3.5 years vs. a lifetime of going door to door.

by tootired2care 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pontoon
    pontoon

Years after Cornelius the gentiles were still not preached to. It wasn't until Paul began preaching and began to establish congregations and convinced the converted Jews in Jerusalem that gentiles could be accepted that the gentiles were. That was when even Peter had to give in to Paul's argument that if God considered them clean how could they not? Been a long time, can't tell you where to find it in the bible, but it's there.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Man this one drifted off topic.

LG - Thanks for staying on topic, I agree it makes me mad that they just didn't care about the cost, and diminished joy on our end having to go in door to door service all those years.

• tec
    tec

I think you might do well attending some JW meetings for some better bible education.

The 'bible education' leads them to shun, to their blood policy, to their constant flip-flops, to their hypocrisy, to their completely unbiblical stance on the memorial and on field service, and their focus on completely arbitrary rules; and their lack of focus on feeding and clothing and housing the poor, etc, etc?

No thank you :)

Consider these verses in Luke 10:

After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go...

"When you enter a house, first say, 'Peace to this house.' If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; if not, it will return to you. Stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house."

Acts2: 46

Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily.

There are accounts describing gatherings in homes. Also describing preaching in the temple courts. Cornelius in Acts 10 sought Peter out and invited him to his home to hear what He had to say. Peter went because the Holy Spirit directed him to go... he would not have gone otherwise because the man was a gentile (as pontoon pointed out, they would not have gone door to door because they would not have gone into the home of a gentile before this moment)

But there are no accounts describing the door to door ministry... things that happened, who might have welcomed them, who might have 'slammed the door in their faces.'

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Cornelius was the first gentile Christian, so after he came in, and was accepted, would it make sense that they wouldn't talk to gentiles at their door? Of course not!
    Ex cept that the verse you are using to show that they did go door to door came before Cornelius. So that verse cannot mean this.

Peace,

tammy

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

TEC - none of what you just said refutes that they did go from house to house preaching. Certainly they did go into peoples homes for hospitality too, that is not in dispute. There are also many possibilities for the subjective statment of Jesus Do not move around from house to house, It seems from the context he was referring to lodging protocols with that.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I think this is on topic. This is what I think of a lifetime of door-to-door ministry. I don't think the practice JW's engage in is scriptural. I think it was the best means of converting people when JW's started preaching.

It's clearly no longer practical. How many hours do JW's waste each year knocking on empty houses? When you have TV/Radio/Internet, they are still knocking on people's doors with a message so important in means their life. It's absolutely absurd. I'm glad I'm not wasting my time on it anymore. I have better things to do... like collect, categorize, and sort my stool samples. It's probably just as effective at converting people to the JW faith.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Your right Mr Freeze, with all the better methods they have now it is a cruel and absurd thing to force their members to do. But that's what happens when you try to follow past examples too literally.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I couldn't imagine a lifetime of going from door to door or sitting through the theocratic ministry school for the rest of my life learning how to do it. Toward the end, I thought I'd loose my mind if I had to sit through one more Watchtower study as they plodded along trying to make some point that was obvious 6 paragraphs ago.

I never liked the fact that you had to put your name on the field service time slip or that you'd be counted "irregular" for six months if you didn't turn in any time one month as if that was some shameful thing.

Maybe the Mormons are onto something witht their 2 year missions.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

If Jesus and his disciples actually went door to door like the jdubs do today, they wouldn't have had ti me to travel to other areas to accomplish the little that they did. Jesus would have to record all those not at homes and turn in the slips to the Sanhedrin,so they would get credit for preaching. Because you know God reviews all those time slips to determine who goes to heaven or hell.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

There is no 'from house to house'. This is the invention of the paranoic GB.

The Bible reads: ' in house '

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit