What is the worst date you've ever had???

by the_raisin 38 Replies latest social relationships

• designs
    designs

Dated a JW from LA for a summer, things were going along ok, we were at a Party in Laguna Beach one night and a friend came up and said 'So how long you been dating married women'

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I had two weird ones. One, I met this man at a very classy mixer. I lived in a law school dorm. On the subway home (he walked me home), he started asking if I had a roommate and if there was a partition. I knew about .000001% about him. Since I was flooded with dates, I agreed to have dinner and see a film with him. He told me his net assets on the subway ride. He had a scary attitude but I not criminal. Evidently, he thought I should be enthralled with his resume (even tho I had my own). He made a big point that I wasn't on the edge of my chair. He wasn't interesting! Maybe he was right. As I finished my meal and came out of a reverie of a few moments, there was no one across the table! I had no money. When I called the waitress over, I asked if I owed anything. I explained I was a student down the street and could bring money later. She was so upset for me. I just laughed and told her I was relieved.

The other one was just funny. Someone at the firm fixed me up with a bona fide intellectual prep school type. I graduated from a ghetto, working class environment. We both had idential associate jobs at large NY law firms. Men have it hard b/c they feel so "on" to sell themselves. He was very sweet. All night I heard in excruciating detail what he did (which was what everyone was doing).

It is an ongoing problem for me. I want to seem engaged in the conversation and curious about the other person. The sales pitch is too thick usually. I can't make a comment or ask a question. This frustrates me b/c my life is exciting and adventurous too. I get jealous that men can go on "sell" so readily when I was taught to be deferential and little girlish.

I can't believe how younger women ask men out today. Not my generation (unless you were already friends). It sickens me but I am also jealous. It must be so hard for men to always pursue and for women, like me, raised with conflicting trends, to play this dance.

I try to get the conversation into the weather, the arts, the newspaper (but not partisan politics!), city improvements, statutes in Central Park, anything. It seems as though we go on Human Resources dates.

Oh, the men who rage against ex-wives and gfs. They scare me. What will they do to me? If you have a true disgusting story and are justified, a first date is not the place to vent. Pay a therapist.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I can't top some of these stories, and won't even try. I'll just tell ya one or two that should be told. These go back to a time when I was young and awkward. - and very introverted and shy. I was a young JW who lived on his own and thought that I was really cool.

1) I met this young lady named Nelda. I asked her out, which was a difficult thing for me to do, half expecting rejection. She said 'ok', and so I took her out to dinner and a movie. In hindsight, taking a gal to a buffet-type restaurant is probably not a good idea, but I didn't know the 'rules' for dating.

Anyway, I thought that we had had a good time (the movie was 'Rocky'), I took her home, and said goodnight. Didn't do anything inappropriate... didn't even kiss her. (Knowing me, back then I probably shook her hand.)

The next day, I did the usual 'follow up' phone call, and started talking to her. She told me she was reading one of the revelation books. I started talking about that with her, and she stopped me and said (and I quote), "Look. I don't want you to call me anymore. I just want to be friends."

I never did call her again, and we're friends to this day. (A bit of sarcasm there... for those sarcasm-inhibited.)

Funny thing... a few months later, I was dating my first girl-friend, and we were driving to one of those circuit assemblies. I was driving my girlfriends' black Monte Carlo, and we passed this Nelda girl getting off of a city bus. I asked if we could stop and give her a lift, which we did. So, this gal got to see me being successful with another gal, while she still struggled along... pioneering. (I'm sure some young-buck MS picked her up in no time.)

We dropped her off at the front entrance while we went to park the car, and forget about her.

2) Around the same time-period, I got asked out by a trio of gals. I knew all of them, and agreed to go to the movies with them. On the way to the movies, they all sat in the front seat, and I sat in the backseat. We all had fun, but it was kinda weird.

I guess that one may not qualify as a date.

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. Just thinking about it... Nelda would probably be relating her side of the story as one of those 'bad dates' with me...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Another time clubbing, my friend and I had an agreement to be each others wingman. He picked up I kept the friend busy, and vice versa. Well one night he picks up so I come along. The girl seems nice and we chat. We end up in the bedroom.

The next morning from conversation I was thinking she was from out of town and staying with a friend. Turns out she had left her husband and child behind in TX. She flew out, settled in at her friend's house, and then went to the club where we met. She starts talking about dating and a new life, and I'm just thinking angry ex husband when he finds out what she's up to. I gave her a fake ph# and left. I was young and I felt like a homewrecker

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I'll tell you my wife's worst date that happened in High School.

She has 3 pretty sisters and 2 brothers and their Dad is and Elder and substitute C.O. She and her Sisters were all asked to the High School Prom which of course they knew their parents wouldn't allow them to accept. The girls got a lucky break because their Dad had to fill in for a C.O in another state which meant the parents would be driving out of town on the weekend with the younger siblings, attending to the flock.

With the parents gone, the girls all got dressed for the prom and were picked up separately by thier dates. My wifes and her date stopped to eat at a restaraunt with a group of other kids. After the group had finished their meal and were waiting for desert to come, the booth they were sitting in collapsed and they all wound up on the floor lying on their backs with their feet straight up in the air. After that little scene ended the girls headed to the ladies room to fix their hair and dresses which were all askew. When they came back out to the lobby the guys grabbed them and told them to run....they were going to dine and dash without paying. They all ran out to the car laughing and tore out of the parking lot and headed to the dance.

The dance went fine, they had a nice time but when my wife's date (that sounds weird to say) took her home she realized that one of her sisters had the house key so she was locked out. Her date managed to find an open bathroom window and offered to climb in and open the front door. The window was located over the bathtub. On the way in he lost his balance and grabbed the shower curtain which gave way. On the way down he grabbed the towel bar which ripped out of the wall. He stumbled his way through the dark house to the front door and opened it. My wife stepped inside and he stepped outside and stood on the porch both feeling akward and not knowing what to do. Finally he said "well...I guess I'll see ya at School Monday" turned and left.

By Sunday evening her parents had returned and the girls managed to get the bathroom back together. All was well until Monday evening at the dinner table when her Dad, after asking them how things went this weekend suddenly says " So ....how was the Prom?" They were stunned, they thought they were in the clear. Apparently one of the ladies he worked with had been a Chaperone at the dance and had come up to him on Monday and told him how beautiful his girls looked at the Prom .

Luckily her Dad was a reasonable man and took it pretty well.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

jam- Whoooooa that was unexpected!!!! And the second annecdote, JEBUS hahahahahahaha sorry, but that one, that one is pretty funny!!!

Terry- My glob, poor lady!!! And she was so nice and all, jebus :(

exwhyzee- Wow what a brat, but I bet the look on her face when she saw you and your good looking family was priceless!!!

designs- HA, you homewrecker you!

Band on The Run- The first guy was such a jerk to leave you like that!!!! Well, I have no problem myself with the women asking men out first, or even proposing. I however got an old fashioned husband, he did the asking and he keeps the dates :)

Jim_TX- That Nelda lady sounds... kinda crazy lol. Who does that stuff??? Man, must've been a very awkard ride!!!

what happened? - We got another homewrecker lol.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Hey exwhyzee that last one is HILLARIOUS. But your wife and her sisters sure are lucky to have such a reasonable man, others would just lock up their daughters and 'git their guns' to threaten the young men (my uncle did this. Shotgun wedding anyone?)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

the_raisin:

I had two bad dates that were equally bad (I was in my 20s). Once, on a dare from my sister, I entered a dating service. When I met the guy in a restaurant he scared me so I would not go anywhere else with him and the evening ended early. I apologized but he was angry and muttered a threat at me.

Lesson learned: no dating services.

The second date:

The date started out badly. We were supposed to go into a restaurant that had a nice view. We sat down and were asked to move because the seats were "reserved". This pissed him off greatly because we were shown to seats that did not have a view. When we ordered drinks, I ended up getting something that had a piece of glass at the bottom of it (no kidding). I didn't like his general attitude and if I had known what was to follow I would have excused myself to go to the ladies room and I would have sneaked out and taken a cab home. That is why you always have to have "mad money" on you.

Anyway, we finished our drinks and he was in a hurry to end the evening early (or so it seemed). As we were driving home, conversation was strained and I asked a few general questions because after all he was a stranger and I wanted to appear social at least. He gave a few short sarcastic remarks and for the rest of the ride it was silence. When we got nearer to my neighborhood, he asked me where a liquor store was. (He thought we going to go "parking", imagine the nerve.) (Hell, NO). I said, "I am not interested in drinking". I wasn't just insulted because he was a "cheap date" but because he was not appealing enough for me to want to get close to, if you know what I mean. We just had very bad chemistry.

Silence till he gets me in front of my house. He says: "Get out". I said: "I'm really sorry you didn't have a good time". (In truth, I wanted to get away from him). As I am getting out of the car (and out of his reach), he yells something vulgar. I yelled back: "did you think you were going to get..........for free". Then he yells something back.

I couldn't wait to get in my house! That was another lesson learned and probably one of the last times I ever went out with a total stranger alone. I have no patience for this now and if I ever meet somebody it has to be somebody who is known to friends, etc.

• compound complex
  • rocketman
    rocketman

Compound Complex - you just won my Favorite Post of The Year Award!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit