Has anyone ever used a non-NWT (New World Translation) bible at meetings / study?

by biometrics 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

I did; but the conductor did not like me to read from another bible saying it confused people...like they didn't tell people that all bibles were the same, inspired by God. At the KH, I never quoted unless I first attributed it...an elder approached me to complain and I pointed out that the theme scripture of that study article wasn't from the NWT. That took him aback; he hadn't noticed...hadn't noticed the theme scripture!?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    The WTBTS Standards Manual for English Publications (stdm-E, revised in 2005), issues the following: WARNING: The Living Bible, The New Living Translation, and The New Testament [Johannes Greber] should never be quoted in any publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

And yet publications of Jehovah's Witnesses have quoted from these versions in the past whenever it suited their purposes:

*** w74 6/15 p. 357 The Horsemen of the Apocalypse—Their Effect on Our Lives ***

War! But not just ordinary war. Rather, large-scale war seems to be implied, for this rider is given no ordinary sword of war; he is given a “great sword.” For this reason the paraphrase found in The Living Bible is appropriate. It says that this rider was authorized to “banish peace and bring anarchy to the earth; war and killing broke out everywhere.”

*** w76 4/15 p. 231 Insight on the News ***

A report in the Bible, as translated by Johannes Greber, says that when Jesus died, “the earth quaked, and the rocks were shattered. Tombs were laid open, and many bodies of those buried there were tossed upright. In this posture they projected from the graves and were seen by many who passed by the place on their way back to the city.” Hence, rather than a resurrection, as some Bible translations imply, there appears to have been merely an exposure of the dead to observers, as in Guatemala.—Matt. 27:51-53.

*** g02 12/8 p. 10 Being Safety Conscious ***

All involved in air travel can cooperate in minimizing potential safety hazards. Still, authorities warn of ongoing threats. A wise Bible proverb says: “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.” (Proverbs 22:3, New Living Translation)

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

When we were doing Samuel, Kings and Chronicles in the school Bible reading I would bring and make use of a book called "A Synoptic Harmony of Samuel, Kings, and Chronicles. (by James D Newsome Jr) This is similar to gospel harmonies that put the various accounts in parallel columns. A very useful book, by the way. And I especially like Newsome's version. There is no commentary in it. It only has Bible text from the Revised Standard Version.

One sister heard me talk about it and expressed interest in seeing it. When I showed it to her, she only saw the cover and said 'That's OK, I don't know where that comes from.'

• designs
    designs

20lbs. edition of the Jerusalem Bible is pretty good also, great footnotes.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I recall when the Society started printing Byington's "The Living Bible" that often brothers would read a scripture or two from it when giving public talks.

Rub a Dub

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Leolaia said:

"And yet publications of Jehovah's Witnesses have quoted from these versions in the past whenever it suited their purposes"

Leo: I think in this case is because the publishers of The Living Bible and the New Living Translation may have requested not to be quoted by the WT. I can't think of any other reason. Do you?

I'm sure you know about the Johannes Grebber scandals and the WTS, which in my opinion, has been overblown.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Back when we had circuit assemblies at high schools, we had a book stand where we could buy various translations of the Bible--Moffats, The Bible in Living English, Douay, etc. Almost all the Bibles I have on my bookshelf were purchased at circuit assemblies--but that was back in the 60's, maybe early 70's. When I started going in field service in 1956, we didn't even have a complete New World Translation so we usually used the American Standard Version (sometimes King James). We liked the American Standard because it used the name "Jehovah" in the Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures).

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I used to occasionally bring different translations to the Book Study. It was no big deal, in fact, some of the people there were interested in the comparative readings. I would use Byington's translation and the Amplified Bible that I recall specifically, but I think there were others at times, too.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have family members who regularly use another translation at the meetings , says it helps to see it slightly different. Nobody has said anything

• Robert7
    Robert7

The NWT has been modified to meet their doctrine. Below is a link to a great example I found that sealed the deal for me. The whole "The wages sin pays is death". Most translations say "the wages of sin is death". WT: "Your death covers your sins" most others: "you die because you sin". Very different meaning and has huge ramifications for many core JW doctrines.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/193629/1/Found-another-NWT-lie-Romans-6-23-Wages-sin-pays-is-death

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit