Has anyone ever used a non-NWT (New World Translation) bible at meetings / study?

by biometrics 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

We carried another Bible with us when we went out to Los Campos (“the field”) since rural people were more inclined to accept a non-JW Bible. Unfortunately the only one we had was a poor Spanish translation of a modern American Bible. It sounded as clunky in Spanish as the NWT if you can believe that! My God, this brings me back some poor memories. I hope I never have to do that again.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Wonderment....Yeah I know that, I was just pointing out that these versions/paraphrases are quoted in the WT Library. I think the LB may be verbotten because of its strong evangelistic bias, but also it is a paraphrase and the NLT (originally conceived as a revision of the LB) is a thought-for-thought translation. The August 15, 1979 Watchtower considered thought-for-thought translations and paraphrases to have "hidden dangers" and criticized the LB for, among other things, including a positive reference to birthdays in the Bible (pp. 13-16). Other articles are critical of its favorable view of the afterlife (March 15, 1982 Watchtower, p. 24) and trinitarian slant (December 1, 1983 Watchtower, p. 17). It still was quoted quite often in the 70s and 80s however.

Robert7....The NWT is definitely less literal here than in other translations but the thought in both is the same: thanatos is what harmatia (personified as a slavemaster) doles out as its wages (opsònia). The problem lies in the Society's interpretation of the chapter: they misread it as meaning that death absolves one's sinful deeds, when it really says that death releases one's debt to sin (construing sin as a slavemaster). This confuses one's debt to sin with one's debt to God -- these are very different things to Paul.

• zeb
    zeb

I took a NIV ( A Gideons bible) out once. Hmm not appreciated..

• zeb
    zeb

Has anyone looked at the jw.org site? It is as stiff as a plank. A bit like the wts itself. and of course there is no.. 'contact us' is there.

I left off going to the hal many months ago having learned of the sexual abuse of our offspring when they were younger by a brother and then discovering the world wide cover ups of such abominations.

My spouse goes to the hall is more dedicated than ever. then how is it she is so cranky so miserbale especially after conventions all the time.?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I have - on the platform too.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BIOMETRICS:

Years ago before the religion came out with pocket-sized versions of their bible, I purchased a small copy of the King James version. I didn't like lugging around the bigger size version of the NWT. I wanted to travel light. Anyway, one Sunday at the meeting a woman in the hall asked me why I was using a King James version instead of the NWT. I told her why. She criticized me and said I should not be using it.

I was made to feel I was being "disloyal". I figured if they supposedly said the same thing (except for a few thees and thines) what difference does it make. I suppose this just added to the other things I was criticized about!

• trebor
    trebor

Love the whole "Johannes Greber" avoidance:

"The Watchtower Society knew that Johannes Greber was influenced by and made use of the occult as early as February 1956, but still continued using his Bible translation and writings regardless, even as late as April 1976. They tried to give the appearance of ignorance to the facts prior by the 1983 Watchtower referencing a source from 1980.

To summarize, the Watchtower Society used a source with strong ties to the occult to support their teachings and doctrines for years – Up to 20 years after having knowledge of the fact. When trying to explain such actions they ignored their own well-documented history of the matter. That is both a cover-up and deceitful."

http://savedfromthewatchtower.blogspot.com/2008/11/influence-of-johannes-greber.html

• James Brown
    James Brown

Has anyone ever used a non-NWT (New World Translation) bible at meetings / study

Yes I did for the first 10 years of my indoctrination.

I remember carrying a catholic douay bible.

And an american standard version.

I was under 10 years old.

The catholic bible had extra books in it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit