"some were led to believe that the end would come in 1975"

by Sour Grapes 69 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• heathen
    heathen

I even remember some tooling around with it like it happened invisibly again because the gays were coming out the closet so the world had morally ended and the invisible moral spiritual paradise had been created . I think it's sad that people went and sold their homes and buisnesses to give money to the tower or to use as grub steak for pioneering . The GC were not instructed to sell everything they own, that was the LF . I'm of the opinion that whenever the babylonian harlot is destroyed WTBTS style it will signal the final chain of events for the end and prove the WTBTS was able to get at least one thing right or so but they are showing a lack of integrety with their involvement with the UN as NGO and backing off the condemnation of babylon because it's against the charter mandate to defame other NGOs . They totally did jump the gun in 75.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Hi Leo,

That is classic Watchtower, the ability to spin one thing into something totally different.

Enjoy, Len.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

I was THERE at the Montreal convention 1967 and THERE fall 1975 for the 'fallout'

The 'How long did it take Adam to name the animals' was the 'armageddon addendum' that strung us along for another 3 f**king years

Google -Adam and eve gap OR how long did it take for Adam to name the animals?

"At the factory, when we started making the 1975 Yearbook of Jehovah’s Witnesses, we joked that its army-green cover was actually “Armageddon green.” The Bethel family first heard Vice President Fred Franz’s explanation of the “Adam and Eve” gap in March of 1975 at a lecture he gave for the graduation ceremonies for the Gilead missionary school . His lecture incorporated the points he had made earlier in his global tour mentioned above. As much as I believed in the 6,000 year chronology we then espoused, I thought Fred Franz’s lecture was “over the top.” He pinpointed September 5, 1975 as the exact end of the 6,000 years from Adam’s creation.

I thought of all the uncertainties there had to be to begin with in biblical chronology, let alone determining the exact date of Adam’s creation. I remember I had laughed when I first heard of how Anglican Archbishop Ussher had determined that Adam was created on a Sunday, the early evening preceding October 23, 4004 BC. Here, Fred Franz was trying to do the same thing but using his chronology. At least he wasn’t specific about the time of day! There were other Bethelites similarly troubled. A good friend of mine, borrowing from a line in the song “Maria” from The Sound of Music quipped: “Freddy makes me laugh.” The May 1, 1975 Watchtower reported on Fred Franz’s lecture:

• James Brown
    James Brown

I remember about 73, my grandfather told me I was wasting my time with those magazine salesmen.

He said they had a history of false predictions about the world ending.

I couldnt believe him, I thought he was from the devil and here he was an angel of God warning me,

and I wouldnt listen.

In 1973, I had never heard of any failed prophecies, that was before the information age.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    As much as I believed in the 6,000 year chronology we then espoused, I thought Fred Franz’s lecture was “over the top.”

Wasn't that the same lecture in which he made reference to bestiality? With reference to the time gap between Adam's creation and Eve's creation, and Adam being all alone in the garden with those animals....and he actually used the "bestiality" word to indicate what Adam surely would NOT have done in all that time living in a garden full of animals...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Last week a young elder giving the public talk made the statement that "some were led to believe that the end would come in 1975, but aren't we so thankful that did not happen?"

A young elder ? I have not seen one of those for years! The speakers around here are all older men - literally.

This guy no doubt is glad that it did not happen then, he has had the benefit of an education and enjoys a computer and an iphone and all the the things "incidental to youth" Perhaps he really does not know but the comments on this board about that time are one hundred percent accurate , whereas his comments are intended to deceive ....

I wonder if his outline had this reference

Aw 95 6/22 p9

"More recently, many Witnesses conjectured that events associated with the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign might start to take place in 1975. Their anticipation was based on the understanding that the seventh millennium of human history would begin then."

Conjecture , eh? that is :"Inference from defective or presumptive evidence or a conclusion deduced by surmise or guesswork" according to the dictionary . So they say that Freddy guessed at it? Because elsewhere they take responsibility.

The Proclaimers Book does admit that there was more to it : page 104

"In the years following 1966, many of Jehovah’s Witnesses acted in harmony with the spirit of that counsel. However, other statements were published on this subject, and some were likely more definite than advisable. This was acknowledged in The Watchtower of March 15, 1980 (page 17). But Jehovah’s Witnesses were also cautioned to concentrate mainly on doing Jehovah’s will and not to be swept up by dates and expectations of an early salvation".

Wt 1980 March 15 p17

"Considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

6 In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: “If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.” In saying “anyone,” The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date."

I guess that is the nearest thing to an apology for misleading us all . I was there too. I know how it was hyped up , I mean if the present day dubs saw in the Wt that, say 2014, would be significant and could well be the date, What would they do?

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

I suppose you could go to the speaker and ask him to explain what he was talking about...

What were people misled into doing?

Who exactly misled them?

YEs I would ask that question, I remember getting idoits comeing to "visit" a few years ago, I just yearned for the moment to correct these high and mighty men who thought they were Hot sh%t in giving a PT at a KH near them. Just let him have it,

I heard the same crap at a Assembly day 3 years ago and all started to clap, and what happed to all the folks who lives were ruined, are they happy too?

I really think these characters will get their just rewards, makes me sick as I yanked in an Elders meeting because at 17 years of age in 1977 I wanted to go to college!

And all 3 of those "learned smartass ELDER men" 1 is dead, 2 is Df'd for violating his daughter, and the 3rd is in a Mental asylum because he tried to kill his family,

• 00DAD
    00DAD

The didn't "imply" anything:

What will the 1970's Bring? - g1968 10/8, p. 13- 14

The fact that fifty-four years of the period called the "last days" have already gone by is highly significant. It means that only a few years, at most, remain before the corrupt system of things dominating the earth is destroyed by God. How can we be so certain of this?

One ways is by noting what Jesus said when he gave his great prophecy about the "last days." After he listed the many events that would mark this period, he also stated, "Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." -- Matt. 24:34.

Jesus was obviously speaking about those who were old enough to witness with understanding what took place when "the last days" began. Jesus was saying that some of those persons who were alive at the appearance of the 'sign of the last days' would still be alive when God brought this system to its end.

Even if we presume that youngsters 15 years of age would be perceptive enough to realize the import of what happened in 1914, it would still make the youngest of "this generation" nearly 70 years old today. So the great majority of the generation to which Jesus was referring has already passed away in death. The remaining ones are approaching old age. And remember, Jesus said that the end of this wicked world would come before that generation passed away in death. This, of itself, tells us that the years left before the foretold end comes cannot be many. - Emphasis added

- - - - -

See also:

*** Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15 ***

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."--Matt. 24:34.

Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers.

Again, anyone that was "led" to believe anything about 1975 was because the LEADERS LED THEM THERE!

• poppers
    poppers

"some were led to believe that the end would come in 1975"

How could they arrive at that belief on their own when they are taughtconditioned brainwashed not to think for themselves?

• ziddina
    ziddina
    " Why didn't they just state that "some Watchtower writers also contributed to the buildup of hope....."? " Steve2, post #4761, page #2

Some Watchtower writers, and Circuit overseers, and District overseers, and Governing Body members, and Watchtower presidents, and... holy spirit???

And every last one of them got it daymn wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit