LDS (Mormon) wheelers and dealers coming over tonight at 7 PST. What would you ask them?

by sabastious 47 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

Would Romney be excommunicated if he came out in support of Equal Rights for gay marriages.

• moshe
    moshe

Can you show me your magic underwear?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

How do the explain the conflict between DNA studies and the BOM and the Doctrine of the Covenants claim that the Native Americans are actually Lamanites?

http://www.godandscience.org/cults/dna.html

The Book of Mormon claims that the Native American populations are descended from the Lamanites, who lived in ancient Israel 2,600 years ago. This concept is stated several times throughout the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants (both of which are part of the “standard works” that makeup the body of LDS scripture):

The studies cited above represent only a fraction of those that have been done on the origin of Native American populations. The number of studies and the diversity of techniques used to examine the origin of Native Americans provide overwhelming support that the ancestors of the Native Americans came from Asia.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    2. How did Greek words coined after Alexander's conquest of Israel get into the BOM?
    3. Why does the BOM contain direct translations of Greek idioms like, 'Verily verily I say unto you"?

The BOM I last saw had dates written on each page to show when it was supposedly written.

One page - supposedly from old testament days had the word "baptism" inserted into King James Bible English.

Not a word used in the Hebrew scriptures anywhere.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Hey JWN, the conversation was almost 2 hours and was a fun experience for everyone involved. I didn't get in all the questions, but I will try to paraphrase their answers as best I can for the ones we got to:

If a youth decides to leave the LDS, are they still accepted by the church, or is there an excommunication process?

They said that they would still be loved by their families. I took some time to describe some stories where my family told me they "loved" me as they told me I was shunned for life. They said that there is always going to be resentment from a social aspect because of human folly, but that it's not encouraged to shun defectors and families are encouraged to support them and not cut them off. They did seem to turn white when I told them a few stories of mine and they assured me that their organization is not at all like that. I'm not sure I would just take their word for it, but they seemed genuine.

Why do youths as young as 18 years old, introduce themselves as "Elders" when performing their ministry? What are the qualifications for having the title of elder?

They said that it's just a title that is given to males in their missionary service. Men that go through the process to become missionaries are called Elders and women are called Sisters.

Do Joseph Smith's writings supersede the Bible?

They said they look at the BOM and the Bible as complimentary to each other. This idea seems to take up a large part of their ministerial content.

Ask them ,if they really believe all the Church teachings ,and what would happen if they didn't any more ?

They joked that if they didn't believe it anymore that they would quit the missionary work because it's a financial burden on them and is a hard life. They also mentioned a friend of theirs who quit and they said they had no ill towards him.

Where exactly is the planet Kolob from which God allegedly comes?

This question seemed to offend them a bit and they chuckled at it. They said that that claim comes from a book called Pearl of Great Price and didn't want to talk about it much. They seemed unprepared for the question.

In the Mormon view, is the Holy Spirit one of the Father's children? If not, where did the Spirit come from? If everyone gets a body to develop to the next level, will the Holy Spirit get a body eventually and be glorified? If so, and everyone goes through testing, will the Holy Spirit be tested as a human?

They said this it was a legitimate question and that they didn't know the answer to it. It seemed like they were saying that the church itself didn't have an answer not just them. But they gave a head nod to the question they seemed to accept it.

Are they wearing their magic underwear?

They said "Yes, and it's not magic underwear. It's a personal faith thing." Not an exact quote.

Can mormon drink caffein?

They said that they believe that what Joseph Smith wrote down is the word of God and that he wrote down not to drink cofee specifically. They said it's a myth that they don't drink caffein and they both shared their favorite caffinated drinks with me. Apparently it's just ixnay on the offeecay.

Why is the BOM 'translated' into Jamesian English?

They said they didn't know what Jamesian English was, but they said it sounded cool and they'd like to hear more about it.

How did Greek words coined after Alexander's conquest of Israel get into the BOM?

They said those words were utilized by God for a purpose.

All civilizations that produce durable objects leave artifacts behind. Tile alone is almost indestructable. What happened to the durable objects depicted in this painting?

They said that the painting was merely an artist's depiction of the events and said that there is no proof that the American Israelites used tile in their architecture. They gave a few examples of ancient American artifacts with the ten commandments on them and such.

That's all I can remember for now, but the ones I didn't get to I can ask them next week when they return. It was an enjoyable experience and I am trying to make the best of it by instructing them about the ways of my ex group and they seem to insist they are different. Only time will tell, but one thing is for sure, they are very ignorant to what goes on behind the Kingdom Hall walls.

-Sab

• undercover
    undercover

Now that you've had your first study, would you consider studying more and visiting the tabernacle for further education into the one true religion as enlightened to Joseph Smith?

• designs
    designs

BOM is a quick read and worth it if you like learning about other religions. Before my mother got reactivated as a JW, 1959, we had LDS over to the house for several meetings. Our family MD was related to Gordon Hinkley and he was always pushing to get us interested.

• talesin
    talesin

Nice work, and thanx for the reporting back.

The missionary life comment was a little evasive, I think, because it is a 2-year stint. My personal experience (limited, yes) would confirm that they do not shun like the JWs (at least, not the 'average' Mormon family). I do think that one would be looked down upon, as is my friend who is the son-of-an-SDA family. The caffeine thing is a big surprise, though.

Apparently it's just ixnay on the offeecay.

Thanks for the chuckle, too.

t

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Do you beleive in polygamy in the afterlife? Who is on your afterlife spouse list? What are their names, and have you registered them with your church?

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I grew up in SLC, Utah. Half of my extended family are LDS. The other half are JWs. The Mormon side are "Super Mormons". My great 4X Grandfather was John Taylor-3rd President of the Mormon Church.

One question you should have asked them is "why do Mormons believe that people with dark skin (anyone other than caucasian) are considered "cursed"?"

It used to be that Mormons were not allowed to consume caffeine in any form. One day, there was a "revelation" (very similar to New Light) that Coke was OK to drink. The reality is that the Church had just become the major shareholder in Coca-Cola. True story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit