the unabridged "good news" and in terms of 2 Cor 4:4. The demonic cognitive dissonance in their eyes when asked why they as "publishers of the good news" are unable to explain the "good news" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms is quite something to behold.

Their understanding and explanation of the spiritual suit of armour and the fiery/poison arrows/missiles (of Eph 6:11-19) is physical, infantile and laughable.

• poppers
    poppers

Hey blond-moment - If I were your dad your mom would be buried in the backyard for burning his Beatles records.

• designs
    designs

Flying objects and aparitions were part of the JW world, talked about among us and on assembly parts.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

What do you mean paranoid about that? Millions of people in all manner of religious or otherwise testify to having experienced the paranormal or supernatural. What gives you the right to smugly dismiss it as just paranoa?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit