I went to the Watchtower Study with the "Selma and Steve" article today, and....

by cedars 66 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

No, I didn't really - but I'm anxious to hear from anyone who did!!

What happened after the paragraph was read? Did anyone try to denounce abusing one's spouse under any circumstances, or were most answers supportive of the "advice" given to Selma, i.e. "put up, shut up, be a more loving wife".

You can still read my article "Won Without A Word - At What Cost?" if you haven't yet done so.

If you haven't already taken our short mini-survey on the subject, please do so.

Otherwise, I'd love to hear from those who attended the meeting.

Cedars

• cantleave
    cantleave

Like hell anyone would. Most will be in a trance-like state, bored out of their tiny minds. Those that are awake, will see everything written by the "filthful slave" as wisdom from above.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Well, Cedars, you "got" me! I clicked instantly on this thread, thinking, "ah, yes, this'll be someone in Australia!"

I've just took your mini-survey on the subject. I haven't yet read all the article, because the morning presses and I have things to do that do NOT include going to the KH or any other place of worship!

But I'll hope to look in on this thread later.

Edit:

cantleave, thinking of the congregation here, you are so right. What's more, at the end, they'll all look at each other and murmur,

"Lovely Watcxhtower."

"Yes, it was. Lovely."

And that'll be the end of it.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Cedars another great article, I hope will find it's ways to women dealing with domestic violence. The Watchtower Organization claims to be progressive, on the cutting edge of Bible understanding, yet they drop the ball on such a heavy issue.

In Santa Maria, California a sister was being beaten regularly, her husband suffered from psychiatric problems which excused his anger and pure rage. This went on for over a decade, as elders were not trained to deal with domestic abuse, other than tell this sister "to be a better wife.". He threw her down stairs, dragged her by her hair, punched her face in. "Poor little "R" is suffering from depression, his anti-psychotic medication is not working the way it should. "Please don't call the police on my little boy (33 years old)" long-time elder begged. How did this sister get out of this nightmare, finally he commited adultry and she left him. He hounded her, parked out in front of her house, brothers begged "Don't call the police, it will bring Jehovah's name into reproach!"

These inept men may or may not have cared about this child, but their conduct displayed they were concerned about appearances and preceptions the police had about Jehovah's happy family!. There are strong elders who have wanted to come to blows with spineless wife beaters, they are the few in my experiences. Strong courageous elders might call the police, or might take a two-by-four to these vectors skulls. I don't miss having to make decessions with no authority, or scarred body memebers afraid of they might sully the Watchtower's good name.

The same excuses that keep women unsafe from wife beaters, is the same that kept pedophiles deeply entrenched in the Org. Victims become the problem, when victims cry out for help, we were told "not to counsel, to avoid police involvement". Keeping a white washed appearance is the ultimate goal, not help for the victims!

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Cedars another great article, I hope will find it's ways to women dealing with domestic violence. The Watchtower Organization claims to be progressive, on the cutting edge of Bible understanding, yet they drop the ball on such a heavy issue.

In Santa Maria, California a sister was being beaten regularly, her husband suffered from psychiatric problems which excused his anger and pure rage. This went on for over a decade, as elders were not trained to deal with domestic abuse, other than tell this sister "to be a better wife.". He threw her down stairs, dragged her by her hair, punched her face in. "Poor little "R" is suffering from depression, his anti-psychotic medication is not working the way it should. "Please don't call the police on my little boy (33 years old)" long-time elder begged. How did this sister get out of this nightmare, finally he commited adultry and she left him. He hounded her, parked out in front of her house, brothers begged "Don't call the police, it will bring Jehovah's name into reproach!"

These inept men may or may not have cared about this child, but their conduct displayed they were concerned about appearances and preceptions the police had about Jehovah's happy family!. There are strong elders who have wanted to come to blows with spineless wife beaters, they are the few in my experiences. Strong courageous elders might call the police, or might take a two-by-four to these vectors skulls. I don't miss having to make decessions with no authority, or scarred body memebers afraid of they might sully the Watchtower's good name.

The same excuses that keep women unsafe from wife beaters, is the same that kept pedophiles deeply entrenched in the Org. Victims become the problem, when victims cry out for help, we were told "not to counsel, to avoid police involvement". Keeping a white washed appearance is the ultimate goal, not help for the victims!

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

In our congregation, a kid answered up first and related the 'experience' pretty much word for word.

Straight after this the conductor said "So is this paragraph justifying Steve's action?' to which the answer came from an older brother in the audience: "The study was not practising true Christianity. She had to study more. When she changed, the husband noticed."

We then moved right on to the next paragraph. No mention of the fact that Selma says Steve had temper problems even before she started studying. No mention that the sister conducting the study bascially told Selma to "Suck it up and be more Christian, maybe like those guys that died in the Roman circus. They were martyrs, you can be a martyr too. God likes martyrs."

Two comments. One from a kid reading something they could not begin to understand and the other from who seemed to agree that she need to study more and harden up.

The sleep induced incognisance is sometimes breathtaking.

• cedars
    cedars

Winston Smith

Thanks for sharing, that's very interesting...

"So is this paragraph justifying Steve's action?'

To his credit, it sounds like the study conductor was offering a leading question to which he hoped the answer would begin with "no". The older brother who answered either wasn't on his wavelength, or was giving the answer he had already prepared without addressing the supplemental question.

Cedars

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

I agree he was obviously looking for a 'no' but didn't get it. The whole thing was breezed over fairly quickly. I think it goes to show that people either don't study their WT or if they do, don't study it too deeply or think on what they learn. That, I guess is why so many remain asleep - they don't look deep because it is all handed to them on a plate. If they took the time to pick apart what they were learning, they'd find more holes than a swiss cheese factory.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I think it shows they're all scared about disagreeing with the party line.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think it goes to show that people either don't study their WT or if they do, don't study it too deeply or think on what they learn. That, I guess is why so many remain asleep -

That goes without saying.

This site and others (jwfacts for example) demonstrate that if one seriously studies WT publications they WILL learn something....... They will learn TTATT!

It's a hell of a lot easier to site there and read the highlighted word for word quote (that's what qualified as "studying", isn't it?) without thinking about what you are saying. Not nearly the emotional rollercoaster you get if you start digging into things.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit