3.5 years vs. a lifetime of going door to door.

by tootired2care 57 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

The scripture I quoted above is from the NIV bible (which is unbiased) not the NWT, but I agree with you that it is a modern day re-instituting of what the 1 century cong did according to Acts 5:42, rather than an inventiontion which would imply they came up with it on their own.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

when I was studying, I asked how many people in the hall came in from a door knock. The elder said none. I was shocked, and then took another swig of the kool aid

• BroMac
    BroMac

i asked that once and the reply i got was "how many came into the Ark?"

• BroMac
    BroMac

i just cant see the apostles and first century christians going from door to door. they taught in the market place and in the synagogues. also they would have gone house to house as thats where the first century christians had where meetings. "do not forsake the gathering". does that scripture say only in one building or place. they would have met from house to house both teaching and declarig the good news.

i imagine the apostles inviting interested ones along to the local congregations home for further discussions.

if the apodtles were here today do you think you wouk

• BroMac
    BroMac

if the apostles were here today do you think you would see them going door to door? or would thy veiw it like it was a waste of time and not care that it wa a ™ ?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And the constant "emergency". Are people supposed to live as if there was an emergency at all times? Seems this rubbish has been the case among the Jews right from Abraham, continuing through Christi-SCAM-ity with its insistence that the end is at hand. Most of the pagan religions, particularly the ones unpolluted with Christi-SCAM-ity, do not have perennial emergencies but work on developing the soul. That way, you get actual benefits without having to forever worry about salvation at some imminent judgment day.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

tootired2care:

You definitely have a point. If the JWs supposedly had a "lifesaving" or emergency message for the world, they would use the media and not the slow-poke method of going door-to-door.

In my opinion, the door-to-door work is just a visual yardstick by which to judge how "faithful" the average JW is. In other words, it is a control mechanism pure and simple.

• LostGeneration
  • Giordano
    Giordano

I think it's creepy that the WTBTS sit's on all of their real estate money and doesn't spend a dime on tv and radio shows ....the proven way to reach millions around the world. Stop counting time.....buy time and deliver your message.......jerks.

I can encourage them to deliver their message because it sucks big time.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was reading Crossan's book about Paul and the Roman Empire. The Society always made much of Paul's tent making. He said the ministry was not likely to be door to door. Tentmaking allowed Paul to seek out converts among his clients. He could carry on a normal business conversation and over time, shift to Jesus. He would have encountered many people this way. Paul was highly educated. He could have earned more money being a tutor or scribe.

One on one is not efficient. I am certain also that the apostles frequented markets and segments of society likely to be responsive to their message. Crossan or Ehrman reported that Christianity never had a sudden influx of newcomers. Rather, there was a slow and steady climb as family members and close friends of converts investigated and decided to join the movement.

Jesus sought out very public occasions. Imagine how many people you are exposed to during commuting hour in a large city's bus and train terminals as opposed to door to door. I know from personal experience, running the gauntlet of religions in a terminal, that I am much more open to talking with them in public as opposed to an intrusion of my privacy at home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit