A Brother Died At Bethel

by MrFreeze 65 Replies latest jw friends

• jemba
    jemba

So sorry to hear this far too often repeated story.

I personally knew 4 witnesses who suicided and a few others that didnt succeed. The latest was a sister with 6 kids facing a JC. Not only do the elders not have the skills to deal with people so depressed they often cause more anxiety. Way too much stress in that organisation.

Hopefully for the family it wasnt suicide. 23 is so young.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Any bethelite whom served the past 5/6 years remembers Gerritt Loesch's morning worship when he mentioned over 40% of those in special full-time service (Bethel, missionary, CO, DO) were on antidepressants, such as prozac.

over 40%!!!

serious phenomena affecting many, but throw the tight reins, multiplies it

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

was raised with Walkill bethelites in my congregation. My brother that doesn't talk to me now was there for 14 years..... I'm sorry to hear this hope you are OK

FS

• biometrics
    biometrics
    I doubt suicide as they are having a Memorial for him. Last I checked they won't have memorials for suicide victims

I know of one elder's son who committed suicide and received a memorial at the hall. So it mustn't be a strict rule.

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence and statistics suggesting that Jehovah's Witnesses have a higher suicide rate than the general population, along with higher rates of depression and anxiety. So I think it depends on the circumstances and the victim's standing as a Jehovah's Witness at the time of death.

Does anyone know for sure whether there is a Jehovah's Witness rule to not host suicide victim memorials?

• Silent_Scream
    Silent_Scream

Depends on community. Up to body of elders discretion as to how the cong/neighbours would view it.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Not a rule anymore provided the person had mental problems.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

This thread raises a good question: What if one of your loved ones commits suicide? How do you think your loving elders will handle it?

Among the distasteful points WT Mother brought out in this article about suicide and how the elders should handle it-notice how big a role appearances plays into it:

Questions From Readers

If someone commits suicide, would it be advisable for a Christian minister to give the funeral talk?

'There is one more aspect to consider: How do people in the community view suicide and the death of the person? This is especially of concern to the elders, who are interested in the reputation of the local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Depending on the general attitude toward suicide in the locality, and particularly toward the case involved, the elders may prefer not to sponsor such a funeral publicly or to have it in the Kingdom Hall (W 6/15/02 pg 30).'

• iceguy
    iceguy

My Cousins husband committed suicide and they had the funeral talk at the Kingdom Hall.

• biometrics
    biometrics
    Not a rule anymore provided the person had mental problems.

Most people who commit suicide do have mental problems, even if they don't outwardly show it.

The only exceptions I see is if they're high on recreational drugs, or have some shameful experience (e.g. it was discovered they were a pedophile) where they view suicide as a better alternative to living.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

MrFreeze,I'm sending you a pm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit