that we do not know when Eve was created. So if God waited

6 months to create her after Adam's creation than the 6,000 years

of man's existence would take us into 1976 and if God waited a year to

create Eve then it could be the end of 1976. I then began to realize that

I had beed dupped.

Sour Grapes

• nugget
    nugget

another example of the organisation recreating reality.

• Think About It
    Think About It

I was a young lad with a normal childhood, until the JW scare tactic propaganda of 1975 convinced my mother to study with the JW's. All the JW's believed it, and there was a hysteria about it at the meetings. I have to admit that it was very frightening & convincing at the time.

Think About It

• blondie
    blondie

Well, people born in 1992 would be 20 today 37 years after 1975. Their parents could be 37 to 38 today, born in 1975. But I guess he must have been reading from a current outline that skipped this. Note the passive voice as Leolaia showed above takes away the responsibility of those actually responsible. Note too that the WTS addressed this problem with 1975 in 1976 and had to revisit this in 1980. By then at least 2% of jws for 2 years running had left. I lived during that period and jws that did not believe the end was coming in 1975 had to keep quiet or be viewed as lacking faith. It is interesting that the 1976 quote is not listed under "1975" in the index. The WTS did not take responsibility in 1976 but blamed the rank and file. But with the exodus after that, they were forced to say something but even then blaming some unnameless jws responsible for the writing...didn't the GB have oversight?

*** w80 3/15 pp. 17-18 pars. 5-6 Choosing the Best Way of Life ***

In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

6 In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: “If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.” In saying “anyone,” The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

Who remembers the WT anthem "stay alive till 75"?

At our circuit assemblies we had signs on the stage

that would say 28 months to go. Then then next circuit

assembly it would be 22 months to go. I wish that I

had pictures of that. As we were in 1975 I noticed that

the signs came down. I thought that was strange.

Well I guess in hind sight that I did stay alive till 75 and

I stayed alive until 2012.

Sour Grapes

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

You said it all Blondie with those two quotes. The sad thing for my wife and I is we did not have enough sense to leave after that. It took another 30 years to get it though our heads this was not the truth. It just shows you how effective cult tactic are. Totally ADD

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

"...But aren't we so grateful this didn't happen" - WTF? So they were all anxious for Armageddon to come in 1975 and this rotten old system to finally end but in hindsight they are grateful it didn't? How freakin stupid and childish is that. So at what point will they be grateful when it comes?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The comment of " Aren't we all glad that Armageddon didn't come " comes out now to incite fear toward people who were in the audience

listening as a suggestion that some may never have made it through Armageddon, but now they have the capability and a improved chance to make

through by serving more in Jehovah's earthly kingdom, the Watchtower Publishing house.

Fear has been the underling catalyst used by the WTS. to get people involved with this organization, sure its deceptive and corrupt but it works.

• HappyOutsideTheBox
    HappyOutsideTheBox

Well it was real enough to all those in my hall. I was never going to leave school! We'd all have to run to the Kinddom Hall when it started etc...

I was in a hall packed with special pioneers and a few annointed. It was THE topic of conversation. It was fed from the platform and the literature.

How they can deny it now is astonishing. There is no difference between them and the 'spin doctoring' that goes on in politics where they sucessfully turn black into white and are wide eyed and innocent about it.

Yet again I hold my hands up and say thank goodness I've escaped all the controlling nonsense!

HOTB

• mrquik
    mrquik

Ahh, the cult caught on the horns of a dilemma. For if, as they claim, they are God's channel, why was the cult not informed by Holy Spirit that 1975 was not the year? Why hurt so many people with a blatant lie? Certainly this would violate the first mandate of the true religion; to love one another. On the other hand, if they thought this one up themselves (which they did), they certainly can't apologize & show themselves up as ordinary men. That would mean it's just an opinion & theirs' suck. Arrogance, lies & hypocrisy. I didn't realize they were the mark of the true religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit