A Brother Died At Bethel

by MrFreeze 65 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

This is very sad news, I can't imagine what a shock it must have been for his family.

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

It is hideous to think how this religion claims the lives of a lot of people because of the collective guilt mentality. It is possible that this person had some depression but what if he did not want to face the music that is a "judicial committee" or getting sent home for something that is a very normal part of growing up.

I do want to express my sincere condolences to you for the loss of your friend but it positively infuriates me that this is what this religion may drive a person to do just because of some errant bible interpretation.

MTM

• ziddina
    ziddina

I'm very sorry to hear of this, Mr. Freeze...

• talesin
    talesin

We have a couple of bridges here ... there are over 40 deaths each year b/c of suicide. Unless the family speaks out, and even then, they have to badger the press, it is covered up.

Society does not like suicide. Let's not pretend.

The death of this young man is a tragedy... gosh, I'm so sorry for your loss, and to all who knew him. If he did suicide, it should be public ... I am truly sick of us ignoring this stuff.

And yes, this is personal. A friend suicided 7 years ago on April 1, and I was not happy it was covered up He wanted to make a statement about how he had been screwed over (and yes, I have to live with the guilt that he told me beforehand), and his family was too ashamed to tell the truth. It sickens me that we need to 'pretend' about this issue,,, yes it IS SHAMEFUL that we let people get so down,,, are we responsible on a personal level? That is not the way to go --- as a SOCIETY,,, as a CULTURE,,, we need to HELP people, instead of just saying "Oh, well, life has been hard on them, and they will get by". REALLY?

tal

• talesin
    talesin

How many people do YOU know who are suffering alone? Who are sick? Who are alone?

And if they suicide, you will say "well, I didn't know s/he was that depressed"..... did you do anything to help them? Do you REALLY care, until they kill themselves?

t

• nugget
    nugget

So sorry, at 23 he had hardly begun his life. Poor boy.

• loosie
    loosie

so sorry to hear about your friend.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

@pontoon Not sure which congregation he was assigned to. I haven't seen him in a couple years since before I left the JW's. He was originally from Southwestern PA though.

@cofty Yeah that's the thing that gets me the most. Gotta be horrible for the family. They were very proud of him serving at Bethel and to get horrible news like this. I just don't even want to imagine how they are feeling.

@talesin It is a problem. I wonder how often something like this happens. Well we won't know for sure about cause of death until later this week. I'll be sure to let you all know.

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

I think the "policy" of whether or not a memorial for a death by suicide is a regional thing. I have lived in several different areas of Canada and each congregation was different.

Moncton in the 80's a brother committed suicide and I was told to not even say his name, it was considered so shameful. Calgary in the 90's, the talk at the funeral (in a kingdom hall) was all about throwing our burdens upon Jehovah ( gag me).

This is much the same about the memorial every Nissan 14. The congregation in Fredericton was very old school. My mother wouldn't let us listen to music or watch tv that day. The next year we moved to Halifax and I remember my mother being horrified when we were invited back to another family's house for coffee and tea.

Nothing changes the fact that a young man is dead. Makes you want to reach out and hug your loved ones.

Bobbi

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Usually when the cause of death is suicide everyone tries to keep it under cover because no one knows how everyonelse is going to react to the news. We had 2 suicides in the neighbouring congregation, a young man in his early 20's and a pioneer girl in her late 20's. Both had a talk at the KHall. Back home one of my best friends committed suicide 5 years ago. There was also a talk. In all cases they blamed it on depression and they were victims of Satan's world. I am very sad the see such desperation in young ones especially those who appear to be really happy in the congregation...that's what happens when you're taught to keep your doubts and negative feelings to yourself. If you confide in someone the solution always lies in doing more in service, praying more, waiting on Jehovah and hanging in there because the new system is sooooo close.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit