3.5 years vs. a lifetime of going door to door.

by tootired2care 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Did it bug you as a witness that Jesus only had to go from door to door for 3.5 years, and he was done; while he demanded that you do it for your whole life without preparing for the morrow? I just remember a few years back reflecting on the daunting prospect of doing it my whole life if the end didn't come - "sooner rather than later". What are your thoughts?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

What bothered me about the whole "ministry" topic, (after I had begun to question things of course) was that the GB is sitting on mountains of ca$h, which could be used to truly inform the world of their message.

They could create TV and radio stations worldwide, and really reach the masses, if they truly wanted their brand of Christianity preached.

But deep down they don't, because they are a corporation at heart.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Jesus never went door to door.

Edit: Didn't want it to come off as rude, just pointing out how ridiculous the door-to-door ministry is.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

MrFreeze -

Im not so sure about that.

Acts 5:41-42 NIV

The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. 42 Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Messiah.

The apostles carried on the ministry the way they were taught from Jesus unless I'm missing something.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Well the idea of what was meant by house-to-house in that scripture is still a matter of debate but regardless there was no specific mention of Jesus participating in a door-to-door ministry.

My opinion (which could definitely be wrong) is that he sent the apostles out in twos and they went to public places and preached. Then if they got into a good discussion, the person/people they were talking to probably invited them back to their home to show the godly men hospitality and to offer them a place to stay for the night. To me, that seems like the most logical. I don't know, the idea of apostles goint to each house and taking not-at-home records seems a bit bizarre to me.

• tec
    tec

They did gather, house to house. People came to the houses of whoever hosted to listen. Paul made that clear, I think.

There was never a door to door thing. No evidence of anything like that. But gatherings from house to house is mentioned. I'll look those up for you if you like?

As for the JW stance, if Christ is speaking to everyone about the preaching work, then he must also have been speaking to everyone about 'partaking of his flesh and blood'. They cannot have it both ways. Though there are more ways than one to witness to Christ.

Peace,

tammy

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

TEC - Consider the context and content of the scripture - teaching and proclaiming the good news. The passage is not talking about gatherings. The evidence is plain - it's in writting in that passage nonetheless. Just because you say it isn't so, doesn't make it so. I think you might do well attending some JW meetings for some better bible education.

• dyakoub
    dyakoub

@ Mr. Freeze- Please don't assume in the negative. What do you know? Perhaps he entered someone's house through the fromt door and after he ate, taught, slept he exited throught the back, thus completeing his door-to-door ministry.

• pontoon
    pontoon

There has to be more to it because they absolutely would not have gone to the door of a gentile, so they must have known whose (Jews) houses they were going to. And don't forget, after Jesus's 3.5 years he had to did a horrible death.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Cornelius was the first gentile Christian, so after he came in, and was accepted, would it make sense that they wouldn't talk to gentiles at their door? Of course not!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit