3.5 years vs. a lifetime of going door to door.

by tootired2care 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

There is a difference between "storing up" treasures and having the necessities on hand to live on when should one become unable to provide for oneself due to illness or old age. Having several fine houses filled with antiques might be thought of as storing up treasures. Having a retirement account available to live off of when one is 80 is another story. To me Jesus was saying not to count on these things as a solution to the big picture issues and not to get so caught up in obtaining the necessities so as to loose sight of our spiritual needs or obligations.

As usual, there are those who take something that was intended as a reminder to be balanced and they go overboard with it. Despite all the evidence around them that we need to be prepared to care for ourselves, they'd have you throw all common sense aside and have you live by the seat of your pants without a back up plan other than hoping God will solve any problem that comes along.

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

It stands to reason at least to me...if it was so important to know what God wanted from us he should/would-of let it be know without guessing!

• Since our lives (supposedly) depend on knowing this--then He has failed or has He...?
    • It's not loving to let humans suffer...-nothing is being proven to me to allow this to continue.
    • It doesn't bring me closer to a god that has the power to bring an end to this but does not!
    • And 3.5 years versus a lifetime does not add up!!! and besides Jesus was perfect...we are not so I quit comparing myself or anyone else to this (his) standard.

Sw

• tec
    tec

I believe someone brought out a good point about the 3.5 years... and this is that Christ was tortured and killed at the end of those 3.5 years. Just sayin', in case anyone thinks that he was copping out and asking more of his followers than he did of himself.

He still continues via Spirit to this day, anyway.

Peace,

tammy

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

• TEC: Just sayin', in case anyone thinks that he was copping out and asking more of his followers than he did of himself.
    • Again Jesus was Perfect!!! am I missing something here?
    • He also knew: WHO HE WAS BEFORE HIS EARTHLY LIFE: Like His heavenly life and He lived for a time in heaven that we humans would consider for the most part already lived FOREVER.
    • He also knew:WHY HE WAS HERE AND WHAT HE was WILLING / GOING TO DO. It was no surprise to him.
    • So for me if you are A God or God Like and are aware of everything then it would be just a matter of going through the required motion. Not to diminish what transpired but just stating reality --- it is what it is.
    • I do believe all of his followers who knew him in the flesh gave their lives for Him and are dead.
    • Again Jesus was perfect and knew everything--- give me the same and watch what i can do!!! until then don't judge anyone or expect them to do the same as what Jesus did... or for that matter even close to what he could do.

Sw

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

What really gets me is just the sheer uncertainty of it all, which Jesus didn't have to deal with as sayswho brought out. The bible is in essense asking us to throw it all on the line, but those that do, never really receive any unmistakable confirmations after doing it decade after decade.

2 Pet 3:11-16

11 Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of persons ought YOU to be in holy acts of conduct and deeds of godly devotion, 12 awaiting and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah, through which [the] heavens being on fire will be dissolved and [the] elements being intensely hot will melt! 13 But there are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting according to his promise, and in these righteousness is to dwell.
    14 Hence, beloved ones, since YOU are awaiting these things, do YOUR utmost to be found finally by him spotless and unblemished and in peace. 15 Furthermore, consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul according to the wisdom given him also wrote YOU, 16 speaking about these things as he does also in all [his] letters. In them, however, are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unsteady are twisting, as [they do] also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

How is anyone supposed to have peace, when the bible holds a gun to your head and there is so much uncertainty, and God never provides unmistakable confirmation/validation for your work? To me this is just cruel.

• tec
    tec

Jesus did not want to die. (give his life to save others, yes, because He came to serve and to save and to give life) But certainly not in the manner that He did die - humiliation, pain, torment, torture. He also asked that the cup be taken from Him if it were possible... meaning He did not know if it were possible or not. Only His Father knew. So He did not know everything. I do not think that He had some sort of feeling like this life was a fleeting moment in his eternity. I think there is far more to it than that.

until then don't judge anyone or expect them to do the same as what Jesus did... or for that matter even close to what he could do.

I did not judge anyone for anything. I could not do what Christ did... nor even come close. He knows that. That is why He did it FOR us. (no gun to our heads either... He did for us what we could not do for ourselves or for others)

Peace,

tammy

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

You know what tec, some times I think I would have preferred being crucified over going door-to-door.

I remember the brothers and sisters used to say "Even if you are tired and it's a hot day out, you feel so much better after you finish a day in service". I think it was more along the lines of we finally felt relief that the torture was over.

• tec
    tec

You know what tec, some times I think I would have preferred being crucified over going door-to-door.

I hear you.

Probably especially if you're an strong introvert.

God does not ask the same thing (conformity) of people though. Other than that we love one another, and that we follow the golden rule. Each person has different strengths/gifts.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit