Has anyone ever used a non-NWT (New World Translation) bible at meetings / study?

by biometrics 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• biometrics
    biometrics

About 1 year ago (before I faded), I purchased an old King James bible from EBay and started using it in the meetings and when a brother came over to study with me.

A common reaction of fellow JWs was to stare at the bible, then say "What type of bible is that?", then they'd sometimes ask to look at it, and flip to John 1:1. When they saw what it said, they'd treat it like it was apostate material, even though a few decades earler it was the same bible JWs used.

I strongly encourage any lurkers/faders to use another bible at the meetings and see what type of reactions you get.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Yes, I have. For many months I used a Jerusalem Bible at meetings and during study sessions. I was merely a new inquirer, or, to use the jargon, an "interested one".

It was received with what seemed then like tolerant interest. Now I know better. Really, they just saw my refusal to use the NWT as further confirmation of my un-meek attitude.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Using another Bible was never a problem, we had brothers doing parts with the "King James", "The Living Translation" "American Standard" and a plethora of other translations. Never did any brother attempt to disuade anyone from using other translations in Field Service, or parts during the Theocratic Ministry School. This is a non issue, I don't like Bible translatations that hide (YHWH) from them, if you can translate "Joshua and Jesus" into English, you can translate God's name too!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I used to carry 3-4 different translations for meetings and field service. Most of the time it was so people wouldn't say, we had our own bible

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

We didn't have the NWT for most of the time I was dragged down to their church for indoctrination sessions

• designs
    designs

I used the James Moffatt Translation for many years.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

The WTBTS Standards Manual for English Publications (stdm-E, revised in 2005), issues the following:

WARNING: The Living Bible, The New Living Translation, and The New Testament [Johannes Greber] should never be quoted in any publications of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

@wha happen "I loved to work with this wild brother, he carried the "Eight In One Translation" (Ten Pound Bible). Why, "Bigger is better?"

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

On occassion I'll use the old school WTS-published Greek Interlinear Translation.

It's fairly amusing to see how people react to it. It's often met with deep suspicion. "Why wouldn't you want to use your NWT?" "What's your goal in using that translation?"

When I remind them it was published by the WTS, it's written all over their faces how conflicted they are.

(It's also fun to lean over to the person next to me at the meeting, point and say: "Hey wait a minute, it says 'Jehovah' in this verse, but in this other verse it's translated 'Lord'...and in this verse too...and this one. I'm confused because, see, it's the same Greek word. I wonder why they did that??")

• Dagney
    Dagney

designs' wife got me into the New Jerusalem Bible a couple years before I left. I took it to all the meetings and pretty much used it exclusively through the two years before I left the org. I learned a lot more than I ever did at the hall by reading the footnotes in that Bible. I got at least two others to do the same, one is still in the other is out.

If I was to like a Bible, that would be the one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit