2011 Yearbook= BEARDS are still for non-Witnesses ONLY!!!! Beard Fear?

by Witness 007 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Back in the late 1980s when I worked for Tandy Corporation (Radio Shack), they hired an IBM castoff to be a Senior VP. He immediately imposed a new dress code on all Tandy store employees and corporate managers. This even included employees out in little franchise Radio Shacks located in the desert or in the Ozarks. They insisted that we all use the then popular "Dress for Success" model (John T. Molloy, 1988) whether we ever met the public or not.

"Dress for Success" meant that you had to have the "IBM salesman look." Wool blend suits, white long-sleeved shirts, conservative ties. You had to cut your hair up over your ears, shave your sideburns above your earlobes, and lose all facial hair.

This caused a great deal of distress among African-American store managers since facial hair was very much in vogue within that community at the time. Plus many African-American men suffer from skin irritations due to shaving. In spite of numerous requests for waivers, the Tandy SrVP would not budge, not even for medical waivers. Several long-time managers were fired for not following the edict to the letter.

At the time Tandy Radio Shack was trying to compete with IBM in the computer sales and integration market. The market they were competing in included school districts, government entities, and small businesses. To Tandy upper management having the field sales teams dress in the IBM manner made sense. But Tandy's requirement also applied to service and repair people, headquarters support staff, and part-time Radio Shack store employees. That made no sense at all.

The Watchtower Society must have read that book around the same time, because it seemed that beards and mustaches became verboten around the early 1980s. I remember growing up that we had two or three middle-aged brothers that wore beards in my Kingdom Hall (1955-1965) and quite a few younger brothers had neatly trimmed mustaches. One brother looked like Santa Claus and a KH servant looked like James Mason as Captain Nemo in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."

After Tandy implemented its dress code, a major industry magazine (maybe Computer World) came out with an editorial article about the changes forced on Radio Shack employees. I think that what they wrote applies equally to elders and other male Jehovah's Witnesses that follow the Watchtower's dress codes:

"Let's face it, Radio Shack may be trying to make their male store managers and computer techs 'put on a new face' in an attempt to compete with IBM. But the truth is that a doofus without a beard is still a doofus..."

JV

• JWOP
    JWOP

It's so interesting:

Christ, who they claim to be the leader of the Congregation, had a beard.
    Charles Russell, who they claim to have founded the Bible Students/JWs, also had a prominent beard.

So....why exactly can't any other man have a beard???

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

He Riley, welcome and most of us here are cool, join the club and help others out.

• biometrics
    biometrics

Didn't Charles Taze Russell have a beard? And based on the custom at the time, Jesus would have had a beard ... nevermind, they were never Jehovah Witness.

What's also strange is I was told JW men didn't have beards because it wasn't the custom (in western civilization). So why are they picking on a new convert in Papa Nu-Guinea, where it is the custom for men to have a beard?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The GB just can't seem to be able to let go of the 50's

• mP
    mP

Does the WT want all hair shaved, under arms and in other places ?

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I was often involved in dramas at the District Conventions and in the the early days of costumed dramas some brothers grew their own beard. Then all those who were in dramas were told to keep quiet about the subject of the dramas and that growing a beard would not be a good idea if you didn't want others to know you were a participent. Of course while you were growing a beard you would not be fit to go out in the ministry...At a quick build in my own congregation I was turned away because I hadn't shaved for a couple of days. I had no intention of growing a beard, I had been on site almost day and night and hardly went home to shower and shave...I guess my unshaven face nullified all the free labour I had put in and God could not see through the facial hair.

• JWOP
    JWOP

NVR2L8, that's just plain sad.

They worry about people seeing them as a "cult", but then they put on ridiculous rules to make everyone look like mindless drones... sigh.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Just as an aside to this one:

- if p.117 of the yearbook does actually use the term "Papa Nu-Guinea", then the level of education amongst the JWs has indeed plumbed to new depths!

Ever since gaining independence in 1975, that country has been known as "Papua New Guinea." Previously, it was known as the Territory of Papua and New Guinea; and prior to 1945, it consisted of (i) Papua (which was Australian territory), and (ii) the Mandated Territory of New Guinea (a former German colony, Australian-administered after WWI, under a League of Nations Mandate).

But "Papa Nu-Guinea" - never!

Bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit